The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-25-2011, 04:09 PM

Default What equipment is needed to play live?

Hello,

Im just starting out to play an acoustic show live. Other than an acoustic guitar with a nice pickup and eq in it, do I need any other equipment to play over a PA?

Also, should i play over the PA or should I have an acoustic amp instead?

Many thanks,
2009 Norman B18
2011 Larrivee L-03
Old 03-25-2011, 04:38 PM

All you need is a guitar cable long enough to reach the mixing board.

You don't need a amp if you're going through a PA.

Make sure you have a fresh battery in your pickup!
Old 03-25-2011, 04:54 PM

Tuner, capo, plectrum...
Old 03-25-2011, 09:45 PM

The simplest answer is you and your instrument. Many of us have played small-venue and street performed without the aid of more. As your venue grows, you will need more. If the venue has a PA then all you need is two microphones (one for you and one for a guitar) and you're set. If you have electronics in your guitar then plug in and use a mic. You certainly don't need an acoustic amp. Start slow and buy only what you need for the last or next performance and, if possible, only buy quality.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimTrunks View Post
...Also, should i play over the PA or should I have an acoustic amp instead?
Hi ST…
I've done both…as a result I always carry an amp.

Normally I use an acoustic stage amp for me, and then I send a feed from it to the house. If it's a large venue they take my vocal directly to the house, and the guitar first to my stage amp directly behind me waist/shoulder high, and then to the PA.

Coffee shops or other small venues, I use my amp as a small PA (singing and playing through it).

I ask large venues to keep my guitar out of the monitor directly in front of me to prevent feedback (my amp provides plenty of monitor & it doesn't ever feed back).

Hope this adds to the discussion…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-25-2011, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

As has been stated, you could probably make it with a guitar and a pick; depends upon the availability of other items at the performance site...

I'd say a guitar stand, extra batteries, picks (if you use 'em), a guitar cord (and a back-up, in case...), microphone, cord and mic stand (if you sing), a tuner (if you use one - you haven't LIVED until you've tried to tune your guitar by ear in a loud room, btw!), your song notebook or set list (if you use them), either a strap or a stool to sit on (don't assume that the venue will have one for you), something to use as a tip jar (same caveat as the stool comment), a timepiece of some sort (unless your gig has a clock visible), extra strings and picks, copies of any cds of your own that you might want to sell... getting the idea?

Now, if the PA is your own (or w/ an amp), the list expands to include: an extension cord/power strip, a "3>2" prong adapter, all needed cords to connect everything, and extra fuses... and some duct tape (the miracle tool!).

Make a list of all you need to take with you, until it's second nature. You'll forget or need something that I haven't mentioned, and you will learn.

Oh, and... don't forget your guitar! Have fun!

Hope this is helpful to you...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 03-25-2011, 11:49 PM

Depending on your guitar's pickup, you may need a direct box.

Burner MS #0013
Taylor 414rce
Taylor 716ce-ltd
Cordoba 75r
Old 03-26-2011, 02:00 AM

I take (in order of importance!):

My guitar (which has a fishman rare earth)
capo
Tuner
Lead
Harmonicas
Harmonica brace
Spare strings
String Winder
Notebook + Pen

I normally have a spare of everything if it's a 'proper' gig (ie not an open mic night) but I have been known to turn up with just my guitar, my capo (which is so important I have one permanently taped to the inside of my case!) and my harmonicas/holder if I know the people running the gig and have already asked about using leads and stuff.

All you really need when you're starting out is a guitar, preferably with some kind of pickup, and some songs to play.

If you're going to go to open mics etc, get yourself a Fishman Neo D or something similar - don't rely on being able to mic your guitar up!
Old 03-29-2011, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
As has been stated, you could probably make it with a guitar and a pick; depends upon the availability of other items at the performance site...

I'd say a guitar stand, extra batteries, picks (if you use 'em), a guitar cord (and a back-up, in case...), microphone, cord and mic stand (if you sing), a tuner (if you use one - you haven't LIVED until you've tried to tune your guitar by ear in a loud room, btw!), your song notebook or set list (if you use them), either a strap or a stool to sit on (don't assume that the venue will have one for you), something to use as a tip jar (same caveat as the stool comment), a timepiece of some sort (unless your gig has a clock visible), extra strings and picks, copies of any cds of your own that you might want to sell... getting the idea?

Now, if the PA is your own (or w/ an amp), the list expands to include: an extension cord/power strip, a "3>2" prong adapter, all needed cords to connect everything, and extra fuses... and some duct tape (the miracle tool!).

Make a list of all you need to take with you, until it's second nature. You'll forget or need something that I haven't mentioned, and you will learn.

Oh, and... don't forget your guitar! Have fun!

Hope this is helpful to you...
This is good advice - there are lots of things that could happen, but probably won't during a gig, but you have to be prepared in case they do. I carry these items in the same duffel bag that carries my cables and effects. You only have to put the "kit" together once; after that you just grab the bag and you know it's all there. A string winder also is a must if you need to change a string during a set. "For want of a nail, the horse was lost . . .." Believe it or not, I did see a guy once forget his guitar, though he brought his whole PA system, and he was fortunately able to borrow a guitar to play the gig. Last thing you do when you get in your vehicle - look at your gear and make sure it's all in there.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimTrunks View Post
Hello,

Im just starting out to play an acoustic show live. Other than an acoustic guitar with a nice pickup and eq in it, do I need any other equipment...
For most gigs, I think clothes (at least swim trunks) would be nice.

cotten

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification