The Acoustic Guitar Forum  

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-27-2012, 01:15 PM
steveyam steveyam is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,266
Default List of Yamaha FG models.......................

A few months ago I seem to recall someone wanting to create some kind of list or dossier on Yamaha FG series acoustics. I pointed out at the time that it was a bit more than the 75, 140, 150, 180, 200 etc, comprising many, many models. Anyway, I just stumbled on a (complete?) list of FG models on Wikepedia. It's actually a list of all Yamaha instruments (not just guitars) made over a period of many years - I noticed some from the 1940s. The FGs are about 40% of the way down the page. Interestingly it identifies the colour of the label; red, orange etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Yamaha_products
__________________
Experienced guitar tech and singer/guitarist based in the midlands, England.
McIlroy AJ50
Yamaha CPX-1200
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-360
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-150

Bose L1M2T1
Sennheiser 945 & 845 mics

+ electric guitars..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-27-2012, 01:22 PM
ebick ebick is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kissimmee, FL
Posts: 500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyam View Post
A few months ago I seem to recall someone wanting to create some kind of list or dossier on Yamaha FG series acoustics. I pointed out at the time that it was a bit more than the 75, 140, 150, 180, 200 etc, comprising many, many models. Anyway, I just stumbled on a (complete?) list of FG models on Wikepedia. It's actually a list of all Yamaha instruments (not just guitars) made over a period of many years - I noticed some from the 1940s. The FGs are about 40% of the way down the page. Interestingly it identifies the colour of the label; red, orange etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Yamaha_products
I have an FG-420-12A....it doesn't list that, just FG-420.
__________________
Our prime purpose in this life it to help others and if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. -Dalai Lama
Http://www.rukind.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-27-2012, 01:25 PM
steveyam steveyam is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebick View Post
I have an FG-420-12A....it doesn't list that, just FG-420.
Better tell Wikipedia then!
__________________
Experienced guitar tech and singer/guitarist based in the midlands, England.
McIlroy AJ50
Yamaha CPX-1200
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-360
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-150

Bose L1M2T1
Sennheiser 945 & 845 mics

+ electric guitars..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-27-2012, 03:42 PM
Kitchen Guitars's Avatar
Kitchen Guitars Kitchen Guitars is offline
AGF Sponsor formerly Yamaha Junkie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South West Pennsylvania
Posts: 7,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebick View Post
I have an FG-420-12A....it doesn't list that, just FG-420.
I was playing mine a lot this past week. Great guitar!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-27-2012, 05:08 PM
naolslager naolslager is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,361
Default

Steveyam,
Thanks for the Yamaha "decoder" tip.
dj
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-27-2012, 06:41 PM
Weird Snake Joe Weird Snake Joe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: philly burbs!
Posts: 381
Default

It's missing quite a few F-series models.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-27-2012, 06:57 PM
Zigeuner Zigeuner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 788
Default

I recall the FG110 and FG150, but not an FG 140.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-27-2012, 07:08 PM
ebick ebick is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kissimmee, FL
Posts: 500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyam View Post
Better tell Wikipedia then!
They have been told
__________________
Our prime purpose in this life it to help others and if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. -Dalai Lama
Http://www.rukind.com
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-27-2012, 09:26 PM
p^h p^h is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 227
Default

I don't see any SJ's, either. I have the SJ-180 - not sure what other model SJ's were made, but I think there were a couple more...? Interesting list, TFS.
__________________
1993 Seagull S6 Cedar
1981 Yamaha SJ-180
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-27-2012, 10:35 PM
Gham Gham is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 91
Default

Nice looking FG 110 in there,must be what mine used to look like.It's beat to **** now and the action is high as heck.Needs at least 5 new frets and a neck reset but still rings like crazy when I hit the occasional right note!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-28-2012, 02:12 AM
steveyam steveyam is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigeuner View Post
I recall the FG110 and FG150, but not an FG 140.
I have a 140. Probably an underrated model in the series; nothing much to look at, but a big booming tone - at least mine has anyway. Overshadowed by the 160, 180 and 200 that are similar.

BTW you can check out specs here:

http://www.yamaha.com/apps/guitararc...hive2.asp?t=ac

(Input model names with no gaps - like this: FG140)
__________________
Experienced guitar tech and singer/guitarist based in the midlands, England.
McIlroy AJ50
Yamaha CPX-1200
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-360
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-150

Bose L1M2T1
Sennheiser 945 & 845 mics

+ electric guitars..
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-28-2012, 02:21 AM
steveyam steveyam is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gham View Post
Nice looking FG 110 in there,must be what mine used to look like.It's beat to **** now and the action is high as heck.Needs at least 5 new frets and a neck reset but still rings like crazy when I hit the occasional right note!
You may even be able to improve the action by...

1) skimming the saddle
2) skimming the top of the bridge (to accomodate an even lower saddle)
3) lowering the nut slots to optimum
4) checking and setting the neck relief to be flat or with just a tad of relief
5) Using light gauge strings (12 gauge if previously heavier) will not lift and 'tilt' the bridge so much
6) fitting a JLD bridge doctor (may not be needed if 1 - 5 works)

That may sound a lot, in truth it is nowhere as much as taking the neck off, and it sorted out my 140 that is now very playable. Check your guitar out - what is the action now? You can gain (lose!) about 3 - 4mm with those things above - and that's often enough.
__________________
Experienced guitar tech and singer/guitarist based in the midlands, England.
McIlroy AJ50
Yamaha CPX-1200
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-360
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-150

Bose L1M2T1
Sennheiser 945 & 845 mics

+ electric guitars..
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-28-2012, 07:35 AM
bananas bananas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 351
Default

Yeah...incomplete for sure...they left off most of the Dynamics...only listing two, the 15 and 20...there were many more.
Not sure if they are thinking of the same guitars I am in their Concert Classic series but they missed the No. 25 and 150 plus, they got the dates wrong....I`ve read over here that they were made in the early `60s...and they left off another series...the No. 45, 85 and 300.
Japanese players also think some date to the 1940`s but were not made by Yamaha but rather for Yamaha by...either Tenryu and/or Suzuki, `course nothing is certain as Yamaha themselves ain`t spilling the beans.


Plus there is this list....



http://www.yamaha.co.jp/product/guitar/archive/
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-28-2012, 07:48 AM
steveyam steveyam is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananas View Post
Yeah...incomplete for sure...they left off most of the Dynamics...only listing two, the 15 and 20...there were many more.
Not sure if they are thinking of the same guitars I am in their Concert Classic series but they missed the No. 25 and 150 plus, they got the dates wrong....I`ve read over here that they were made in the early `60s...and they left off another series...the No. 45, 85 and 300.
Japanese players also think some date to the 1940`s but were not made by Yamaha but rather for Yamaha by...either Tenryu and/or Suzuki, `course nothing is certain as Yamaha themselves ain`t spilling the beans.


Plus there is this list....



http://www.yamaha.co.jp/product/guitar/archive/
Wow, amazing pages/site, thanks!
__________________
Experienced guitar tech and singer/guitarist based in the midlands, England.
McIlroy AJ50
Yamaha CPX-1200
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-360
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-150

Bose L1M2T1
Sennheiser 945 & 845 mics

+ electric guitars..
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-28-2012, 10:07 AM
abelville abelville is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: I live in Northern Michigan, I grew up in Flushing Michigan.
Posts: 243
Default

I have an fg-331 (1979) & fg-335 (1980)
__________________
JUST PLAY IT!!

"Snicker Doodles" Eastman AC312
"Moe" Yamaha FG-335 (1979) - Refurbishing and converting to bolt-on neck (I'll let you know how she turns out)
"Little Moe" Yamaha FG-331 (1980)
"Sweet Chocolate Brown" Agile L-2000 gold top
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Loading

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=