The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-13-2014, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.
Default Are Gibsons any more inconsistent then...

.... other guitars or is this just another one of those false rumors that seem to take on a life of their own on a forum. It seems that once a given number of people agree on something - whether they've actually experienced it or not - that 'something' becomes an accepted truth.

For years now I've kept reading threads on the AGF about how much the sound quality of Gibsons vary. Maybe I've been traveling on the wrong planet but my from my experience Gibsons simply haven't cornered the market any more than other factory brands when it comes to inconsistency.

One of the ways I pass time on the road is stopping into guitar shops and trying out as many guitars as I can. In all the years of doing this I can safely say that I've found gems and duds among all of the 'factory' brands. The only exceptions were top of the line models such as Martin's Authentics but as in anything else there is always the exception.

However it seems that too many folks have jumped on the 'Gibsons are so inconsistent' bandwagon without checking to see if the wheels are spinning correctly.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Strange how many times this has come up in the last day, considering that Gibsons don't get talked about that much here. It used to be a real issue and you'll see it in many vintage Gibsons. But, they're pretty consistent these days and have been for the last dozen years or so. People have a hard time letting go of the old issues though and keep parroting that they're inconsistent. They're still pretty sloppy in terms of cosmetics though, at least for that price range.

Last edited by Bowie; 10-13-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:20 PM

Wink

Are Gibsons any more inconsistent then...
.... other guitars or is this just another one of those false rumors that seem to take on a life of their own on a forum?

Not in my observations. Maybe 15 -20 years ago, but not anymore.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:29 PM

I don't think they have fooled the public for 120 years, do you?
Old 10-13-2014, 08:30 PM

I have not the depth of experience you do Toby, in the state of guitar build consistency. However, I have been a round a bit and I've come to understand that consistency is an elusive goal that few ever can achieve over an extended period of time.

The longer a producer continues to produce the greater the odds are that one off errors and mishaps will take place and undoubtedly every business comes to points in their history where the frequency of these errors and mishaps become more frequent; at time even become systemic in the products production.

According to the current interview with the Acoustic Letter. Gibson apparently went though a period of such a systemic failure when they shut down acoustic production to make room for their hottest product (ew electric!). Then again when the bean counters introduced money saving policy which didn't take into account the condition of the product as much as the bottom line.

It happens. It doesn't matter what the company is, or who founded it, or their professional ethic. To some degree these breaches do take place and it is the fortunate company that has a sustained existence without these breaches in quality becoming a systemic failure.

Those that succeed the most are the ones that capture these failures and adjust their straight to correct the short comings.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 10-13-2014, 08:32 PM

Gibson does SEEM to still be more inconsistent than Martin, that's my observation. That doesn't prevent me from buying Gibsons though, I like that bit of ' hand made ' technique that Bozeman Montana provides. It makes me feel like I'm getting a more hand made instrument, than let's say Martin. I'm not saying my viewpoints are true, I'm just saying this is my perception. You always buy what you like, and that's what I do. I just am less picky about minor craftsmanship details that others may pine about,

H
Old 10-13-2014, 09:55 PM

Default Are Gibsons any more inconsistent then...

Maybe in some of their previous times . It has been my experience that the current Bozeman models to be very consistent . From the late 90's to the present have been some pretty solid years in terms of quality .
Old 10-13-2014, 10:31 PM

From my shopping for a couple of new Gibsons over the past couple of years, while also buying a couple of new Taylors and Martins during the same time, I've found no difference between the three in consistency. Some I like more than others but always excellent ones in the mix. Always something that screamed "take me home".
Old 10-13-2014, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

I have a little hypothesis about this. I have a strong affection for both Gibson and Martin guitars. I do think Gibsons are more inconsistent, but I attribute that to the nature of the guitar, not quality control. To my ear, Gibson guitars have a rawer and more lively sound than Martins, which are fairly "tame" by comparison. "Lively" has greater tendency toward variation than "tame" and, this alone, would make for a less consistent product.

1937 Gibson L-50
2006 Gibson Advanced Jumbo
2018 Gerundino Hijo Negra
2019 Gerundino Hijo Blanca
2019 Eastman T49D/V-AMB
2021 MJT VTJ
2021 McPherson Sable
2022 Antonio Raya Ferrer Negra
2022 Eastman Romeo LA
2023 Rivolta Combinata XVII
2023 Peerless Gigmaster SC
Old 10-13-2014, 10:39 PM

In my somewhat limited experience, I think that the Gibson variability from copy to copy is greater. I find greater tonal differences and certainly fit and finish/build differences with them than I do with Martin and certainly Taylor, for instance. I don't have experience with older Gibson but that's my impression with current manufacturing.

That said, it's sort of fun -- there are tonally not-so-inspiring copies and some that blow your socks off. Some quite rough around the edges and others tidy.

To me, finding a slightly rough around the edges Gibson that is tonally stellar is hitting the jackpot.

I think of Gibson as more of an Americana folk-art manufacturer with craftsman "flaws" that add to the uniqueness. Get a good one and it's inspirational.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:55 PM

The quality Gibson flat tops have been inconsistent ever since I can remember. IMHO, only about 10-15% are good to excellent. The rest qualify as 6-string wall decor.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:06 PM

I'd say they're actually pretty consistent. Problem is that they're consistently mediocre.

In fairness though, I've come to realize that the tone I hear on recordings (and like) doesn't suit my tastes when I play one in person. In a store, I'm looking for richness and overtones. Gibson does dry and fundamental (which records well).
Old 10-13-2014, 11:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneal View Post
I'd say they're actually pretty consistent. Problem is that they're consistently mediocre.

In fairness though, I've come to realize that the tone I hear on recordings (and like) doesn't suit my tastes when I play one in person. In a store, I'm looking for richness and overtones. Gibson does dry and fundamental (which records well).
The fact that you don't like it doesn't mean it's mediocre and doesn't warrant brand bashing. There are innumerous hit songs still being cranked out that didn't suffer too badly from being played on a Gibson...
Old 10-13-2014, 11:45 PM

I agree. I've played real duds from every major brands as well as ones that caught my ear. I've also seen horrible setups on most brands (though Taylors have had the fewest cases in my experience).
Old 10-13-2014, 11:55 PM
Charter Member

Cool This...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post
The quality Gibson flat tops have been inconsistent ever since I can remember. IMHO, only about 10-15% are good to excellent. The rest qualify as 6-string wall decor.
Pretty much my experience as well... I'm speaking of EXCEPTIONAL guitars here, not just okay ones...

I think Martin acoustic guitars are also inconsistent, but not to the degree of Gibson. I have heard of both companies staunchly defending shoddy and just- plain-wrong construction and finish work; again Gibson much more than Martin.

It has nothing to do with whether either company makes good guitars; OF COURSE THEY DO! It has more to do with the ones that get put on the market that are less-than instruments. I feel that both Gibson and Martin spent a good couple decades sitting on their "laurels", and both companies have shown a lot more dedication to their product/craft in the past 10 years or so... I also believe that a lot of that had to do with Taylor taking such a huge chunk of their market share... for which we ALL have Taylor to thank!

As for all those hit songs written on Gibsons? When you are writing songs for a living, you make whatever you have on hand do the work... until you get famous and can afford a multitude of different guitars...

Come on guys... Gibson's idiotic marketing and "improvements" to existing classic models is well-documented and shouldn't need to be defended. Gibson has made one major gaffe after another with their guitars, especially acoustic guitars, since the mid-60's when some genius thought it would be smart to put a metal bar and large screws into the bridge so the saddle could be adjusted...

I'd call this "poor business and quality" bashing, as opposed to Gibson acoustic guitar bashing...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion