The Acoustic Guitar Forum  

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-19-2013, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

Default GS Mini - Hard Shell case or SKB foam case

I would like to ditch the original bag. Can i get some feedback from you which one of these alternatives you prefer and why?

The hard shell case looks more compact while the other looks more bulky. Flip side though I am sure the hard case is obviously heavier than the foam case.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Hard-She...item2ec642e1e9

or

http://www.skbcases.com/music/produc...&c=136&o=&s=75
Benavides 00-12 Redwood/Sapele
Huss & Dalton 00-SP Eng/EIR.....arriving May 2014
Huss & Dalton T0014 Eng/Hog
Old 02-19-2013, 08:05 PM

it really depends on how you transport the mini. If more like a more expensive full sized where you want a case to protect very well and transport in vehicle then the hardshell. If you want to say hike or something the SKB will protect very well but be about the weight of the Taylor bag, Can use like a back pack.

Personally I like the hard shell case( which may very well be made by SKB) but if I was going to use it camping or hiking then the SKB soft case would be better.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:57 PM

Before I sold my Mini I went through the same debate. I was more leaning towards the SKB. I had a similar TKL plastic case with my Cole Clark, but it cracked when I bumped the case going down the stairs at a parking garage with concrete stairs. Seems to me that the SKB would be more durable, but I have to admit I like the aesthetic of the TKL better.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:15 PM

I don't have a Taylor but faced a similar choice. I bought a Tak Nex stage guitar and the genuine case was not available so I bought an SKB case almost identical to the one in your pic.

Some time later I started to look about for a slim, neat, light, better than a gig bag case. I bought an MBT Polyfoam and that's all I ever use now, the shoulder strap is great if you have other gear. A little trolley a few straps and guitar over the shoulder, in and out in one trip. The SKB hard case sits in the corner. If it was going in a truck I might use it. Oh, bought another MBT for the Tele as well and the Hiscox sits.

Kris
Old 02-20-2013, 04:45 AM

SKB would be my choice.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:20 AM

where are you going to taking the guitar.. the mini is pretty durable.. I'd have no issues with just using the gigbag for around the town gigs.. slap it over my shoulder
MIM Fender Muddy Waters
???? Yamaha G230ii
Old 02-20-2013, 08:26 AM

I'm curious as to why you want to replace the original bag? I have more trust in my mini's bag than in the hardcase that came with my martin. the mini is my travel guitar, I toss it around, throw it in the car, jam it into overhead compartments on planes, all with the mini in its bag. I just returned from a business trip where the case saved me from having to carry checked baggage: I stuffed my socks and underwear in the guitar, and padded the guitar with shirts and pants. it's amazing how much you can fit into that case. several times, I leaned the guitar against something, and it fell over, headstock first, onto the tile floor at the airport. I don't even bother to catch it when that happens, because the case protects the guitar perfectly. lastly I would not want a hard case because on small planes, I can only fit the mini if I squeeze the case into the overhead bin and slam it shut. in my experience, I have yet to see a guitar case that beats the one that comes with the mini.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion