The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-05-2013, 10:48 PM

Default Travel/Smaller Guitar: Pros & Cons

It seems there are a lot of new threads seeking information on the different smaller (3/4, parlor, etc.) or travel (voyage air, GO, etc.) guitars on the market. As we all know, a perfect guitar for one person may not be so perfect for the next. Let's see if we can have one thread that compiles all the opinions of these types of guitars into a "one stop shop" for those seeking information.

Maybe just one simple rule for posting in this thread?
For each opinion, include the following information:

BRAND & MODEL:

PROS:
-

CONS:
-

I hope this thread helps someone, somewhere, sometime!

Joe
Old 03-05-2013, 10:49 PM

I'll go first.

BRAND & MODEL: Taylor GS Mini

PROS:
- Big, full, loud tone
- Comfortable action
- 3/4 size body
- Comes with Taylor Hard Bag (not the regular Gig Bag)
- Available in hog top

CONS:
- 1-11/16" nut width
- Small scale neck (23-1/2")
- Unique endpin that requires customization for pickups not readily built

Joe
Old 03-06-2013, 07:09 AM

BRAND & MODEL: Go, Grande Mahogany

PROS:
All solid wood.
Great tone for such a small guitar.
Customization options (when ordered new); nut width, spacing at bridge, neck profile, special woods
Excellent gig bag
Inexpensive
Excellent for hiking and camping.
-

CONS:
Difficult to hold without strap
Poor quality tuners (out of the bag)
-

Ed

Last edited by Ed422; 03-06-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:19 AM

BRAND & MODEL: Voyage Air, VAMD-04BK

PROS:
Solid top
Great tone. Sounds better than its price.
Feels like a regular guitar.
Excellent gig bag, back pack style.
Inexpensive
Slightly short scale (24.75")
Great for travel where vehicles are involved.
-

CONS:
Nut width only available in 1 11/16 in this model.
Finger spacing at bridge. It is as though they took a dread design, put it in a CAD program and shrunk everything. Of course, it is billed as a 15/16 (or 7/8?) size dreadnaught so I should have anticipated it.
-

Ed

Last edited by Ed422; 03-06-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:48 AM

I would echo all of Ed's sentiments on my Voyage Air VAOM-04, except mine is full size OM with 1 3/4" nut spacing.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:14 PM

Comments on our family guitar.

BRAND & MODEL: Little Martin (the basic laminate and composite neck model)

PROS:
-size
-quality
-price
-best sounding kitchen counter laminate I've ever heard
-gig bag carries a book, iPad, accessories and can work riding a bike

CONS:
-none considering the price and purpose of the instrument

We do not submit our Little Martin to abuse but it has stood up to parties at the beach, birthday cake, sun block, and temperature extremes you would not give to a quality wood guitar.

My daughter and I are considering a CA Cargo but question spending 4x more after taking the Little Martin on a recent ski trip.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:38 PM

I think it's difficult to find all of your travel/beater/small guitar needs filled by one guitar. As your post implies, every guitar has its own pros and cons.

So instead of targeting just one guitar for these purposes, how about a combination of 2 or even 3 guitars? Like stock investing, buy a portfolio instead of a single stock.

Here's an example...

I personally own a VAOM-06, Taylor GS Mini Mahogany and Yamaha JR1. They take care 100% of all of travel/beater/small guitar needs.

My VAOM-06 is the go-to guitar for air trips and cruises. Since it's also an excellent OM guitar in its own rights, the VAOM-06 (equipped with LR Baggs Anthem) is also my main gigging guitar, while at home it serves as back-up to my main player (an a-mayes-ing Mayes).

The Taylor GS Mini lives in my car. I use it mainly for impromptu practice during breaks. It's also my go-to guitar when we go to the parks, camping, roadtrips, etc. It also satisfies my occasional craving for small guitar / short scale.

The Yamaha JR1 lives in the closet and is not used regularly. Instead, it's my beater whenever the needs arise. It's also the guitar that I let my young kids (toddlers) use when they want to jam with me. So basically this guitar sits 99% of the time, but gets beat pretty good during the other 1%. I really don't mind because it's very inexpensive. Because it's built like a tank, it's also held up pretty well with surprisingly only a few dings.

All these 3 guitars can be had for much less $ than a carbon fiber guitar.

Taylor GS Mini mahogany/sapele with LR Baggs M80
Voyage Air VAOM-06 sitka/sapele with LR Baggs Anthem
Yamaha Guitalele black
Taylor T3/B honey burst
Fender American Stratocaster tobacco burst
G&L Fullerton Deluxe Legacy blonde

Gone but not forgotten..... ReviveMusicStore.com

Last edited by revive; 03-06-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revive View Post
...how about a combination of 2 or even 3 guitars?
Great point revive, you have a guitar for every specific need. This is exactly the intention of this thread, to provide the pros and cons of each model into a "one stop shop" so that people can read and make their purchase based on their specific need. Thanks for your input, it's great to know that your VAOM-06 is good enough to gig with, I have GAS for one of those which I hope to get in the next 6 months!

Joe
Old 03-06-2013, 05:18 PM

For me, a travel guitar is not so much a guitar as it is a replacement for no guitar.

I'm in the market for something to put in the trunk with luggage while on roadtrips and haven't settled on anything yet, but I certainly understand the tradeoffs I'll have to make.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeguam View Post
Great point revive, you have a guitar for every specific need. This is exactly the intention of this thread, to provide the pros and cons of each model into a "one stop shop" so that people can read and make their purchase based on their specific need. Thanks for your input, it's great to know that your VAOM-06 is good enough to gig with, I have GAS for one of those which I hope to get in the next 6 months!

Joe
I guess I will go back and edit my descriptions. In short, the VA is better for traveling in a vehicle and the GO is better for things like camping.

Ed

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
3/4 guitar, airline, small guitar, travel guitar