The Acoustic Guitar Forum  

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-14-2011, 09:24 PM
tayguitars tayguitars is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12
Default Bamboo as a tonewood :)

Lol i personally thiink this might be ridiculously stupid...but just because im idle...what do u think bamboo would sound like if it was a tonewood???
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-14-2011, 10:01 PM
BESoundProject BESoundProject is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 67
Default

Terrible, because it would have to be a composite of many pieces glued together. Having a solid piece of bamboo the size needed for a guitar would be physically impossible to my knowledge due to the physical characteristics of the plant. There just wouldn't be a way to get solid pieces that are big enough to make a guitar out of.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-14-2011, 10:16 PM
Steely Glen Steely Glen is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Wild Blue Yonder
Posts: 1,574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESoundProject View Post
..There just wouldn't be a way to get solid pieces that are big enough to make a guitar out of...
But those little pieces are perfect to put in red curry.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-14-2011, 10:41 PM
IcemanYVR IcemanYVR is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESoundProject View Post
There just wouldn't be a way to get solid pieces that are big enough to make a guitar out of.
... yeah, but it sure looks nice on my floors
__________________
~ Cheers, Allan ~

Yamaha FG720S
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-14-2011, 10:45 PM
Baxter Baxter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Almost Wisconsin
Posts: 228
Default

I betcha Bob Taylor could do it. He might have already tried.
__________________
Player of many Taylors
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-14-2011, 10:49 PM
Brian85 Brian85 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Farmington, CT
Posts: 331
Default

I know yamaha used to make a bamboo acoustic.
__________________
Acoustic
Taylor Grand Concert 8


Electric
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Blues Junior
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-14-2011, 10:52 PM
nrand nrand is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide SA
Posts: 569
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayguitars View Post
Lol i personally thiink this might be ridiculously stupid...but just because im idle...what do u think bamboo would sound like if it was a tonewood???
For bamboo flutes it is probably the best available , other possibilities might include the Asian Digeridoo..... binding materials . . . maybe we could be on to something here? Then again I am possibly less idle than you otherwise I would have given a more thoughtful answer

there might be a scarcity issue with bamboo of sufficient dimensions, so you might also try here:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...panda-ape.html
__________________
sapiens populus eo per camelus

Cole Clark FL1 12 String
K Yairi YW600
Martin D25K
Taylor BTO GA -Eng/Hog
Yairi Alvarez DY74C
& an electric
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-14-2011, 11:21 PM
gmm55 gmm55 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 759
Default

In skilled hands, bamboo has as much potential as any other non-traditional wood or material. Geometry is an issue to be overcome, as obviously any guitar parts will need to be pieced together, but again, with some ingenuity, a competent luthier would be able to exploit some of the more interesting properties of bamboo.

There are thousands of different bamboos, but one kind is known to be the strongest plant on planet Earth. Tonkin cane, the traditional material for flyrods, has a Modulus of Elasticity of 6.2 million PSI, which is about 15% stronger than the next few strongest species of tree, like Pernambuco, Wamara, Snakewood, etc, yet with a similar density of 70 pounds per cubic foot.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-14-2011, 11:37 PM
gmm55 gmm55 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 759
Default

What kind of tone it would have is very difficult to estimate. Heck, if you read various wood threads in the general forum, you will see that there is not much consensus even on very well known woods, so there is little hope of knowing much more without actually hearing one. My wild guess is that the tonal variations would be very broad, as the Modulus of Elasticity (or more simply, stiffness) varies a great deal across bamboo species, so it would all come down to material selection, and construction methods, in other words, everything that goes into making a guitar.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-14-2011, 11:39 PM
nrand nrand is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide SA
Posts: 569
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrand View Post
For bamboo flutes it is probably the best available , other possibilities might include the Asian Digeridoo..... binding materials . . . maybe we could be on to something here? Then again I am possibly less idle than you otherwise I would have given a more thoughtful answer

there might be a scarcity issue with bamboo of sufficient dimensions, so you might also try here:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...panda-ape.html
I admonish myself for my idle flippancy
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/back...oo-guitar.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sa_iEwX3D0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqEfa9hAAMo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP2pC...embedded#at=41
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqRqR...layer_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFg-6...eature=related
__________________
sapiens populus eo per camelus

Cole Clark FL1 12 String
K Yairi YW600
Martin D25K
Taylor BTO GA -Eng/Hog
Yairi Alvarez DY74C
& an electric

Last edited by nrand; 03-14-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-15-2011, 04:09 AM
Kitchen Guitars's Avatar
Kitchen Guitars Kitchen Guitars is offline
AGF Sponsor formerly Yamaha Junkie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South West Pennsylvania
Posts: 7,240
Default





I owned the Yamaha. Maybe if they'd put a Sika top on the thing it might have stood a chance. But back sides and top? Didn't work so good. I affectionately called it "the Bowling Alley"
One;
What weighs more than wood? Glue. What do you use to join 25K chopsticks worth of bamboo together? 8 pounds of glue. It was a very heavy guitar.
Two;
the tone was BRIGHT! I tried to learn slide on it. The Star Trek theme sounded pretty good on it.
Three; Why a Rosewood headplate? Aesthetically it threw off the whole Funky theme.
It was a must have for a Yamaha collection. There was/is a reason folks are not searching for them like a 59' D18 lol
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-15-2011, 05:34 AM
nrand nrand is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide SA
Posts: 569
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Guitars View Post
One;
What weighs more than wood? Glue. What do you use to join 25K chopsticks worth of bamboo together? 8 pounds of glue. It was a very heavy guitar.
Two;
the tone was BRIGHT! I tried to learn slide on it. The Star Trek theme sounded pretty good on it.
Three; Why a Rosewood headplate? Aesthetically it threw off the whole Funky theme.
A hollow i.e raw bamboo section for the neck could be aesthetically appealing and a weight saver as well. A bit bumpy for slide but with a correctly measured selection of bamboo the bumps could replace the need for fret markers....
__________________
sapiens populus eo per camelus

Cole Clark FL1 12 String
K Yairi YW600
Martin D25K
Taylor BTO GA -Eng/Hog
Yairi Alvarez DY74C
& an electric
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-15-2011, 07:45 AM
skyver skyver is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 866
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Guitars View Post
I owned the Yamaha. Maybe if they'd put a Sika top on the thing it might have stood a chance. But back sides and top? Didn't work so good. I affectionately called it "the Bowling Alley"
One;
What weighs more than wood? Glue. What do you use to join 25K chopsticks worth of bamboo together? 8 pounds of glue. It was a very heavy guitar.
Two;
the tone was BRIGHT! I tried to learn slide on it. The Star Trek theme sounded pretty good on it.
Three; Why a Rosewood headplate? Aesthetically it threw off the whole Funky theme.
It was a must have for a Yamaha collection. There was/is a reason folks are not searching for them like a 59' D18 lol
So do you you feel you were bamboozled?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-15-2011, 08:32 AM
kwakatak kwakatak is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Allegheny County, PA
Posts: 3,199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Guitars View Post




I owned the Yamaha. Maybe if they'd put a Sika top on the thing it might have stood a chance. But back sides and top? Didn't work so good. I affectionately called it "the Bowling Alley"
One;
What weighs more than wood? Glue. What do you use to join 25K chopsticks worth of bamboo together? 8 pounds of glue. It was a very heavy guitar.
Two;
the tone was BRIGHT! I tried to learn slide on it. The Star Trek theme sounded pretty good on it.
Three; Why a Rosewood headplate? Aesthetically it threw off the whole Funky theme.
It was a must have for a Yamaha collection. There was/is a reason folks are not searching for them like a 59' D18 lol
Yup. The only thing missing on that guitar was bridge pins shaped like little bowling pins! Being laminated though I suppose you'd never have to worry about the dreaded "7-10 Split!"
__________________
~ Cornelius Clodhopper

2013 Kwakatak/OLF MJ/MC
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivee OM-03R
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-15-2011, 09:31 AM
gmm55 gmm55 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 759
Default

It's hard to understand why a company that is supposed to know how to make guitars would use bamboo for the top as well. One trusts that prototypes were made, and surely those tonal problems just described manifested in them as well.

I don't think that Yamaha would fairly represent how well bamboo might perform as a tonewood.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Loading

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=