The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 05-03-2012, 06:08 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to tmanson
Default FS: 2009 Martin D-35S Custom with 1 7/8 Nut

I am selling my 2009 Martin D-35S Custom. While it has many of the standard details of the factory D-35S, it also has a 1 7/8 nut, Waverly Nickel tuners, a gloss neck, round slots, diamond headstock. It retailed for $4819.50 from Martin per the order, and was purchased from MFG in Naples at Jon's great discount.

I am asking $2400 (plus shipping and insurance - since I don't know where you are, no charge if local in Maryland) with a new case as it has lived in an Accord case for the last 3 years and the original case is long gone (if you want the Accord case with it, I will throw it in for an extra $1000 ). Pictures are below and I have others (and can take others if you are seriously interested) if you need them.

This guitar has been babied and not played all that much (maybe a few dozen hours over the last 3 years).

Please ask any questions that you can think of and thanks for looking.

Last edited by tmanson; 06-07-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

My first "real" guitar was a 1976 D35S. Yours brings back a lot of great memories. A couple of questions--I assume the top is sitka? Could you describe the neck profile? And, since it was custom, were there any upgrades--bone saddle, nut, etc. Also, is there a clear pickguard, or no pickguard? Last one--what is the scale?

You have a real beauty there.

D.T. De La Rosa African Blackwood/Carpathian
Kevin Kopp L-02 Mahogany/Adirondack
Froggy Bottom D 12 EIR/Adrirondack
Avalon L-32 12 string EIR/Sitka spruce
Taylor 555 1996 Mahogany/Sitka spruce
Rainsong Shorty LE

Life's been good to me so far....
Old 05-03-2012, 07:09 AM

Oh my. That is gorgeous. And SO tempting...esp. with the wider nut and...and...*gulp*

OK, have to go now. Really. If I weren't making myself segue into smaller guitar bodies, I would pursue this one fast and hard. I have to think it won't be available long.

(Have any sound clips, just so I can beat myself up more?)

Best of luck with your sale.

Dirk
Old 05-03-2012, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

that....is cool.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transylvania View Post
My first "real" guitar was a 1976 D35S. Yours brings back a lot of great memories. A couple of questions--I assume the top is sitka? Could you describe the neck profile? And, since it was custom, were there any upgrades--bone saddle, nut, etc. Also, is there a clear pickguard, or no pickguard? Last one--what is the scale?

You have a real beauty there.
Transylvania, Thanks, I wish I could afford to keep her (from both a space and finance perspective). As I recall the specs, the neck is a "low profile." I don't have the order/build sheet in front of me and haven't memorized all the details. I'm pretty sure the scale is the standard one (long) for the D-35S and specifically that would be 25.4 (short is 24.9 right?). The black pickguard that it came with (standard) was removed before a shadow could form. Yes, the top is sitka spruce. And I do recall that all the "white parts" (nut and saddle) are bone, but won't swear to that without going back and looking at the build sheet.

Oh and I almost forgot, one of the custom upgrades that I had done was a gloss neck.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkronk View Post
Oh my. That is gorgeous. And SO tempting...esp. with the wider nut and...and...*gulp*

(Have any sound clips, just so I can beat myself up more?)

Best of luck with your sale.

Dirk
Thanks Dirk, and no I don't have any sound clips of this one, but thanks for the idea.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:21 PM

That is a beautiful guitar. Having acquired my 000 17s from Tom a fews yeRs back and having played with him at Agf gatherings and at his house, I can vouch for him, his guitars, and the care and feeding they receive. Someone is going to be very, very happy with this guitar and their interaction with Tom. I am going to miss the opportunities to play what he is selling off.

Jeff
Martin 0018vs
Martin LX (on loan)
Martin 00017s (sold)
Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold)
Larrivee Parlor (traded)
Old 05-04-2012, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

What kind of case is included with this lovely instrument?

D.T. De La Rosa African Blackwood/Carpathian
Kevin Kopp L-02 Mahogany/Adirondack
Froggy Bottom D 12 EIR/Adrirondack
Avalon L-32 12 string EIR/Sitka spruce
Taylor 555 1996 Mahogany/Sitka spruce
Rainsong Shorty LE

Life's been good to me so far....
Old 05-05-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transylvania View Post
What kind of case is included with this lovely instrument?
The standard Martin 5-ply Geib 540 with Cabernet interior (brand new - since I didn't think it would sell with the Accord). Or, as I thought I mentioned in the ad, if you want the Accord case it has lived in for a few years, I'll through that in for an even $1K more.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:08 PM

Bumping for exposure...

Last edited by tmanson; 06-05-2012 at 04:15 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:33 PM
The Plucky Comic Relief

Send a message via AIM to Egoss Send a message via Yahoo to Egoss

This beautiful Martin deserves to be on page one. Somebody hurry up & buy it or I might have to!

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
- Robert McCloskey
Old 06-05-2012, 04:20 AM

Nuther Bump...
Old 06-05-2012, 12:08 PM

Thumbs up

Tom

very nice guitar, the first of these i've seen. if i had not just taken delivery of a new open back OME i might very well be the new owner of this.

what is the saddle string spacing on this unique instrument?
(i might need to take a loan out)

thanks
d

and if my friend in NC ends up with this, i most definitely need to do a drive and play this.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:02 AM

D,
The string spacing at the nut is 1 7/8 and at the saddle is 2 3/8 - nice and wide. It works very well for me (with big wide hands). It's not your typical beginner guitar (not that you're a beginner by any means) regardless how much moola you might have. I've strung it fairly lightly to keep the hand stress down, but string it heavy and it is a monster of a projector.

I'm not an instrument designer by a long shot, but it is my understanding that the three-piece back provides more projection because it is slightly stiffer than a typical two-piece back. Granted, the design was not created for this by Martin (my understanding is that the 3-piece back made more backs available from a limited supply of rosewood back in the day), but it does not surprise me that Matthews and Reynolds used these (D-35s) in the Live at Radio City a few years ago.

Thanks for asking,
Old 06-06-2012, 07:54 AM

I'm interested, but in this price range I strongly prefer to play an instrument first. There are too many "taste" factors involved.

Too bad I'm out in California.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars