The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-01-2014, 03:45 PM

Default NGD: Michaud OO-R Koa Engelmann

Hi guys!

I have actually been sitting on this for a while because I have been really caught up and haven't had the time to take pictures, but here it is! A Joel Michaud OO-R Koa Engelmann, featuring Master grade (AAAA) Engelmann spruce top and AAA flamed Koa back and sides (actually double sides with Koa as well). You can find out more about him on his newly launched website: www.michaudmade.com

I will be posting a video or two on YouTube in the upcoming months to showcase the guitar, but meanwhile let me attempt to describe it. I will try to be as objective as possible with my experience with it (which is hard as I have fallen in love with his work). Describing tone would be hard as it is quite subjective and I never really know how to describe such a thing. Modern would be the word that comes to mind. Perhaps you would be able to hear it from the recordings. One thing I can say is that I have never played a smaller/OO sized guitar that I've liked one bit till this one.

The first thing I noticed (and others who had given it a go), was its volume. It is unbelievably loud for a guitar, and after I got over how loud it was, I realised it was an OO and still couldn't help but marvel at the volume. I have yet to play a guitar that produced such an immediate punch with such power regardless of size (but then again I have played only a fraction of what many of you guys have played).

With great power comes great sensitivity. The guitar responds to the slightest of touches (so much so that it magnified my mistakes, which is obviously not a fault of the guitar) and can instantly play fortissimo quite effortlessly, a very dynamic guitar with great sustain.

It is also very responsive to hammers, for example right handed tapping. It produces a loud and clear note without as much fret buzz as you often hear. The harmonics ring out clear and long. There is amazing clarity as well and the higher frets on the trebles ring out very sweetly.

Some of you might know that I was contemplating a Lowden build, but after receiving this piece, I decided to go with Joel instead for my build. You might get to see it if you are going down to the Memphis Guitar Festival as it will be showcased. Do go down to his booth, I HIGHLY recommend it! And his booth is right next to Somogyi's (if I'm not mistaken) so you would be killing two birds with one stone :P It is going to be a Master Grade Swiss Moon Spruce top with Tortoise Shell Figured "The Tree" Quilted Mahogany back and double sides. It is going to have a Fanned Fret, Manzer Wedge and possibly a sound port amongst other appointment upgrades.

Joel is an AMAZING guy to work with. He is really passionate about guitars, as I'm sure all luthiers are, not to mention very friendly and honest (He actually tried to dissuade me from commissioning a build from him as he said that if I wanted a Lowden, I shouldn't be looking for him. That was before I tried this guitar of course.

I can't say enough good things about his guitars or him as a luthier. Hope you enjoy the pictures I took

Last edited by Marcus Wong; 11-05-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:51 PM

If someone could kindly advise me on why the photos are not showing up, that would be greatly appreciated I'm using photo bucket if that information is of any use haha

Also, you can check out a review of the guitar here by Jarvis of The Guitar Spa Singapore whom I sent the guitar to be set up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiDJ...99m3dBU1gh542Q

It is recorded with the camera's mic so it isn't exactly an accurate representation of how it sounds. I will be posting a video hopefully by end of the next month with a proper mic
Old 11-01-2014, 04:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

Just type [img]theactualaddress[/img] (whoops, fixed it) and be sure that the image is actually on the server you name. I host my own at the same place as my website.

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 11-01-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Just type [img]theactualaddress[\img] and be sure that the image is actually on the server you name. I host my own at the same place as my website.
[img]theactualaddress[/img]

Use a forward slash, not a back slash...
Old 11-01-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
If someone could kindly advise me on why the photos are not showing up, that would be greatly appreciated I'm using photo bucket if that information is of any use haha
<<Snippet>>
Congrats!!!

Here are a few of your pics. Just click the "Direct" box on the right side of Photobucket and then paste here within the Image tag.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:35 PM

Need some side shots. Pretty guitar.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

So pretty! I eagerly await a video.

Guys, if you haven't seen Marcus play, you're in for a treat.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Where is Joel located?

Steve
Old 11-01-2014, 07:51 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I really like his designs. He is now on my list.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:52 PM

I believe he's in Montreal or at least Quebec. Beautiful guitars with tremendous aesthetic and finish. We follow one another on IG and his work is stellar. We also share building guitars charitably. I sure by his unassuming wit and good nature that his guitars sound incredible but have not yet had the pleasure of hearing one in person.
Tim
Old 11-01-2014, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Smile Sweet!

I really like Joel's design aesthetics. That is a very nice looking guitar. I can't wait to see and hear the video(s).

I second "Still Crazy" Steve's question, and would love to know where Joel is located.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 11-02-2014, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Just type [img]theactualaddress[/img] (whoops, fixed it) and be sure that the image is actually on the server you name. I host my own at the same place as my website.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
[img]theactualaddress[/img]

Use a forward slash, not a back slash...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Congrats!!!

Here are a few of your pics. Just click the "Direct" box on the right side of Photobucket and then paste here within the Image tag.
Thanks guys so much for the help! I followed the instructions on the FAQ and it came up empty. If it is incorrect maybe someone should request for a change in instructions? Not sure how this kind of thing works but the "Direct" link worked just fine. Thanks again!
Old 11-02-2014, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Need some side shots. Pretty guitar.
I don't have many side shots unfortunately. Are those now enough for you? :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
So pretty! I eagerly await a video.

Guys, if you haven't seen Marcus play, you're in for a treat.
Wow, thanks so much for that flattering comment Rog! I really enjoyed your playing too, even more so since they are live! Will definitely post it here once I have it recorded
Old 11-02-2014, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
Where is Joel located?

Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by timo View Post
I believe he's in Montreal or at least Quebec. Beautiful guitars with tremendous aesthetic and finish. We follow one another on IG and his work is stellar. We also share building guitars charitably. I sure by his unassuming wit and good nature that his guitars sound incredible but have not yet had the pleasure of hearing one in person.
Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocobolo Kid View Post
I really like Joel's design aesthetics. That is a very nice looking guitar. I can't wait to see and hear the video(s).

I second "Still Crazy" Steve's question, and would love to know where Joel is located.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I really like his designs. He is now on my list.
Hey guys, he is located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada

His designs are indeed something. I fell in love with the aesthetics as much as the music it produces. He does custom inlays (within reason of course) inclusive of his base price which is on his website so you will have no problem getting the kind of look you want

As timo has mentioned, do check out his IG. You can see a lot more photos of his builds there -> http://ink361.com/app/users/ig-53726...audmade/photos

He has been SUCH a joy to work with that I think I will be quite saddened when I receive my finished guitar and not be able to discuss it with him at such lengths again haha I would definitely recommend dropping him an email
Old 11-02-2014, 05:55 AM

I love this design. Congratulations!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
engelmann, joel michaud, koa, memphis guitar festival, oo-r