The Acoustic Guitar Forum  

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Blitzwing Blitzwing is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 52
Default analog vs digital hygrometers

Just a quick question for those of you who may have used both since the reviews of digital hygrometers appear mixed at best. Are analog hygometers more accurate?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-03-2010, 12:08 PM
deja deja is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 290
Default

From what I understand, analog vs. digital doesn't have much if anything to do with their accuracy. And you are so right about reviews being a mixed bag. The info out there on hygrometers is so varied that it's difficult to know who or what to believe. From my "research" the Extech 445815 seems to get the most consistently high ratings - http://www.amazon.com/Extech-445815-...1404417&sr=1-2

I don't own the Extech but am hoping Santa will put one in my stocking this year.
__________________
"It is impossible to imagine Goethe or Beethoven being good at billiards or golf." H. L. Mencken

Last edited by deja; 12-04-2010 at 02:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-03-2010, 12:09 PM
rlgph's Avatar
rlgph rlgph is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 351
Default

The one i have appears overall to be more accurate than my digital ones, maybe because it can be set to match the value of a reference humidity reading, such as can be obtained from a sling psychrometer. So far as i can tell, the readings of my digital hygrometers cannot be adjusted.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Yggdrasil Yggdrasil is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto/Buffalo
Posts: 368
Default

AFAICT, this is the last word in hygrometers ( yes, those crazy Germans again!):

https://www.abbeon.com/store/item.cfm?code=1562

12th Fret - our local great acoustic store, uses them.

That being said, I brought my digital hygrometer into their store, left it in a controlled room for a day, then simply noted the discrepancy from Abbeon in order to make my own readings (in my case, my digital hygrometer was right on).

Caveat: Doesn't account for possible variation across the entire range, tho.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-03-2010, 01:11 PM
deja deja is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
AFAICT, this is the last word in hygrometers ( yes, those crazy Germans again!):

https://www.abbeon.com/store/item.cfm?code=1562

12th Fret - our local great acoustic store, uses them.

That being said, I brought my digital hygrometer into their store, left it in a controlled room for a day, then simply noted the discrepancy from Abbeon in order to make my own readings (in my case, my digital hygrometer was right on).

Caveat: Doesn't account for possible variation across the entire range, tho.
Yep, the Abbeon's seem to be the creme de la creme of hygrometers. The ISO-9001 certification is an important factor. All the one's I've looked at with that certification appear to be in that same price range. Unfortunately, my Santa doesn't have that deep of pockets.
__________________
"It is impossible to imagine Goethe or Beethoven being good at billiards or golf." H. L. Mencken
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-03-2010, 01:38 PM
Brackett Instruments's Avatar
Brackett Instruments Brackett Instruments is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Grover NC
Posts: 6,076
Default

I buy Caliber III's in large quanities, and check their accuracy with both potassium carbonate, and table salt. They're pretty good. Out of the last 10 I tested 8 were right on. I labeled the 2 that were off and use them myself. The other are for sale in my store.

FWIW, the 2 that weren't correct were off -3%, and +2%.
__________________
woody b politically incorrect since 1964
Brackett Instruments Handmade Acoustic Guitars.
Big companies build guitars for profit. We build them for musicians.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-03-2010, 02:03 PM
Cocobolo Kid's Avatar
Cocobolo Kid Cocobolo Kid is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 396
Smile Abbeon Hygrometer at Elderly

I bought the Abbeon from Elderly for $139 (http://elderly.com/accessories/items/HYGRO.htm). It looks great on my wall near my guitar cases. It consistently reads higher than my Planet Waves digital hygrometers. I always thought my room was under humidified until I got the Abbeon.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-03-2010, 04:30 PM
bobframe bobframe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 138
Default

I have grappled with the accuracy of hygrometers and frankly have concluded that pinpoint accuracy, for a guitar collector's purposes, is unimportant. The two things that are important is that the proper humidity range be maintained and that sudden changes be avoided.

I use two portable humidifiers with built in hygrometers and a small Planet Waves hygrometer. In my relatively small office, none of them agree within more than 4-8%, but as long as all three devices think the relative humidity is somewhere between 40% and 50%, then I'm cool with it.

I think trying to get an exact read on the RH is a fool's errand.
__________________
Taylor 854CE
Goodall-KCJ
Goodall-MP-14
J.Robertson-SJ20-SE
70's Gibson ES-175 SB
90's Gibson ES-295
Grestch 6196T Country Club
Gretsch 6120 SSL
D'Angelico NYL-2 (Reissue)
Don Grosh Retro Classic Sunburst
G&L ASAT Classic
G&L S-500
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-03-2010, 04:39 PM
deja deja is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobframe View Post
I have grappled with the accuracy of hygrometers and frankly have concluded that pinpoint accuracy, for a guitar collector's purposes, is unimportant. The two things that are important is that the proper humidity range be maintained and that sudden changes be avoided.

I use two portable humidifiers with built in hygrometers and a small Planet Waves hygrometer. In my relatively small office, none of them agree within more than 4-8%, but as long as all three devices think the relative humidity is somewhere between 40% and 50%, then I'm cool with it.

I think trying to get an exact read on the RH is a fool's errand.
I think this is good advice. If only I could convince my OCD self of such wisdom.
__________________
"It is impossible to imagine Goethe or Beethoven being good at billiards or golf." H. L. Mencken
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-03-2010, 05:34 PM
bobframe bobframe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja View Post
I think this is good advice. If only I could convince my OCD self of such wisdom.
Trust me, I did not come to this "sloppy thinking " readily. If I had it my way I'd have a hygrometer that was calibrated to within an inch of it's life.

AKA, I think it is just not necessary.

It reminds me of a woodworking class I took once. The instructor advised us that we could not be woodworkers without a bonafide straightedge. So, during the break I went into the woodworking store (Highland Hardware, Atlanta, GA... fabulous store BTW) and bought this 24" straightedge for about $50.00. I grimaced when paying, but thought I really needed to have it.

When I got back into the class I asked "So how do I tell if this thing is really straight?"

The instructor replied "You paid a lot of money for it didn't you?"

Lesson being, sometimes we want the assurance that we've bought ourselves a little hunk of "perfection", when a little hunk of "good enough" is all we really need.
__________________
Taylor 854CE
Goodall-KCJ
Goodall-MP-14
J.Robertson-SJ20-SE
70's Gibson ES-175 SB
90's Gibson ES-295
Grestch 6196T Country Club
Gretsch 6120 SSL
D'Angelico NYL-2 (Reissue)
Don Grosh Retro Classic Sunburst
G&L ASAT Classic
G&L S-500

Last edited by bobframe; 12-03-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-03-2010, 07:34 PM
deja deja is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobframe View Post
Trust me, I did not come to this "sloppy thinking " readily. If I had it my way I'd have a hygrometer that was calibrated to within an inch of it's life.

AKA, I think it is just not necessary.

It reminds me of a woodworking class I took once. The instructor advised us that we could not be woodworkers without a bonafide straightedge. So, during the break I went into the woodworking store (Highland Hardware, Atlanta, GA... fabulous store BTW) and bought this 24" straightedge for about $50.00. I grimaced when paying, but thought I really needed to have it.

When I got back into the class I asked "So how do I tell if this thing is really straight?"

The instructor replied "You paid a lot of money for it didn't you?"

Lesson being, sometimes we want the assurance that we've bought ourselves a little hunk of "perfection", when a little hunk of "good enough" is all we really need.


Nice!
__________________
"It is impossible to imagine Goethe or Beethoven being good at billiards or golf." H. L. Mencken
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Loading

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=