The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-31-2011, 09:10 PM

Default Solid Engelmann Spruce???

Any folks out there with an acoustic dread. sporting this type of wood? most guitars that i've played just had the regular spruce top. so how does this wood measure up with the regular? does Martin, Taylor, Gibson, Tak use similar wood. how much different in the sound of this 'englemann' spruce?
Old 08-31-2011, 09:17 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

The Taylor "Dan Crary" signature model dread has an Engelmann top;

http://video.search.yahoo.com/search...-web&fr=mcafee

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 08-31-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
The most common alternative to Sitka is Engelmann spruce, another domestic western species. Engelmann is often more expensive than Sitka due to the lower yield from its smaller logs and because most logs have a spiral-grained structure that renders them unsuitable for proper quarter-sawing. Engelmann is considerably lighter in color than Sitka spruce, lighter in weight, and usually less stiff, resulting in a slightly lower velocity of sound. Engelmann also tends to exhibit a weaker fundamental tone, although it produces a noticeably broader and stronger overtone component. It is therefore a good choice for players who require a richer, more complex tone than can be obtained from most Sitka tops, particularly when the instrument is played softly. The downside is that Engelmann tops can have lower "headroom" than Sitka tops, which is to say that clarity and definition are often sacrificed when the guitar is played loudly.
Source: http://www.pantheonguitars.com/tonewoods.htm
Old 08-31-2011, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

the Martin OMJM has Englemann on the top and likewise the Martin Johnny Cash D-35 has it as well. I like both a lot in tone, i think Martin does a real good job with Englemann and wish they offered it more. I've played some Huss/Daltons with Englemann and a Taylor or two.

To me, and this is very subjective, i really like Englemann. It provides a sweetness to a guitar that i hear. I really don't strum and i rarely use a pick, so i have no clue how it holds up for those applications. For fingerstyle, with the right person/company building the guitar, i think it brings a whole extra plate of tone into the picture-based on your playing style.

d
Old 09-01-2011, 04:43 AM

I just picked up a 2003 Alvarez Masterworks MD95 Dreadnought with an Engelmann Spruce top and Rosewood B/S.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:49 AM

I have an Eastman AC720 Dred with an Engelmann top and it sounds great. Very rich with lots of overtones, which is probably due to the combination of Engelmann top with the Rosewood back & sides, I've never played one with Mahogany b/s. I play mostly fingerstyle but it sounds great strummed as well.

Here is an clip of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8PS2QIkpF4

Kurt
Old 09-01-2011, 05:55 AM
Musical minimalist

In my opinion, the tonal difference in types of spruces is surpassed by the tonal differences when it's in the hands of different builders. There is also a great amount of variance in stiffness within each type of spruce, so there is a lot of overlap.

As an example, an Engelmann top on a Goodall any larger than a parlor is probably going to be too tubby in the midrange for my ears.....Goodalls have graduated thickness tops and it lends itself to making it appear the Englemann is of a softer variety. My Webber Roundbody (about the same size as an OM) has a very stiff Engelmann top that many would think was Adi or very stiff Sitka in a blindfold test and it exhibits great string separation.

To me it's more about how it's braced and the inherent stiffness......so it's VERY hard to draw conclusions about Engelmann/Adi/Sitka/European as a general rule.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:56 AM

In my experience the Sitka has a cleaner, simpler tone, easier to hear the fundamental. Engelmann seems richer and sweeter, with ringing harmonics, especially if played gently. The tone can degrade if you drive it hard though. Not the best for heavy strumming or picking. Horses for courses, no wood can do it all. I have never, to the best of my knowledge, played Adirondack, so can't comment on that.

Discalaimer: This is hard to empirically test unless you have two identically constructed guitars! Every guitar is unique, play as many as you can

Yamaha F310 (broken)
Admira Malaga (somewhere!)
Yamaha CG201S
Takamine EG260CBL
Simon & Patrick SP6
Yamaha LS16
Martin OM-15M
Old 09-01-2011, 12:35 PM

have a custom HandD DS-12. which is a slope shouldered dred 12 fretter with engelmann top and eir back and sides. It is a sweet cannon.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:06 PM

One of the top 2 dreadnaughts and top 5 guitars period that I have ever played is an Alvarez MD 200C. This is an all solid wood englemann over flamed maple cutaway dreadnaught. Very rich and sweet with clarity and sustain. A very versatile guitar.
Podium Guitars in Minneapolis offers a custom Martin D-28 with an engleman top. I've heard excellent talk on this guitas tone.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:41 PM

Hi Smoky, I have a OMJM with Engelmann top and have also just received my OM-28V Sitka spruce top.
My OMJM seems to have a warmer, clearer trebles, more refine tone and seems to have more overtones when finger picking.
My OM-28V is very loud and seems to be more aggressive, punchier tone.
Than again, my OMJM was secondhand when purchased and my OM-28V is only new. Two very different animals.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:07 PM
Me

I am not a fan of the sound of Engelmann spruce. I'll take Sitka, Adirondak, Carpathian, Lutz, Euro any day over Engelmann. It is a little reserved and dull in comparison to any other top wood I have used.
YMMV
Old 09-01-2011, 04:12 PM

My 1995 Taylor 510 has a AAA solid Engelmann top. They were made that way back then. Sitka is good, but I prefer Engelmann for its greater complexity. And when you get a really good piece like Taylor used back then you get increadible silking and snow white color which makes your guitar look amazing as well as sound that way.
Member #12

Acoustics:
1995 Taylor 510
1997 Taylor Custom Shop 14 size
1998 Taylor K-65 12 string
1998 Larrivee C-10E with Mucha Lady IR/Sitka

Electrics:
1999 PRS Custom 22 Artist Package - Whale Blue/Ebony
1995 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Strat - Dakota/Maple
1997 Fender California Series Fat Strat - CAR/Maple
1968 Teisco e-110 Sunburst/Maple
Old 09-01-2011, 04:55 PM

As several have mentioned the Eng spruce tops can have powerful ringing overtones. The guitar I built last year was a dread of Eng spruce with rosewood b&s. It sounds like an orchestra when strummed. Almost too many harmonics going on. It has long lasting sustain so when changing chords everything blends and it overplays on itself. Interesting sound. Mine was a very soft piece. Workabliilty was challenging so as not to ding and gouge it.
Here's a link to it....
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=217588

The Yamaha LS6 I recently picked up is also Eng spruce and rosewood. Sounds completely different. Much like many Taylors Ive played. More crisp and treblely.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:59 PM
AGF Administrator

My Ibanez AW800NT has a solid Engelmann top. Not quite as much "punch" as a Sitka top, but it's a bit warmer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion