The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-04-2011, 04:40 PM

Default Anyone using Godin strings?

In my continuing effort to find my "new favorite" strings, I have tried many. I recently tied on some of the Godin phosphorous bronze strings on my Taylor 410 ce. I have always admired the tone quality of the Seagull guitars (especially for the price) and wondered how much of this admiration could be accredited to the Godin strings that come installed on them from the factory. I have had a lengthy battle with the Elixir strings, which sound great, but are best when purchased by the dozen, as that is how many I would go though in a months time (only slight exaggeration here). It could be that my travis pick style isn't conducive to using Elixirs. And I know that there are more string brands out there than I'll ever know. But, after about a month on my Taylor, I'm still on my first set and they still sound pretty **** good. Anyone else have an opinion of the Godin strings?
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500
Bose L-1 Model 1
Marshall AS100D Acoustic Amp
Old 02-04-2011, 05:12 PM

I'm not positive, but i believe there strings are made my D'Addario. When I changed strings the first time on my S6 I used EJ16's and I swear they were identical.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:08 PM

Default Godin

Manufacturing guitar strings is a major investment in time, money, skilled workers and know-how. It is very unlikely that Godin makes its own strings, but probably contracts an established string maker to create sets and packaging. So the above poster might be right - they could be D'Addario strings.

Incidentally, D'Addario doesn't really make strings. That is, they do not own any foundries. Most of the core and wrap wires come from various suppliers, and D'Addario does the final assembly (wrapping the lower 4 strings), the colored end buttons and packaging. This is the same with most of the others. Mapes is the only company I know that actually makes its own strings, and supplies core wire to many of the other 'manufacturers.' Mapes also has a line of their guitar strings for sale (they mostly make piano strings).
Old 02-04-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleFudd View Post
I'm not positive, but i believe there strings are made my D'Addario. When I changed strings the first time on my S6 I used EJ16's and I swear they were identical.
I've always assumed that as well. Godin says "Guitar innovator Robert Godin united with the leading string manufacturer in the United States to create these outstanding strings," and D'Addario claims to be the leading string manufacturer in the United States. And, for example, the gauges of Godin's light acoustic guitar strings match D'Addario's gauges (i.e., for a set of .012s, the rest are .016, .024, .032, .042, and .053).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion