The Acoustic Guitar Forum  

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-25-2011, 07:07 PM

Default Fake knock off martin guitars made in china any good?? Whats the deal?

I found a brand new knock off martin hd28 for $xxx which is alot cheaper than $xxxx for a USA made one. Ive always supported not buying from china and spending the money on American made products..but my budget is pretty tight and this guitar looks exactly like the $xxxx but does it sound like it? Has anyone purchased one of these?

Thanks

Wanted:Martin HD-28

Last edited by Darrel; 03-25-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:14 PM

Where did you find it?
Larrivée 00-03MT
Martin HD-28
Gibson J-45
Blueridge BR-160
Blueridge BR-40
-----------------
Sunday's on the phone to Monday, Tuesday's on the phone to me........
Old 03-25-2011, 07:26 PM

Hi Frank! chinese market online..a guy at the local guitar shop told me about them

thanks

Wanted:Martin HD-28
Old 03-25-2011, 07:27 PM

A quick reminder:

NO GUITAR PRICING DISCUSSIONS: We respectfully ask that you keep guitar pricing discussions offline. We think pricing discussions in this forum can hurt dealers and ultimately hurt customers. When someone posts that they bought a guitar for XXXX, that suddenly sets the price for a lot of other dealers to have to match to stay competitive. It doesn't matter if the more expensive dealer offers better service or value-adds, has a nicer display room where the instruments are better cared for, etc.

Darrel
AGF Moderator
Old 03-25-2011, 07:28 PM

No, it's not going to sound like the the genuine Martin. You'd have a difficult time finding the materials for a Martin HD-28 for $350, much less an assembled guitar at that price.

What's more, it's illegal to import a counterfeit Martin into the United States. There's an excellent chance that this ersatz instrument would be seized by US Customs.

And having a "tight budget" is no excuse for participating in a wholesale rip-off of a long-established brand like Martin guitars. I think you'd actually DESERVE whatever you got if you were to buy this instrument, but aside from being blatantly illegal it's wrong on so many other levels that I have to question whether you have any ethics at all.

Short version: it's a bad idea. If you've only got that much money to spend, watch Craigslist and buy a used Seagull guitar, which will almost certainly sound better than any Chinese-made rip-off copy of Martin, and will have the added benefit of being completely legal.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-25-2011, 07:32 PM
Then Play On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKitchen View Post
Hi Frank! chinese market online..a guy at the local guitar shop told me about them

thanks
"Whats the deal?" - Well, I'm thinking that would be a bad deal to get involved in.

Last edited by Taylorplayer; 03-25-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:36 PM
Acoustic Guitar

I recommend that you buy the guitar - and then tell us exactly how happy/sad you are.

BTW, if a guitar is a "fake knock off" does that mean it's the real thing (sort of a double negative)?

Larry Pattis on Pandora!
My music on YouTube
LarryPattis.com

Guitars by Simon Fay

"The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance.” ~ Will Durant

"That which you manifest is before you." ~ Garth Stein, "The Art of Racing in the Rain"
Old 03-25-2011, 07:45 PM
Then Play On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
I recommend that you buy the guitar - and then tell us exactly how happy/sad you are.

BTW, if a guitar is a "fake knock off" does that mean it's the real thing (sort of a double negative)?

I'm thinking that it would...............
Old 03-25-2011, 07:52 PM

Sure...if you like dealing in contraband and being a criminal - knock yourself out!

For $350 I am sure it'll be JUST like the real thing, which is over 2 grand...

...but not really - just illegal crap.

Tell ya what though...you get one that REALLY looks and plays like this for less then xx, you let us know (though it will still be illegal)...

Last edited by cotten; 03-26-2011 at 01:48 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:54 PM

I for one wouldn't buy one. I'm curious as to what it looks like. Surely there's no harm in looking at one?
I manufacture products myself and was ripped off by a company in another country, sold a copy of my design with my company name on it, so I know the feeling of being ripped off, albeit in a somewhat smaller scale.
Larrivée 00-03MT
Martin HD-28
Gibson J-45
Blueridge BR-160
Blueridge BR-40
-----------------
Sunday's on the phone to Monday, Tuesday's on the phone to me........

Last edited by FranK_S; 03-25-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKitchen View Post
I found a brand new knock off martin hd28 for $xxx which is alot cheaper than $xxxx for a USA made one. Ive always supported not buying from china and spending the money on American made products..but my budget is pretty tight and this guitar looks exactly like the $xxxx but does it sound like it? Has anyone purchased one of these?

Thanks
Buyer beware. Consider this- If these companies will breech intellectual and trademark property in an effort to pass off these as genuine, then how much effort do you think they will put into ensuring the customer gets a quality product?

Your best bet for a Martin copy is to buy from an established US company who buiilds using similar secs to Martin, such as Blueridge or Recording King. That Martin Fake is two things, (1) Theft, if they're using a Martin logo and (2) very likely a poor sounding cosmetic copy with nothing other than similar shape.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:19 PM

I for one do not like a company ripping off an American Icon like Martin and then calling it there own. However Yamaha and Eastman are made in China and sound great. So are many other guitars. We didnt even hear them yet. What if they played great and sounded awsome? I'm sure a true martin player could tell the difference on the build. Now if we could just convince them to change their name we would have another good sounding moderate priced China made guitar to choose from for those who cant or wont spend for the real deal.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

The story behind the Chinese "Martin" knock-off is that the Chinese company registered the Martin trademark in China (and is now manufacturing "Martin" knockoffs) so that the real USA Martin cannot import and sell their guitars into China. However, the fake knock-off Chinese "Martin" cannot be legally imported into the USA because it would infringe Martin's legal USA trademark.

The US government may or may not do anything about your bringing an illegal guitar into the USA -- you never know, except that US Customs is very much aware of this dispute -- but Martin would certainly have a case for suing you, personally, for trademark infringement if they had the ability to find out about your purchase.

Why support this kind of behavior?

As Turp notes, if you want to spend less, look into Blueridge or Recording King or as Wade notes, check out Seagull. Blueridge and Recording King are making clones of USA guitar designs but not trying to steal anyone's tradename or trademark. Seagull is a quality guitar manufactured in Canada that is not copying anyone and they are very cost-effective.

- Glenn

PS: Some people have posted comments that they have tried these fake Chinese "Martins" and they were not up to the Martin quality or sound by quite a distance.

Last edited by Glennwillow; 03-25-2011 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Added PS
Old 03-25-2011, 08:56 PM

From a Canadian guitar player.......
Stay true to your country, and the long standing corporations within your country!
Don't buy counterfeit products from other countries.
Stealing the name of any factory built product is very wrong. Don't support that activity no matter what your budget is!
It is wrong and immoral.

Rodd
Old 03-25-2011, 10:51 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

First off, who is making this "knock off" Martin ?
A manufacture that has built decnt reputations like Blueridge and Eastman ....or an unknown entity, imported by a somebody to the states, who gives them some evocative anglicized name and refuses to say where exactly the guitars are imported from?

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion