The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-10-2013, 09:00 AM

All,

Thank you for the replies.

As of the email I recieved this morning -- and despite that which many of you felt was a sterling reputation of Godin -- the customer service representative stated (in his email to me) that the "current version of the ACS-SA has a richlite fingerboard." This is in direct contradiction to the information posted on the Godin website.

Frankly, I am deeply disappointed in Godin for not being truthful and up-front about this fact. This would have been my third Godin guitar, and I have always thought very highly of the company previously. My opinion changed as of this morning. The use of synthetic materials may not matter to some, but it matters to me. Much worse, however, is both the Godin website, as well as the authorized dealer I purchased the instrument from, both indicated that "Ebony" was the fingerboard material -- this was false information.

Darn..........
Old 10-10-2013, 09:30 AM

Cool How do I determine the fretboard material?

All kidding aside, African ebony has pores and Richlite is perfectly smooth. When you place your order, just specify you want the ebony fingerboard.

Personally, I prefer the Richlite boards because they hold up better and are much easier to maintain, no oiling necessary.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 10-10-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishrogue View Post
When you place your order, just specify you want the ebony fingerboard.
I don't know if specifying the material is an option on this guitar....?
Old 10-10-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
Much worse, however, is both the Godin website, as well as the authorized dealer I purchased the instrument from, both indicated that "Ebony" was the fingerboard material -- this was false information.

Darn..........
AS for the dealers site they are responsible for their own info and typically that doesn't reflect on the manufacturer but in this case it sounds like they couldn't even keep their own site up to date and that is a huge error.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:48 AM

Paultergeist - I don't blame you for being upset. Even though it was probably unintentional that you were given false information it was false nonetheless.

I have noticed many manufacturers have poorly maintained websites to the point that they don't even list many of their products, let alone having them 100% accurate. The richlite probably wouldn't bother me as I have played several of the Martin performing series with them and it felt fine. If it bothers you, they should take it back at their expense - perhaps eating shipping costs would be enough for them to bother with accuracy in product description in the future.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 10-10-2013, 09:48 AM

Default How do I determine what a fingerboard material?

I'd ask Godin when they switched to Richlite, give them the serial number and find out if your guitar was built before or after that date. Good luck.
Original Martin Backpacker
Little Martin
Lotus Dread (1st guitar)
Old 10-10-2013, 09:50 AM

Assuming they would not simply false advertise It sounds like they went a bit heavy on fretboard oil or used something which creates a protective seal like furniture polish does.

A bit of 000 superfine steel wool should take it off and won't hurt you guitar. That's what I would try.
2012 - Gibson Les Paul studio

Last edited by Rickytuk; 10-10-2013 at 09:57 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 10-10-2013, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Well, your skeptical first impressions were spot on - you suspected something synthetic and non-ebony. Good awareness and inquiry.

I, like everyone that posted here, took it at (unseen) face value that Godin would never do anything shady. They are a really reputable company.

With that in mind, I would give them the benefit of the doubt and ascribe it to incompetence over malice. Stupid mistake over deceitful tactics.

They aren't the only one:

I bought a Les Paul Junior Deluxe and it has the torrefied maple fingerboard instead of the rosewood I was expecting. Fortunately, I actually loved the fingerboard more but I was put off by the surprise.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 10-10-2013, 11:00 AM

To any interested, here is the complete email stream between myself and the customer service representative at Godin. I deleted names and email addresses only to avoid and issues with public identification, etc. This email exchange is listed in reverse chronology, with the most recent communication at the top:

Hi Paul,

Our website will be updated. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,

xxxxxx xxxxxxxx
Support Clients / Customer Support
Guitares Godin / Godin Guitars

http://www.godinguitars.com

Check out the Godin Boutique
http://www.godinguitars.com/godinswag.htm
Sent: October 10, 2013 10:50 AM
To: xxxxxxx xxxxxxxx
Cc: xxx xxxxxx xxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Fretboard material ACS SA USB -- possible counterfeit guitar?

Hi xxxxxx,

Thank you for your kind and timely reply.

To be honest, I am rather disappointed by this revelation. While I realize that "Richlite" makes for that which many consider to be an acceptable fingerboard material, I truly prefer the look/feel of real wood. I based my purchase decision partly upon the information that is currently presented on the Godin website. This is the third Godin guitar which I have purchased, and although I have been delighted with the other two instruments purchased previously, I fear this guitar may get returned.

I will contemplate this issue a bit more before I make a final decision.
Honestly, I am somewhat surprised that the Godin website -- listing all specifications of the guitars -- states "Ebony" for this fingerboard when it is of a synthetic material. Perhaps this issue should be addressed within you organizational structure.

Thank you again for your reply.

With regrets,

Paul Shanahan

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2013 7:32 AM
To: Shanahan, Paul A CIV
Subject: RE: Fretboard material ACS SA USB -- possible counterfeit guitar?

Hi Paul,

The current version of the ACS-SA has a richlite fingerboard. Richlite is indeed a synthetic material. It has sonic properties that are similar to ebony.

Regards,

xxxxxx xxxxxxxx
Support Clients / Customer Support
Guitares Godin / Godin Guitars

http://www.godinguitars.com

Check out the Godin Boutique
http://www.godinguitars.com/godinswag.htm
Sent: October 8, 2013 9:27 AM
To: xxxxxx xxxxxxxx
Subject: Fretboard material ACS SA USB -- possible counterfeit guitar?

Greetings,

I have recently purchased a Godin nylon-string solid-body guitar. I believe the guitar is correctly referred to as being a "ACS-SA Lightburst Flame Nylon USB." According to the information I am finding on your web-site <http://www.godinguitars.com/godinacsbstusbp.htm>, the fingerboard (i.e.
fretboard) of this guitar is composed of Ebony. Upon close examination, I am questioning whether this is correct, as it appears that the fingerboard is not wood at all, but rather some type of plastic(?)

I realize some manufacturers are using synthetic materials for the fingerboard, but I did not believe that Godin did so with their guitars. As I purchased this guitar (new) from an internet vendor, I am now concerned that possibly I have received a counterfeit (fake) Godin guitar due to this fingerboard material. Could this be possible?

Please advise. Thank you for any assistance you may be able to provide.

Paul A. Shanahan
Old 10-10-2013, 11:55 AM

Cool How do I determine the fretboard material?

I think you acted very professionally, and stuck to the facts. The person you spoke with knows you are disappointed and thinking about returning the guitar.

You might wish to talk with them about paying the freight cost for the return, because they can't expect you to pay that cost since you were not the person responsible for the error. If they balk, you could ask what they are willing to do about it. Don't make any demands. Before going any farther, check to find out how much it would cost for you to have a qualified luthier remove & install a new ebony board...parts & labor.

If you know the exact cost to make you whole, they might offer that amount as a discount to keep you (a loyal Godin customer) happy.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 10-10-2013, 12:13 PM

Good call Paultergeist. I always check the manufacturer's website. While a retailer might get something wrong, I expect a manufacturer's website to be up-to-date and correct. To some it may be a small thing, but correct information is very important. If a company can't keep their website updated then I have to wonder what else might be slipping. I know that's kind of a big leap to make, but small things matter. Glad you got a correct answer. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:25 PM

It's funny...in order for them to switch to richlite, I'm sure they had many meetings and had to find suppliers and create a prototype or 2 and then make a final decision...and not once did anybody think to update their own website with this new spec?
Ibanez AS73 w/ Lollar P90s
Old 10-10-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishrogue View Post
I think you acted very professionally, and stuck to the facts. The person you spoke with knows you are disappointed and thinking about returning the guitar.

You might wish to talk with them about paying the freight cost for the return, because they can't expect you to pay that cost since you were not the person responsible for the error. If they balk, you could ask what they are willing to do about it. Don't make any demands. Before going any farther, check to find out how much it would cost for you to have a qualified luthier remove & install a new ebony board...parts & labor.

If you know the exact cost to make you whole, they might offer that amount as a discount to keep you (a loyal Godin customer) happy.

Glen
Good thoughts, Glen.....thank you for sharing them.

To their credit, the vendor (from whom I purchased the guitar) has apologized to me over the telephone. They admitted that they simply regurgitated the specifications on the Godin web-site; I do not balme them (the vendor). The vendor has offered to send me a pre-paid return shipping label; I think returning the guitar and closing the book on this chapter is the most likely course of action.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.crabbe View Post
...While a retailer might get something wrong, I expect a manufacturer's website to be up-to-date and correct. To some it may be a small thing, but correct information is very important....
I agree 100%. If I had known of the material used, frankly, I don't think I would have ordered the guitar, but the false information on the web-site feels less-than-completely-honest. Materials matter to me, as does the *vibe* I get from the instrument....too bad this is casting such a shadow over this.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:12 PM

Default How do I determine what a fingerboard material?

Given that Godin has always been a reputable company with a long history I would seriously doubt that this was an intentional attempts by the company to deceive its customers. More likely an employee dropped the ball and never changed the specs on the website. Had the company actually been attempting to deceive the public I seriously doubt that the representative who responded to your email would have been so forthcoming with the fact that the new models have Richlite fretboards. Having said that I would likely return the guitar, preferring wood too especially since the vendor appears to be willing to cover the cost of the return shipping.
Original Martin Backpacker
Little Martin
Lotus Dread (1st guitar)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion