The Acoustic Guitar Forum  

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-03-2013, 11:10 AM

Default Hard case for checking GS Mini on a flight?

I might have to do some traveling soon and I was looking for a case that would fit the GS Mini that I could check.

I see a couple options:
1) Use the Taylor foam case (probably not sturdy enough)

2) SKB foam case

3) Oklahoma guitar case - I've seen these ads, but isn't this just a classical guitar hardshell case? It seems kind of expensive. Why shouldn't I just get a SKB classical hardshell case?

4) Saga Travelite TL-60: Ran across a thread here: http://www.unofficialtaylorguitarfor...p?topic=3137.0 that suggested the owner was going to use it for flights.

Anyone have any experience with any of these?

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2013, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondstring View Post
I might have to do some traveling soon and I was looking for a case that would fit the GS Mini that I could check.

I see a couple options:
1) Use the Taylor foam case (probably not sturdy enough)

2) SKB foam case

3) Oklahoma guitar case - I've seen these ads, but isn't this just a classical guitar hardshell case? It seems kind of expensive. Why shouldn't I just get a SKB classical hardshell case?

4) Saga Travelite TL-60: Ran across a thread here: http://www.unofficialtaylorguitarfor...p?topic=3137.0 that suggested the owner was going to use it for flights.

Anyone have any experience with any of these?

Thanks!
I haven't tried any of these, but there was another thread on this topic and someone posted a link to a hard SKB case that looked good.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:01 PM

I thought the whole point of the Mini was to put it in the overhead locker ?
Old 11-03-2013, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Default Carry on & Stow Underneath

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
I haven't tried any of these, but there was another thread on this topic and someone posted a link to a hard SKB case that looked good.
This is the main reason I bought the GS Mini, so I travel a lot with it. I don't like checking in any guitars and don't. So, or the GSM, I will carry it to gate in the very sturdy soft bag, loosen the strings and let them stow it on top, where I give them instructions -- someone also has to hand it back to me, so there are accountable people at both ends.

I actually do this occasionally with full size because most airlines had a one instrument carry on allowance. Of course the beauty of the GSM is that it actually fit in the overhead bin onboard. So, even if I had a GSM hard case I would do it this way too.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

I like the foam cases, but they are a bit bulky....let us know what you do.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

The SKB case is a good one...I use it. But most airlines in the U.S. will let you put the GS Mini in the overhead, as long as it's a full size jet.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2013 Taylor 528e
2013 Taylor 322
2012 Taylor GS Mini M
2008 Taylor 426ce-LTD
2006 Taylor T5-C Cocobolo
2003 Taylor PG-LTD
2003 Taylor 600-SPEC
2002 Taylor 510-LTD
1937 A-Style Mandolin
M&M Acoustic Guitar
Old 11-04-2013, 01:23 AM

I know you can put it up in the overhead, but in the chance that I have to gate check it, I'd rather it be in a hardshell case so I don't have to spend the whole flight wondering if someone stacked it under a slightly heavy piece of luggage.

It also sounds like if you put it in the overhead, it's going to take up the space for a few passengers, and with everyone carrying stuff on these days I'd rather not do that.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
The SKB case is a good one...I use it. But most airlines in the U.S. will let you put the GS Mini in the overhead, as long as it's a full size jet.
The SKB is a hard foam case, right? Would you feel comfortable checking it on a flight?
Old 11-04-2013, 06:34 AM

Default My expereince

I just traveled with an Art and Lutherie AMI in a TRIC case with no problems. I really think the key is to check it at the boarding gait rather than at initial check in/ticketing. Less handling by gorilla baggage handlers.

John
Old 11-05-2013, 10:50 AM

I almost wish I had gotten a Little Martin or a Baby Taylor instead of the GS Mini since then I'd have a hardshell case for it! http://www.amazon.com/SKB-Taylor-Mar.../dp/B0002F79CU
Old 11-05-2013, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondstring View Post
I almost wish I had gotten a Little Martin or a Baby Taylor instead of the GS Mini since then I'd have a hardshell case for it! http://www.amazon.com/SKB-Taylor-Mar.../dp/B0002F79CU
Pretty sure SKB makes one for the mini too...

EDIT: oops. Wasn't SKB. Must be someone else I was thinking of.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion