The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-10-2012, 06:49 PM

Default NGD: Voyage Air VAOM-04

I'm now the proud owner of a new Voyage Air VAOM-04! Thanks to Chip at Revive Music for a great transaction. As you can see, I ordered a Premier Series pickguard from Harvey and installed it. Also, I put in a bone saddle from Bob Colosi.

A little review is in order. I've owned a Taylor GS Mini for more than a year and while I loved that little guy, the neck always felt cramped, more cramped than any 1 11/16" nut I've ever played on. I loved the tone of the GSM, but I could never get used to the string spacing. So after reading much about these Voyage Airs, I had to try one.

Wow. Right out of the box, the set up was great. The neck profile is nice and I love the roominess of the 1 3/4" nut. The fit and finish are outstanding as well. I love a gloss finish, so that gave it another +1 over the GS Mini. I put in the bone saddle and noticed the low end increase in volume and depth. Yes, this is considered a "travel guitar" but it has great tone. It's articulate and clear when strummed and flatpicked. It has plenty of volume and responsiveness when played fingerstyle. It sounds so much more full and mature than the all-solid wood Silver Creek T-170 I previously owned and played for more than a year....and the VA can fit in a backpack!

My conclusion so far: The Voyage Air VAOM-04 is a great $500 guitar. Period. I believe it can hold its own against just about any other $500 OM out there (that I know of, at least). And when you factor in that you can travel with it, it's really a no-brainer. Personally, I don't think there is another guitar in the "travel guitar" category that can compete with it. What a great invention.

Ok, on with the pictures!

2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 02-10-2012, 07:36 PM

I'm glad you like it! Not surprised at all though. It is just a great guitar all around.

Isn't the sustain amazing for a part lam guitar too?

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:59 AM

Congrats Glen! I'm glad you like it. The pickguard looks great too.

Voyage Air are really excellent guitars. My own VAOM-06 is currently getting more playing time than my D-35.

Taylor GS Mini mahogany/sapele with LR Baggs M80
Voyage Air VAOM-06 sitka/sapele with LR Baggs Anthem
Yamaha Guitalele black
Taylor T3/B honey burst
Fender American Stratocaster tobacco burst
G&L Fullerton Deluxe Legacy blonde

Gone but not forgotten..... ReviveMusicStore.com
Old 02-11-2012, 01:07 AM

Very nice! Congrats on your new guitar!
Old 02-11-2012, 06:08 AM
Charter Member

Looks just like mine...same pickguard, saddle.

Nice.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:59 AM

Hey Glen - Congrats! I wish there was a Voyage Air around these areas so I could try one. Love the look of that back. At least you gave the GS Mini some time before making a decision.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:56 PM

UPDATE: In response to this thread, Voyage Air put together a little write up of me with my new VAOM-04 on their website in the "Featured Owner" section.

http://www.voyageairguitar.com/owner...featured-owner

Still loving the guitar. I've got a K&K Pure Western Mini on the way which I'll install and call it good.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
Old 02-16-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Glen View Post
UPDATE: In response to this thread, Voyage Air put together a little write up of me with my new VAOM-04 on their website in the "Featured Owner" section.

Still loving the guitar. I've got a K&K Pure Western Mini on the way which I'll install and call it good.
Glen - what an outstanding article!!! Great pics too. Keep up the great work and keep your "go bags" packed! Do you play it often at home or do you use it mostly as a travel guitar?
Old 02-16-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Glen - what an outstanding article!!! Great pics too. Keep up the great work and keep your "go bags" packed! Do you play it often at home or do you use it mostly as a travel guitar?
Dru, thanks for the encouragement. Currently, I'm playing it at home (my Taylors are a bit jealous), but I've got a few upcoming TDYs (Temporary Duties) that will take me out of town as well as a deployment on the horizon, so the VA will get some miles out of me very soon! I
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
Old 02-16-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Dru, thanks for the encouragement. Currently, I'm playing it at home (my Taylors are a bit jealous), but I've got a few upcoming TDYs (Temporary Duties) that will take me out of town as well as a deployment on the horizon, so the VA will get some miles out of me very soon! I
Voyage Air should be pleased of your review. I've been checking out their site for the past 15 minutes (again). Shipping to Canada is expensive though.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

congrats man.

They are great guitars. Personally, I think they compete with much more expensive guitars.

Stuart
Old 02-16-2012, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Please let us know how the K&K works out. I've got one in my Martin 000-15S and it's fantastic.

Oh, and I also just bought the VAOM-04 as well
Old 02-16-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:

Being the lone vet at Voyage Air, nothing makes me happier than hearing about service men and women getting a VG. I had a guitar while I was in... ironically I didn't build it though, it was a Yamaha

Harv
Old 02-16-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:

Glen,
I can't say enough how proud and honored I feel to have sold you the guitar. I couldn't believe the guitar in the pictures passed through my hands I can only imagine how much prouder Harv is to have created this fine instrument to be used in your service & ministry. Blessings!

Taylor GS Mini mahogany/sapele with LR Baggs M80
Voyage Air VAOM-06 sitka/sapele with LR Baggs Anthem
Yamaha Guitalele black
Taylor T3/B honey burst
Fender American Stratocaster tobacco burst
G&L Fullerton Deluxe Legacy blonde

Gone but not forgotten..... ReviveMusicStore.com
Old 02-16-2012, 08:47 PM

Glen, I'd love to see the V-A case in mil-spec camo.

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
voyage air