The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-07-2014, 01:51 PM

Default Custom Guitars from Paracho, Mexico

From time to time, I see questions here on AGF in regard to buying custom handmade guitars in Mexico. There is a small handful of luthiers in Michoacan who make excellent quality guitars (both nylon and steel string) for a very reasonable price. Most specialize in classical and flamenco guitars, but a few make great steel string guitars as well. The best of the best, selling to some of the worlds best guitarists, I thought some of you might find this list useful (from Salon International). If you want to contact someone listed below and you don't speak Spanish, PM me and I will help.

Salvador Castillo Garcia
Av Independencia #200 Col Centro / Paracho Michoacan Mexico / Telefono 423 5251870
www.guitarrascastillo.com.mx E-Mail: [email protected]

Carlos Pina
Cuahutemoc 64 Col Centro / Paracho Michoacan Mexico / Telefono 423 5250648
www.carlospina-guitarras.com.mx E-mail: [email protected]
Jose Luis Diaz
Av 20 de Noviembre #361 Col Centro / Paracho Michoacan Mexico / Tel 423 5250436
E-mail: [email protected] www.joseluisdiaz-guitarras.com

Benito Huipe
Av Independencia #257 Col Centro / Telefono 423 5251411
E-mail: [email protected] www.benitohuipe.com

Daniel Caro Leonardo
VASCO DE QUIROGA, 99 ESQUINA CON ALLENDE, Col Centro / Telefono 423 5250097
E-mail: [email protected]

Fructuoso Zalapa Luna
Ocampo 724 int. 28 Col. Felícitas del Río / Morelia, Michoacán, Mexico, C.P. 58040 / Tel. (443)327-8737
http://splashurl.com/l5l4h5p E-mail: [email protected]

David Caro Leonardo
Av. Independencia #67 / Paracho, Michoacán, Mexico, C.P. 60250 / Tel. (423)5250464

Jesus Fuerte
Av. 20 de Noviembre 310, Col Centro / Paracho / tel 423 5250694
E-Mail: [email protected]

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!

Last edited by billder99; 05-07-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:32 PM

Thanks for that. Ive often wondered about what the quality of the guitars there would be. Ive seen the video of Benito building a guitar with a knife in what looked like a chicken coop. I have a daughter that winters in Mexico so maybe Ill ask her to check it out. I do worry about her there but she says its just like the US.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:38 PM

that's very nice of you to offer to help out those who don't speak spanish, but are interested in a mexican-built guitar.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Thanks for that. Ive often wondered about what the quality of the guitars there would be. Ive seen the video of Benito building a guitar with a knife in what looked like a chicken coop. I have a daughter that winters in Mexico so maybe Ill ask her to check it out. I do worry about her there but she says its just like the US.
As in the US, it depends on where you live. Most of Mexico is quiet, peaceful, friendly, safe... border areas and big cities are the exception, but they are only about 5% of Mexico land area. I have been here full time for 8+ years now, really love it.

The "laderos" in the Paracho area are a little more advanced now, but they still do much of their work the old way. It is incredible the beautiful quality tone and playability they can produce using modest tools.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 05-07-2014, 05:37 PM

What a gracious and excellent post, Thank You!
Old 05-08-2014, 08:11 AM

I thought I posted a reply but can't find it.

Thanks for the list. No mention of Francisco Navarro? I have one of his upper end classicals and really enjoy it.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
Salvador Castillo Garcia
Av Independencia #200 Col Centro / Paracho Michoacan Mexico / Telefono 423 5251870
www.guitarrascastillo.com.mx E-Mail: [email protected]

Carlos Pina
Cuahutemoc 64 Col Centro / Paracho Michoacan Mexico / Telefono 423 5250648
www.carlospina-guitarras.com.mx E-mail: [email protected]
Jose Luis Diaz
Av 20 de Noviembre #361 Col Centro / Paracho Michoacan Mexico / Tel 423 5250436
E-mail: [email protected] www.joseluisdiaz-guitarras.com

Benito Huipe
Av Independencia #257 Col Centro / Telefono 423 5251411
E-mail: [email protected] www.benitohuipe.com

Daniel Caro Leonardo
VASCO DE QUIROGA, 99 ESQUINA CON ALLENDE, Col Centro / Telefono 423 5250097

Fructuoso Zalapa Luna
Ocampo 724 int. 28 Col. Felícitas del Río / Morelia, Michoacán, Mexico, C.P. 58040 / Tel. (443)327-8737
http://splashurl.com/l5l4h5p E-mail: [email protected]

David Caro Leonardo
Av. Independencia #67 / Paracho, Michoacán, Mexico, C.P. 60250 / Tel. (423)5250464

Jesus Fuerte
Av. 20 de Noviembre 310, Col Centro / Paracho / tel 423 5250694
E-Mail: [email protected]
Some of the website links don't work.

I have a Huipe flamenco guitar, which I like a lot.

There are some truly fine luthiers in Paracho. IMO Salvador Castillo makes some of the best rosewood flamencos around.

Francisco Navarro is the most well known of the Paracho luthiers, his son Marlon's guitars are supposed to be very good too.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:41 AM

Default Bit by my own bias/prejudice

First off, let me say that I taught at the Facultad de Psicologia in Merida, Yucatan, Mexico for around 7 months and my dissertation involved developing a Mexican version of a US psychological test and showing their statistical and linguistic equivalence to each other. The point being I have more than a superficial affinity for and experience with the Mexican culture and people and didn't think I was biased/prejudice. Well, this thread taught me otherwise.

While most of the links didn't work for me, I tried them all thinking "things are usually less costly in Mexico than the US so maybe I can find a good Mexican made guitar at a cheap price." The one link I was able to open revealed a base build cost of $4500 USD and I was initially taken aback. So much for a cheap Mexican price. After that initial reaction and subsequent shame response, I realized that location of production should have little to do with production cost and product value which should and I believe generally is based on the skills of the builder and end product quality. Be it Mexico, Ireland, Austrailia (sorry for the spelling mates), Africa, Spain, US or wherever, it is the skill of the builder and quality of the build that generally drives costs, not the location. What an idiot I was for thinking different. I apologize for my cultural prejudice.

John

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion