The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-08-2011, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Default Proper Acoustic Neck Angle?

I have recently acquired a fairly new, Larrivee L-03 Acoustic Guitar. After tweaking the action to my liking (about .010 of relief and 3/32" on the bass & 2/32" on the treble at the 12th fret) I noticed that the treble side of the saddle looks a little lower than I am used to. This made me look into neck angles and according my research you should be able to run a straight edge from the top of the frets on the neck and it should reach the top of the bridge. Mine is right below. When I measure the string height from the top of the bridge to the bottom of the string I am getting the same measurements as the 12th fret. So the high e string is sitting 2/32" above the bridge measured at the saddle itself. I am wondering if I have a faulty guitar that didn't have the neck angle properly set or is it normal.

Last edited by stratmansblues; 02-10-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:46 PM

If it plays fine I wouldn't worry. The neck angle is a bit low for what I build. I prefer a bit more saddle exposed. A straight edge on my guitars on a fretted fretboard hits about 1/16th above the bridge. Another thing that can be done is to have ramps placed by the bridge pins. This will increase the break angle a bit.

Is there any change in at the 14th fret where the neck is attached to the body?
Old 02-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azimmer1 View Post
If it plays fine I wouldn't worry. The neck angle is a bit low for what I build. I prefer a bit more saddle exposed. A straight edge on my guitars on a fretted fretboard hits about 1/16th above the bridge. Another thing that can be done is to have ramps placed by the bridge pins. This will increase the break angle a bit.

Is there any change in at the 14th fret where the neck is attached to the body?
What do you mean change at the 14th fret? As far as action measurement?
Old 02-08-2011, 08:54 PM

Is the fretboard straight where the neck attaches to the body? Look down the entire fretboard from the headstock to the bridge. Some guitars with a poorly set neck will have a slight valley at this joint. One of the sign of a neck that needs to be reset.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

It has a dip in the fingerboard right after it meets the body. I have seen that same dip on a lot of acoustic guitars.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:05 PM

A dip....not a hump. This shows the the neck angle is off a bit. A perfectly set up guitar will have the neck straight from the headstock to the end of the fretboard including the neck body joint with only a bit of relief. It is not that unusual to see a slight change at the neck body joint.

Was this guitar new? A new Larrivee shouldn't have a dip. Since the guitar plays fine and you can set the action to your liking, I wouldn't be too worried. Eventually you might be heading towards needing a neck reset. This is typically done when there isn't enough room to lower the action to your liking and when it is clear the neck angle is off. That could be years from now.... Enjoy the guitar
Old 02-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azimmer1 View Post
A dip....not a hump. This shows the the neck angle is off a bit. A perfectly set up guitar will have the neck straight from the headstock to the end of the fretboard including the neck body joint with only a bit of relief. It is not that unusual to see a slight change at the neck body joint.

Was this guitar new? A new Larrivee shouldn't have a dip. Since the guitar plays fine and you can set the action to your liking, I wouldn't be too worried. Eventually you might be heading towards needing a neck reset. This is typically done when there isn't enough room to lower the action to your liking and when it is clear the neck angle is off. That could be years from now.... Enjoy the guitar
The guitar was purchased new and it is a 2011 model. It is playing good, I just got a little worried when I saw how low the saddle looked. It is 4/64" higher than the bridge on the high e side so it has room before it is laying on the bridge.

Last edited by stratmansblues; 02-10-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:28 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quick and easy way to check neck angle, from Frets.com;

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musi...neckangle.html

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 02-08-2011, 11:26 PM

I don't see a dip at the neck/body joint. But it is hard to see via a picture
Old 02-09-2011, 12:49 AM

It looks like the fretboard is angled back down when it hits the body. I have seen this on numerous guitars...
Old 02-09-2011, 03:23 AM

I did a set-up on my Larrivee OM19 a couple years ago and installed a WAHI saddle. My saddle protrusion above the bridge appears to be very similar to what you are seeing. Mine plays and sounds great. I wouldn't worry about it.

Larrivee OM-19
Sandy Creek Mountain Dulcimers
Flea Ukulele

"Love in a memory, sparkled like diamond. When the diamonds fall, they burn like tears" -- Nancy Griffith
Old 02-09-2011, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Well the guitar plays fine and it sounds as it should. It sounds like I may be worrying about something that isn't really a big deal. Considering what I paid for the guitar, if I get a few years of playing time out of it that would be all I can ask and by the time it would need a neck reset, it will probably be traded or sold off. I usually don't keep guitars too long anyways being that there is always something else I am wanting. That you all for your input.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

Also, from what I remember, the last time I was looking at acoustic guitars, I was looking at two identical Martins. One of them had a saddle that looked even lower than the one on my Larrivee and the other one looked normal. I ended up buying the one with the taller saddle thinking that I would have more room for adjustment over time and I didn't even think about the neck angle.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd6969 View Post
It looks like the fretboard is angled back down when it hits the body. I have seen this on numerous guitars...
this can be very common -- that is why Taylor created the NT neck-- won`t happen with them. Can`t happen as the fret board above the 14th fret does not lay on the top of the guitar.
But with a conventional glue in neck I have seen this many times even on new off the wall models and in expensive ones. the amount of saddle does not look that bad if all other measurements are in spec like action and relief. My 816CE is fairly close to looking like that. Action though is lower than factory specs but it came shipped that way from Taylor.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Taylor has an interesting view on neck angles in this article.

http://www.taylorguitars.com/global/...k_and_neck.pdf

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion