The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-18-2013, 02:10 PM

Default Why does my EBG strings always sound out of tune together?

Well, any advice ? I've tried tuning with a Korg tuner, I've tried tuning with the old 5th fret -> next string way, and I've tried the lightly touch 5th fret and then 7th fret on the next string (don't know what these are called in english).

I easily tune the first 3 high strings but when I play D chords, Dm chords and Am chords the guitar really sounds out of tune, like most open chords on it. Is this because of the Rosewood Dread style with it's overtones? I've never had one before, my old guitar was a all laminate spruce.

Any tip for those 3 high strings?
Suzuki S-56 Chromatic Harmonica
Suzuki Manji Diatonic Harmonica
Old 06-18-2013, 02:21 PM

Try tuning the b string slighly sharp.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcer View Post
Well, any advice ? I've tried tuning with a Korg tuner, I've tried tuning with the old 5th fret -> next string way, and I've tried the lightly touch 5th fret and then 7th fret on the next string (don't know what these are called in english).

I easily tune the first 3 high strings but when I play D chords, Dm chords and Am chords the guitar really sounds out of tune, like most open chords on it. Is this because of the Rosewood Dread style with it's overtones? I've never had one before, my old guitar was a all laminate spruce.

Any tip for those 3 high strings?
Hi Xcer...
If the guitar has not had the saddle appropriately intonated (shaped to play better in tune) or if the nut slots are not properly cut, or if the action is too high (or a combination of these factors) then it will not play in tune - even when tuned with a tuner.

It will not play in tune if it's tuned by harmonics either.

If the strings are too old or worn to play in tune, it won't sound in tune.

Having intonation adjusted properly is sometimes an adventure.

°

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-18-2013, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Well in the D chord for example the F# sounds a little sharp. In equal temperament major thirds are tuned a bit sharp. In the D chord on the top four strings you have sounding in relation to the F# an octave plus major third (4th string) and a major third (second string). That plus the fretting of the F# makes it even sharper in relation to the open D on the fourth string.
Make sure the string height at the nut is good.

I usually try to get the C, A, and E sounding right first and then tackle the problem chords. You might try making the two chords shown below sound in tune:

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-18-2013, 02:56 PM

I think it has to do with grammar, but I may be wrong...

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:09 PM

I have a problem with my electrics, my Gibson LP studio more than the Fender Strat, with the G string sounding slightly out of tune when changing between D and A chords. The G string has to be pressed with just the right amount of pressure or it sounds either sharp or flat. Usually sharp because I am accustomed to pressing firmly with my acoustic. I don't have this problem with any of my acoustics and it makes the electric, especially the Gibson, a chore to play.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:50 PM

ljguitar and rick-slo covered all the relevant points...

In my case, I encounter this problem at times, and can always solve it by retuning for good-sounding D and E major first-position chords, the D first, without ruining the E.

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

2006 Art & Lutherie Ami Parlor: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Black Satin Lacquer
2006 Art & Lutherie Dreadnought: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Natural Satin Lacquer

You can't change the tide with an oar. ---Nick Bracco (Gary Ponzo)
Old 06-18-2013, 09:44 PM

Instead of the 4th/5th fret harmonics, try this:

Tune the High E to pitch.
Fret the B on 5th fret and tune to open E reference.
Check B 12th Harmonic with E at 7th fret and adjust B.
Fret G on 4th fret and tune to open B reference.
Check G 12th harmonic with E at 3rd fret.
Fret D on 5th fret and tune to open G reference
Check D 12th harmonic with B at 3rd fret.
Fret A on 5th and tune to open D.
Check A 12th Harmonic with G at 2nd fret.
Fret E at 5th and tune to open A.
Check E 12th harmonic with D at second fret.

If all goes well, now (plucking at same time) compare:

Open high E with D on 2nd fret.
Open B with A on 2nd fret.
Open D with Low E on 3rd fret.

If all this goes well, the strings are in tune to relative to each other and strummed chords sound right.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:52 PM

Make sure you aren't grabbing those chords w/ a "death grip". Try a lighter touch and see if it solves it.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:54 AM

If the intonation and setup is good I have tuned the b slightly flat to get a good sounding D. On my D-28 it depends on what type of strings I use whether I have to do this. With 80/20s I almost always do.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:21 AM

What seems to work for me is to tune the b and e strings just ever so slightly lower for most guitars. I don't have this issue with my HD28.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:50 AM

This is the nature of the beast. No guitars intonates perfectly. This is why people have developed elaborate tempered tuning methods, so that the guitar sounds relatively in tune across the fretboard, but never so far out of tune in one place that it sounds horrible. For instance, tune your guitar's open G to sound perfect, your D will sound off. Just the way it is.

People have even gone as far as tempering the frets to try and remedy this

Sanden Jrb -c tt style 2 by Adge1955, on Flickr
Old 06-19-2013, 06:12 AM

I would check that the nut is cut properly. Very often, a nut with one or two slots cut too shallow will result in a very sharp note on the second fret. I have found this most commonly on the 2nd fret of the B string. Not sure why that is the case. A good tech should sort it with a few strokes of a file.
Cheers.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:55 AM

so basically what everyone is saying is that the reason they sound out of tune is because they are out of tune. Unfortunately, that is the nature of equal temperament tuning.

And you're probably correct that the reason you're hearing it more now has to do with the complexity of the overtones of a better guitar.

That is not a bad thing, it just requires a little adjustment as others have said. Plus a good set-up minimizes the problem but it will always be there in every single guitar (except maybe that one with the squiggly frets). Unless you play an instrument designed to play in only one key, it will always involve some compromises in tuning.
that's me on guitar
Old 06-19-2013, 10:41 AM

I watched a James Taylor video once upon a time in which he explained HIS version of how an acoustic guitar should be tuned.......and I took some quick notes while I watched it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2xnXArjPts

According to him, ALL of the strings sound a little sharp. He recommended tuning all of them down in the following manner.

E -12 cents
A -10 cents
D -8 cents
G -4 cents
B -6 cents
e -3 cents

It helps, of course, if you have a tuner that can measure cents in such small increments, but I tried his procedure on one of my guitars and thought it sounded great. It's a little cumbersome to keep the strings tuned in this manner, but it seems to work.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion