The Acoustic Guitar Forum  

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-20-2012, 06:15 PM

Default Adapter Bushings

Hey, new guy here. I'm working on a friend's Alvarez (RD8) and all it really needed was tuners and strings, so I assumed the Alvarez tuners on eBay would have the same peg size, but they came from a twelve string. I see Stewmac sells adapter bushings for 10mm and 10.5mm, and honestly I don't have the gauges to tell the minute difference, but I know the pegholes are roughly 10-10.5mm.

Anyway, could anyone with this guitar verify the peghole size, or just flat out tell me which bushings to buy?
Old 02-23-2012, 09:58 AM

-buy or borrow some calipers and measure the holes:

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-01407A-E...0013189&sr=8-2
i wouldn't want to earn a living with these but they are really cheap and will do.

-or get a hold of some metric drill bits and use the solid end as a gage pin. crude yes, but effective.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:01 PM

Good thinking, drill bits.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:35 PM

Now what's an as-cheap method to measure the size of the posts? These are the adapters I'm looking at. Do I measure the post near the bottom where it isn't 'tapered' in for the string?

I might be able to spot the 1/8" difference by eye, but that half millimeter is out of reach for my eyes. Good on the drill bit tip.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:00 AM

"Do I measure the post near the bottom where it isn't 'tapered' in for the string?"
-yes

"Now what's an as-cheap method to measure the size of the posts?"
-measure the existing holes on the tuner bushings that you have now. try fractional drill bits since you are looking to purchase bushings for 1/4" dia. tuners.

you really should buy some calipers. they will open up new vistas of dimensional exploration for you for years to come

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair