The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-26-2011, 01:58 PM

Default Picture of my electric guitar

Just noticed there was a section for electric guitars too on here. Here is my baby. It is a 1997 Ibanez S 540 QM-TP.

Serial #20021210057 (Some where in Canada last known location)
Old 06-26-2011, 02:04 PM

That is a beauty! Love the grain on the rosewood fretboard, too.
I'm an Ibanez fan as well. I've probably owned at least 10 over the years, down to one JEM77FP....
Old 06-26-2011, 02:19 PM

Great looking guitar Jay! Does the QM-TP stand for 'quilted maple top'?

I see the fret inlay for 'custom model'? Is it?

Edit: Looks more like flamed maple than quilted.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:20 PM

Thank you. I owned 3 other electric guitars. 2 were high end Ibanezes and 1 was a medium level. I like them but after I start playing and getting good again, I would also like to pick up a Music Man electric guitar. I play their basses and love them.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Great looking guitar Jay! Does the QM-TP stand for 'quilted maple top'?

I see the fret inlay for 'custom model'? Is it?

Edit: Looks more like flamed maple than quilted.

The QM stands for Quilted Maple and the TP stands for Transparent Purple. The "Custom Made" logo was actually what Ibanez did for their higher end guitars prior to having the Prestige series. I think it was a couple of years later, they went from placing the "Custom Made" logo on the neck to just calling the line Prestige. I also had a 2002 Prestige series and I think that may have been the first year but I don't remember for sure?
Old 06-26-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDawg View Post
Thank you. I owned 3 other electric guitars. 2 were high end Ibanezes and 1 was a medium level. I like them but after I start playing and getting good again, I would also like to pick up a Music Man electric guitar. I play their basses and love them.
I have many electrics and I've hot rodded many of them myself with pick-ups (Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, and Fender). It's a different instrument than an acoustic, I must admit. Music Man Ernie Ball have great guitars. The guy in my last band had the John petrucci model. I'm more of a Les Paul guy myself.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:29 PM

There are a ton of guitars that I would love to own again but my wife would shoot me. I love Les Paul's too and would like to have a few of them some time later on down the road but right now I am concentrating on just learning how to play again. I got descent a number of years ago and then stopped playing right after we moved to Colorado and forgot everything I knew. I even suck at transitioning to different chords. It will take time but hopefully I will pick it back up quick. It's been slow going though. Almost like starting brand new from scratch.

What I am looking at right now though is a small combo amp for the house that would be good for my acoustic and electric. I looked at a Peavy VYPYR and it played nice but the more I read about it, it was horrible reliability issues. Same with the Line 6 model that was similar. Now I am looking at a Fender combo amp but it doesn't have any of the extra bells and whistles the other amps have. But maybe that's not a bad thing?
Old 06-26-2011, 02:37 PM

An amp to handle both electric and acoustic guitars is tough. Any amount of distortion is unwanted with an acoustic and at least a little break-up is great for electric. You should be fine as long as you don't get a tube amp.

Edit: Wow - I just saw the strap. Did that come with the guitar???? It looks great with that Ibanez.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:03 PM

I bought the strap a number of years ago. When I saw it, I too thought it would look killer with that guitar.

A few of the combo amps I have looked at have some effects in them but you can also play them without effects. With the aoustic, that is how I plan on playing it.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:46 AM

Default Ibanez Guitars

I don't mean to offend anyone, but I just can't see what's so appealing about Ibanez guitars, or Schecters for that matter. They seem to be low priced shred machines. I think it may be because I haven't ever seen nor played a top of the line Ibanez. I'm told there out there.

I had a horrible shock when I saw my Taylor dealership rid itself of it's Taylor and Martin lines and stop ordering Mesa Boogie, PRS and even Fender Amps. They none of this stuff was moving due to the economy. They filled the place with Ibanez and Mexican Fenders. All they carry for amps are Peavy and Line 6.

If everyone reacts this way, which it seems they must to deal with the market, we will flooded with mediocrity.

Can anyone point me to a really good model Ibanez so I can see for my self why so many people like them? And I know, there's lots of people who love Mexican Fenders!

SB
Old 06-29-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sword Bringer View Post
Can anyone point me to a really good model Ibanez so I can see for my self why so many people like them? And I know, there's lots of people who love Mexican Fenders!
SB
http://www.ibanez.com/HollowBodyGuitars/Series-gb
I've played one, it's definitely a guitar I'd be happy to have. I'm currently playing with a woman who has an Ibanez Artcore, not sure which one, and it is also a very nice instrument. Can't speak to solid bodies, although I have a Roadstar II-bought several years ago at a tag sale for peanuts and still in pieces, did get the parts it was missing but haven't had the ambition to put it all together.
Brad
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I don't mean to offend anyone, but I just can't see what's so appealing about Ibanez guitars, or Schecters for that matter. They seem to be low priced shred machines. I think it may be because I haven't ever seen nor played a top of the line Ibanez. I'm told there out there.

I had a horrible shock when I saw my Taylor dealership rid itself of it's Taylor and Martin lines and stop ordering Mesa Boogie, PRS and even Fender Amps. They none of this stuff was moving due to the economy. They filled the place with Ibanez and Mexican Fenders. All they carry for amps are Peavy and Line 6.

If everyone reacts this way, which it seems they must to deal with the market, we will flooded with mediocrity.

SB
No offense taken. With the Ibanez basses, I will take a Soundgear SR 500 anyday over a higher end Prestige model. The extra money is not worth it. However, on the other end of the spectrum concerning their guitars, their higher end ones are actually pretty nice. This one brand new went for around $1,500.00 to $1,800.00 if my memory serves me correctly. So with them, for around 1k to $1,500.00, you can actually get a pretty decent guitar but I also understand that for that kind of money, you have a ton of other guitars that you can buy in the price range too. Music Man, Gibson, U.S. Strat, etc.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:30 AM

Concerning small combo amps, I use a Roland Cube 30X. It does the crunch/overdrive thing nicely at low volume. I haven't used it for acoustic though....
Old 06-30-2011, 10:02 AM

My first electric was an RG so I've always drooled over these hot-rodded premium floyd rose equipped models.

Sword Bringer,

I know what you mean man. Like Fender, they flooded the market with lower-end Korean and Taiwanese made variants for years. They should have changed names (Like Squier, or Epiphone) to limit that low-value perception.

Ibanez has been a guitar icon in Japan for way longer than Fender has been around. They make some great axes, and as far as electrics go, they had a huge piece of the 80's superstrat era. I've always admired their hot sonic capabilities, but I'm not into that kind of music anymore.

I wonder if the Vai or Satriani models are still around?
Yamaha FG-460SA (late 80's)
Gibson Les Paul Studio (early 90's)
Old 06-30-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:

SB
Caution ...long opinion alert

I am not a fan of this entire "genre" of guitar, if you will, but maybe that's because I am a lousy shredder. That said, Schecter and Ibanez make many superb guitars, and the latter some amazing ones that I've had in my hands. Putting aside personal preferences for tone, the quality and setup of some of these are simply stellar, and they represent killer bang-for-buck guitars from the low 3-figure range all the way up to 4-figure prices. Not to mention their used prices represent even better deals given the "level" of guitar one gets.

Nor should you discount the fact that Ibanez has made superb "non-shredder" guits for decades and their semis and full hollows in the low-price range are much more than you'd get from the big-name offerings, and their higher-end ones absolutely give Gibby et.al. a run for their money, not just in quality but of course in tone and playability.

In other words, I think both Iban and Schect get a bad rap, for whatever reason(s), and what they offer all along the price spectrum are honestly good/competitive guitars that many poo-poo because of said rep. So your "medicrity" comment is, in my opinion, very much unfounded: not only when comparing to other marques with respect to price, but even on their own merits irrespective of price. You may not like them, which is fair, but that says nothing about their quality and "worthiness" as good instruments. What your dealer obviously chose to do is shift his inventory to better serve his demographics: that's not a move toward mediocrity as much as is his desire to be competitive given his clientelle.

As for MIM Fenders, well just like MIA Fenders they are hit-miss; some great, others medicore and reflective of their prices (or worse). But given how easy/cheap it is to mod any Fender, they offer great allure. Again, bang-for-buck considerations, and with every guitar "YMMV" irrespective of its pricetag.

FWIW, I am and have been a Mesa die-hard for well over a decade, absolutely love my orig 80 Am Strat (bought it new and it's been my #1 electric), my Lesters fill that bucker void in my soul, and my Taylors are my instant go-to acoustics. But none of this obviates my desire to have other less-costly guitars that fill other niches. So long as they play and sound good they stay; I don't have to make any excuses for their brand name or country of origin.

Oh, and to the OP, great looking top and finish. Bet it plays amazingly!

Edward

Last edited by edward993; 06-30-2011 at 10:40 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification