The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-29-2014, 02:56 PM

Default Why plastic bridge pins on the HD-28?

My HD-28 has "select rosewood back" and "ebony fretboard" - wow - and plastic bridge pins - what? - Is Martin skimping on the pins or has Martin tested and proven that plastic bridge pins and rosewood are the perfect mix tonally?

I have nothing against plastic bridge pins - in fact I switched them for tusq once - disaster - tusq killed the tone so the plastic pins went back in

to my ear, plastic pins are great - yet being so cheap, they just seem so incongruous compared to the rest of the HD's "select material" - maybe the pins are select plastic

Last edited by bitraker; 06-29-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:02 PM

I think the theory is that they are tone neutral and not subject to expanding with humidity thus wont split the bridge pin hole. Same thing with the end pin.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:12 PM

Ah...makes sense..thanks
Old 06-29-2014, 03:17 PM

whats Boltaron ?
Old 06-29-2014, 03:26 PM

Default Why plastic bridge pins on the HD-28?

I have some really nice Yamahas (yes, there is such a thing) - beautiful woods, purfling, marquetry, the whole thing. And they have the cheapest seeming plastic bridge pins imaginable. I sometimes think of changing them, but then I think "Why add weight?"
So same as the OP, tho the Yammies are arguably not as nice as an HD-28
Old 06-29-2014, 03:27 PM
Guest 1928

Martin has used plastic pins as their primary material for about a century, which includes the prewar D-45's. While it may seem odd to us now, it is consistent with Martin's tradition.

Boltaron is PVC. Martin has used that for binding since 1966 when it became more difficult to source celluloid.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:27 PM

D-28's have used plastic pins since the model was introduced in 1931, originally made of Bakelite or hard celluloid.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadful View Post
D-28's have used plastic pins since the model was introduced in 1931, originally made of Bakelite or hard celluloid.
...which are hard plastics and hold up fairly well, as opposed to the "thermoplastic" Martin's been using for decades, which is a soft plastic and will bend more readily under the tension of string balls.

So not all plastic is equal.

Contemporary luthier Willi Henkes designed a series of pins for vintage Martins and Gibsons called Authentic Acoustics Replica pins that are sold by Elderly and Bernunzio Uptown Music here in the states. They're made of galalith, which according to Willi "is by far the best material available today. It is in hardness, mass, and durability very similar and even better working than the old hard celluloid, in my opinion. Thermoplastic for pins is the worst."
Old 06-29-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordie View Post
whats Boltaron ?
According to the Luthiers Mercantile International website, "Boltaron™ is an extruded ABS/PVC Alloy."

In other words, it's a specific brand of ABS/PVS plastic.

As to why Martin uses plastic bridge pins, as Todd pointed it, it's Martin's longstanding practice to use plastic bridge pins. And while I realize that it's TERRIBLY declassé of me, I actually prefer plastic bridge pins to pins made from any other material. As Mike pointed out, they don't color the tone and they don't shrink or swell with changes in humidity.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-29-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
So not all plastic is equal.
Martin has been using very soft plastic pins for the new D-28A's that are terrible. I replaced mine with bone. Here is a picture after I changed the strings the day after my D-28A 1931 arrived:
Old 06-29-2014, 04:16 PM

John Arnold's photo of a plastic celluloid pin from the 1930's and a soft thermoplastic pin from the 1970's illustrates the difference in durability. The 30's pin is also non-slotted, which further helps longevity.

But there is nothing "wrong" with Martin's thermoplastic pins: one should just periodically check their health and replace as necessary to avoid plate damage. Goodness knows they're inexpensive enough to toss and replace, the ideal disposable pin.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:34 PM

The probable reasons that Martin uses plastic pins are they don't swell with humidity and possibly split the unreamed pin holes, they are cheaper than the alternatives, and many people are of the opinion that pins don't make a tonal difference. It makes little business sense to use something more expensive when a good portion of your customer base doesn't perceive any additional benefit.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:39 PM

[QUOTE=bitraker;
I have nothing against plastic bridge pins - in fact I switched them for tusq once - disaster - tusq killed the tone so the plastic pins went back into my ear, plastic pins are great

.....I myself once replaced the plastic pins in my Martin J-40 to ebony...changed the tone for the worse...then I tried tusq...ruined the tone completely.....finally returned to the plastic pins Martin put in it. Perfect again. My guess is that if every guitar maker put ebony, tusq or some other pin in their guitars, there would be a run on plastic pins!
Old 06-29-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitraker View Post
My HD-28 has "select rosewood back" and "ebony fretboard" - wow - and plastic bridge pins - what? - Is Martin skimping on the pins or has Martin tested and proven that plastic bridge pins and rosewood are the perfect mix tonally?

I have nothing against plastic bridge pins - in fact I switched them for tusq once - disaster - tusq killed the tone so the plastic pins went back in

to my ear, plastic pins are great - yet being so cheap, they just seem so incongruous compared to the rest of the HD's "select material" - maybe the pins are select plastic
my D-41 has plastic too.
the reason is,
Life is like a box of chocolates.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:43 PM

Wooden bins will swell with humidity - but bone is surely stable, isn't it?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion