The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-01-2013, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Default Mark Hatcher Crossover - one year review!

Well, it’s hard to believe but I’ve been the proud owner of my Mark Hatcher crossover for a year now. I was planning on recording some nice sound clips but we just moved across country from Nashville, TN to Denver, CO so it’ll be a little bit before I get things set up here to do some recording. But clips are coming! I know Mark just had a big move too – from NJ to NH.

You can see the original build thread here – http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...hlight=Hatcher

Some specs in case you don’t want to look at the build thread:
Swiss Spruce Top
Koa back and sides, headstock face plate and rossette
5 piece neck
Cocobolo binding and bridge
Ebony fretboard
Ivory nut and saddle

This guitar has really brought me a lot of joy. It’s a blast to play. Although it sounded great from the get-go - the sound has really changed since I’ve had it, in a good way. It’s gotten bigger and fuller sounding. Perhaps, it’s a combination of Marks bracing, the top wood, and the French polish top? Personally, I’m believer that guitars get better the more they’re played/age. The French polish and neck are staring to show some wear but I’ve heard that’s easy to fix and polish back up. I keep it in standard tuning and enjoy it for fingerstyle, classical and chet style pieces. The tuners work great and I love the headstock design Mark did on the crossover.

The guitar has plenty of volume and projects great. It’s really just a lovely guitar in all respects. Mark put my two children’s initials on the back of the headstock and I really love that subtle detail. The listener doesn’t see it; it’s just there for me.

I would highly encourage folks to talk to Mark. He’s a good guy and an extremely talented luthier. Plus, you’ll have photography of such high quality of the build you fill your home with build shots or have a nice coffee table book of your custom build.

I promise new sound clips once we get settled in our new home.

Here are some photos Mark took, he does such a great job with photographing them.

Kindly,
Danny

P.S. Some folks may appreciate that this guitar smells amazing…
Old 08-01-2013, 07:31 PM

Danny, I'm glad this has worked out so well for you! I loved following Mark's/your build thread for this guitar, and I love looking again at the pictures you have posted. I'm really looking forward to hearing some tunes from her. Thanks for keeping us updated!
Old 08-02-2013, 05:30 AM

Do you feel like the major difference from a traditional classical is in the feel of the guitar, especially the neck, or is it tonally different?

Stunningly gorgeous guitar, by the way.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 08-02-2013, 08:06 AM

Congratulations - it certainly looks like a keeper.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:02 AM

Default Danny

If it ever needs a new home, I just might be able to make a little more space in our tight home now.ship
hope all is well with you my friend and that your new digs and school are a joy for you
Old 08-02-2013, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

Bill, I'll absolutly keep you posted on tunes written on her. They're coming

Jon, That's a good question. The neck/feel is very different. Mark was kind enough to model the neck profile after my Doerr. Tonally, it's different than traditional classicals but still very similar. It's hard to put into words. Currently, my only other nylon string is my Ramirez. The Ramirez has perhaps a lusher, hollowy type sound, while the Hatcher has more punch clarity and focus. Sorry, I'm terrible with putting tone into words. Does that discription make sense?

Ship, I apprecaite it. I'm excited about the new school here in Denver. I have high hopes!

Kindly,
Danny
Old 08-02-2013, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

That's one of the most beautiful nylons I've seen in a long time. I moved from TN (home) to CO about two years ago. Welcome! Hope to see you around!
Old 08-03-2013, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, Brian! If you want to come over and play some guitar sometime, it'd be a lot of fun.

Kindly,
Danny
Old 08-05-2013, 09:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Thanks

Hey Danny,

Thanks for putting this up. I'm glad this guitar is working out well for you.
This model is turning out to be a popular model for me. Crossovers are so easy to play and with so many players playing so much longer in their lives, this is a guitar that can be played for an entire lifetime.

Thanks Again,
Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 08-05-2013, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

I really enjoyed watching the build on this guitar and think it came out looking pretty spectacular. The koa is striking to say the least. Glad to hear you are enjoying it.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Hi Danny,

What a stunningly beautiful guitar you have there! Beautiful photos, too. I hope your new job works out well for you. You have certainly moved to a beautiful part of the country! And I guess the AGF gatherings out there in Colorado are totally magic. So that will be very nice for you, as well.

- Glenn
Old 08-05-2013, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

My pleasure, Mark! I am loving the guitar and I can see why it's a popular model for you - you really nailed it all regards.

Thanks, Juston. The Koa looks even better in person. It's a spectacular piece of wood.

Thanks, Glenn! I'm excited about starting to teach at a new school. I have very high hopes and feel very blessed to keep doing what I love. I think CO is going to be very good for me and my family. I've already heard about one local picking party. I'm excited.

Kindly,
Danny

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop