The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-01-2012, 06:52 PM
kohaku kohaku is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6
Default Cooder by Takamine, ever heard of ?

said to be made for japanese market only, any connection with ry cooder ?
i knew that takamine's first acoustic-electric model was developed with the help of Ry Cooder.






  • Top
  • Sycamore
  • Side & Back
  • Sycamore
  • Neck
  • Mahogany
  • Finger Board
  • Rosewood
  • Bridge
  • Rosewood
  • Bracing
  • X-Bracing
  • Back Construction
  • 2p
  • Neck Width At Nut
  • 42mm
  • Scale Length
  • 644mm
  • Tuning Machine
  • Original/Chrome
  • Rosette
  • Abalone
  • Pick Up
  • EDGE-LT
  • Controls
  • Volume, Presence/Treble,/Bass, Tuner on-off Switch
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-01-2012, 07:21 PM
fmmusicman fmmusicman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 240
Default Ry & Takamine

I consider myself pretty much a Ry Cooder fan of the first degree, going back to 1971, and I am unaware of Ry having played a Takamine. I doubt that he would endorse them.
Not that I am all knowing, but I am just saying.

The intent here cannot be anything other than a Ry Cooder model but it seems unauthorized. It would surprise me if he agreed to a signature series. If he would, it would likely be with his first name included and with his actual signature.

Using someone's name or likeness on a brand is a trademark violation, so if Ry did not sanction this, we may well hear about it legally soon enough.

It sure looks like a nice guitar...
__________________
Martin 0015M
www.thecountryblues.com

"Never play a note you don't believe"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-01-2012, 08:15 PM
kohaku kohaku is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6
Default

Could it be like gibson & epiphone or fender & squire ?
It said by takamine, i doubt that a well known brand such as takamine would do that without permission


also i'm very interested about that sycamore wood they're using
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-01-2012, 08:28 PM
Sasquatch51 Sasquatch51 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 73
Default

This was Takamine's first acoustic-electric model. It was developed and promoted with Ry Cooder's help. It was released in 1979.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-01-2012, 09:04 PM
Brant0086 Brant0086 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,111
Default

Hmmm..... I wonder if that black one comes in a gloss finish ?


Bryant
__________________
1994 Martin D-16H
Silvertone SD-50CE
Greg Bennett D-8CE
1991 Takamine EF350MC
Fender T-Bucket 400CE
$19 Silvertone Bobby Labonte SNBLA
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-01-2012, 09:16 PM
robj144 robj144 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmmusicman View Post
I consider myself pretty much a Ry Cooder fan of the first degree, going back to 1971, and I am unaware of Ry having played a Takamine. I doubt that he would endorse them.
Not that I am all knowing, but I am just saying.

The intent here cannot be anything other than a Ry Cooder model but it seems unauthorized. It would surprise me if he agreed to a signature series. If he would, it would likely be with his first name included and with his actual signature.

Using someone's name or likeness on a brand is a trademark violation, so if Ry did not sanction this, we may well hear about it legally soon enough.

It sure looks like a nice guitar...
Why would they do that?
__________________
Guild CO-2
Guild JF30-12
Guild D55
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-01-2012, 09:29 PM
robj144 robj144 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,438
Default

It's explained here:

http://www.takamineguitars.jp/takami...rs_legend.html
__________________
Guild CO-2
Guild JF30-12
Guild D55
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-01-2012, 11:06 PM
Lacking Talent Lacking Talent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 84
Default

The story on acoustic guitar pickup pioneer Lloyd Baggs (written by Andy Powers of Taylor Guitars) in issue 24 of The Fretboard Journal solves the mystery of this guitar's history.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-02-2012, 04:02 AM
kohaku kohaku is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacking Talent View Post
The story on acoustic guitar pickup pioneer Lloyd Baggs (written by Andy Powers of Taylor Guitars) in issue 24 of The Fretboard Journal solves the mystery of this guitar's history.
Any link or something ?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Lacking Talent Lacking Talent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohaku View Post
Any link or something ?
Here's the website -- http://www.fretboardjournal.com/fretboard-journal-24 -- but, as far as I can see, that particular article only appears in the print edition of the magazine.

Long story short? In his early days as a luthier, Baggs built Cooder a custom guitar, and was quite surprised to discover from an enthused Cooder -- after the fact -- that the artist had allowed Takamine to copy the instrument down to the last detail; IIRC, the article's implication was that Baggs was not compensated or credited in any way.

Here's a comparison pic ganked from a Thai guitar webforum...


Last edited by Lacking Talent; 06-02-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-02-2012, 02:31 PM
Howard Emerson Howard Emerson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Huntington Station, New York
Posts: 5,478
Default

On Ry Cooder's Bop 'Til You Drop (the first digitally recorded rock record) he used the Takamine with a Palathetic pickup, if I recall correctly.

Find the album and the info should be on the sleeve.

HE
Hear my new one here: http://howardemerson.com/music2.html
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Mycroft Mycroft is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacking Talent View Post
Here's the website -- http://www.fretboardjournal.com/fretboard-journal-24 -- but, as far as I can see, that particular article only appears in the print edition of the magazine.

Long story short? In his early days as a luthier, Baggs built Cooder a custom guitar, and was quite surprised to discover from an enthused Cooder -- after the fact -- that the artist had allowed Takamine to copy the instrument down to the last detail; IIRC, the article's implication was that Baggs was not compensated or credited in any way.

Here's a comparison pic ganked from a Thai guitar webforum...

Similar, not identical. Sound hole, shape of the cutaway, shape of the bridge, shape of the tailpiece are all different.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-02-2012, 03:25 PM
Howard Emerson Howard Emerson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Huntington Station, New York
Posts: 5,478
Default

This is from the article on the Bagg's web site:

"In 1973, Lloyd began his guitar making endeavors by buying, modifying, refinishing, retuning and then returning old Gibsons and Washburns (these were in the days when you could still afford to buy them). After noodling around with some fine old instruments, the L.R. Baggs fine-handmade-guitar-and-guitar-repair business was launched. After Lloyd finished his first guitar in a Berkeley, California garage, he took it to his guitar idol, Ry Cooder, and received his first commission. Lloyd's list of fantastic guitar player customers for his L.R. Baggs Handmade Guitar included Jackson Browne, Janis Ian, Graham Nash and two instruments went to Ry Cooder. The guitar featured on Ry's "Jazz" album is an L.R. Baggs Handmade Guitar. It was during the recording of Ry Cooder's "Bop Till You Drop" album that the L.R. Baggs transducer pickup was inspired. There in the recording studio was an exact Takamine copy of the guitar Lloyd had built for Ry, with a transducer pickup system. After recovering from the shock of seeing an exact copy of his instrument (as an aside, the current Takamine headstock is the headstock that Lloyd designed for his handmade instruments), Lloyd became intrigued with the wonderful possibilities of the piezo ceramic transducer pickup for the acoustic guitar. "

It's still not clear who did what, when, but whatever.........Somebody find the cover and read what the liner notes say, please!

HE
Hear my new one here: http://howardemerson.com/music2.html
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Wade Hampton Wade Hampton is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chugiak, Alaska
Posts: 20,062
Default

Howard, just to add to that, what I've read and heard from some close friends of Lloyd Baggs was that Takamine started manufacturing guitars with that exact L.R. Baggs headstock shape. This occurred right after Martin's attorneys had sent them a "Cease And Desist" letter regarding the so-called "Lawsuit Takamine" Martin copies.

The settlement that Lloyd and Takamine came to is that they sent him a quantity of their proprietary integral bridge/saddle pickups - ten or twelve of them, not an enormous number.

Once Lloyd got his hands on those, he thought: "Hmmm...I could make something like this" and then proceeded to do so. That was the origin of the LR Baggs LB6 pickup, which is still in the Baggs product line to this day. The prototype mountain dulcimer pickup that I have in my main stage dulcimer is simply a scaled-down version of the LB6, and it's still going strong after more than 25 years of active use.

All that aside, the Cooder guitar shown in the photos in the first post in this thread is not the same model that Takamine built for Ry Cooder. So does anyone have any further information about Cooder Guitars as a separate Takamine product line?


Wade Hampton Miller
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-03-2012, 08:10 AM
kohaku kohaku is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post

All that aside, the Cooder guitar shown in the photos in the first post in this thread is not the same model that Takamine built for Ry Cooder. So does anyone have any further information about Cooder Guitars as a separate Takamine product line?


Wade Hampton Miller
Yup exactly what i was searching for, couldn't find anything on the web.
I'm interested in buying this guitar just for the name alone
its gonna be a nice conversation piece
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=