The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-09-2013, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Default NGD: Artisan Fretted Instruments parlor by Ivon Schmukler with photos

I stumbled on this nice little parlor guitar by a luthier named Ivon Schmukler who builds guitars under a brand called Artisan Fretted Instruments. He's out of Williamsburg, MA. Here's a link to his web page:

http://leedsguitar.com/ivonschmuklerguitars/

I know nothing about the guitar or the maker (other than what I have read on his web page) but it's a very nice little parlor guitar with a very small body and short scale neck. There's not even any kind of label in the inside, just a hand scrawled signature from Mr. Schmukler.

The woods appear to be spruce on top and either birdseye or curly maple on the back and sides. The fretboard is ebony. He has interesting and unique fretboard and headstock inlays. The guitar is very light weight and small, so it's awesome for sitting and playing on the couch. There are no electronics.

The tone is very sweet and it plays very nice. The guitar currently belongs to a friend of mine who is looking to part with it. I had been looking at Tayor GC bodied 12 fretters and he wanted me to check this one out first. I have to admit, I really like it. I'm not sure what it's worth, or what he wants for it. I might give Mr. Schmukler a call or even visit his shop next time I'm down his way as I have family down in that area.

I posted a query here to see if anyone had any insights into this builder or his guitars it appears that no one has heard of him. If I end up buying the guitar and/or finding out more about it, I'll update this post then. In the meantime, here are a bunch of photos I took moments ago:

Old 11-09-2013, 12:22 PM

with a name like "Schmukler" it has to be good!

OK, got that out of my system. looks like a nice little instrument. coupled with it being a parlor size, having a maple body must give it an incredibly clean sound. looks like fun.

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 11-09-2013, 12:36 PM

I know Ivon. He has been building for about 45 years, and directs the Leeds school of luthery in Massachusetts. I suspect that his luthery origins are connected to Michael Gurian and Eugene Clark.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:58 PM

Really pretty instrument.
Pono OO-20
Pono OP-30DC
Old 11-10-2013, 07:04 AM

Default Ivon

I studied with Ivon in 2008 in Northampton, last student at that location. Helped with the move to his barn. Quit thinking and buy if you can! Awesome tone and playability!!! Still have the two guitars I made with him, are my main guitars. Actually named one after my wife. Enjoy.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the feedback, Howard and Nick. I'm glad someone has heard of the man. Still no sure whether I'll buy it - don't even know what my buddy wants for it yet! but it surely is a nice little parlor guitar. Took it to my local shop today for my trusted guitar tech to give it a very close look for things I might miss and put on some new strings and set it up. He was quite impressed with the guitar as a whole, found nothing wrong with it and loved the tone. So that's another blessing.

I've been thinking of picking up and nice little Taylor 12 fretter, and though this one is not a 12 fretter, it is a short scale and seems to be even smaller body size than the Taylor GC's I've been considering. I wouldn't mind picking up this guitar for it's unique value. That, and I just love saying, "It's a Schmukler!" It really rolls off the tongue and people look at you funny.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion