The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 09-15-2014, 02:25 PM

Default Webber Roundbody cedar/mahogany cutaway - PRICE DROP

Reposting this superb guitar with a significant price drop. I very strongly feel that these guitars are undervalued at the best of times - and this price, for this guitar, may very well be the best value available on the AGF. True luthier-built quality at a shocking price point.

SOLD - thanks AGF!
-----

Up for sale is a superb, clean, visually and tonally gorgeous 1994 Webber Roundbody in cedar/mahogany with sharp cutaway. I currently own 7 Webber instruments and this one is as toneful and responsive as any. My reason for selling is that, having just received my 4th commission from David, my custom-specced Webbers simply fit me better physically (I have small hands and those guitars are short scale, 1 11/16" nut).

This guitar has a 1 3/4" nut, 25.5" scale length, and is 1/4" deeper than David's standard build. It is in superb condition for a 20 year-old guitar. The cedar top has only mild impressions in it (mostly near the bass side edge of the soundhole, presumably from a previous owner's thumbpick), with only one tiny pinpoint dent that broke the finish. You can only see any of these on close inspection in tangential lighting, and in fact I couldn't get them to show up in photos at all. Plenty of people would just call this a 9/10 and leave it at that, but I like to be detailed.

Frets are barely worn at all and easily have a decade or two of heavy playing left in them before a refret could be considered. Action is nice and low with a huge amount of saddle left. 2 decades in and this guitar still looks to be very many decades away from ever needing a neck reset. I have included photos to demonstrate these facts. The photo of the fret wear is showing literally the most-worn spot on the entire neck- most frets are in way better shape, but even that spot is barely worn.

The tone is absolutely lovely. Responsive. Warm. Deep. Articulate. String-to-string definition and consistency of tone and intonation up and down the neck, as anybody who has ever played a Webber would expect. The extra 1/4" of depth does make this guitar warmer and deeper than more recent builds in this tonewood combo. David had already built hundreds of guitars by the time he built this one, and clearly knew what he was doing. I also feel that this guitar proves that cedar guitars do open up and change over time, which I know David agrees with. It has the extra responsiveness and clarity over recent builds that come with years of being played. It also handles flatpicking and strumming better than any cedar guitar I have ever owned, including my 2011 Webber Roundbody in cedar/maple.

I am pricing this very fairly at $1550 plus S/H. I do not take PayPal but am comfortable with wire transfer, certified cheque, money order, or personal cheque (with time to clear). I am in Canada and have sold many instruments across the US border without incident and know how to properly (obsessively?) package a fine guitar. Numerous references available on request. Glad to discuss any details of this guitar over the phone, PM, or e-mail.

Last edited by MBE; 10-11-2014 at 06:12 AM.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:22 AM

Someone should gobble this fine guitar up, and fast. What a steal for one of the best guitars from a terrific luthier. Roundbodies are David's signature model, combining volume, projection, and versatility in an appealing body style.

Great seller to boot...

2011 Webber Roundbody - Reaction Engelmann/Quilted Honduran Mahogany

2015 Webber OM - Bear Claw Sitka/Fiddleback Honduran Mahogany

2016 Webber OO - Engelmann/Figured Cocobolo

2019 Webber L-OO - Bear Claw Engelmann/Old Growth Figured Brazilian
Old 09-16-2014, 05:13 PM

That's a ridiculously low price. For a crazy-good guitar. From a wonderful seller. Can't go wrong here!!
Old 09-17-2014, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Default crazy question..

You say the scale length is 25.5...what is David's "short scale" length?
Old 09-17-2014, 03:45 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
You say the scale length is 25.5...what is David's "short scale" length?
99% sure it's 24.9

Old 09-17-2014, 03:50 PM

"99% sure it's 24.9"

Correct as usual, Todd... I've had six of them...

2011 Webber Roundbody - Reaction Engelmann/Quilted Honduran Mahogany

2015 Webber OM - Bear Claw Sitka/Fiddleback Honduran Mahogany

2016 Webber OO - Engelmann/Figured Cocobolo

2019 Webber L-OO - Bear Claw Engelmann/Old Growth Figured Brazilian
Old 09-18-2014, 07:34 AM

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

It is correct that David's short scale is 24.9", which is my general preference.

I am also pleased to say that this guitar is now on hold pending payment.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:54 PM

Default Status

Has this guitar been sold/still on hold?
Old 10-11-2014, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmusic123 View Post
Has this guitar been sold/still on hold?
I can happily confirm that this guitar is sold.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars