The Acoustic Guitar Forum  

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-10-2010, 03:18 PM

Default String spacing

just wondered what string spacing you all have at the nut. that's the string spacing itself, not the nut width.

I'm considering getting a nut totally re cut. I currently have 40mm spacing on my 48 mm nut. A little wide perhaps but helps with fingerstyle playing. however my other guitar is 38mm on 48mm nut, but its saddle width is too narrow. Just a thought. I'd be interested to see what you have, or what is standard. I asked Lakewood specifically to cut the 40mm spacing. Maybe it's a simple case of the grass is always greener.

Lakewood M32 custom
Yamaha FPX 300
Orpheus Valley (Kremona) Romida classical
The Aristone ( rare British guitar from 50's)
EKO 12 string
Epiphone Les Paul standard
Old 11-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Acoustic Guitar

I have 45 mm on the overall width of my current guitars (1-3/4", standard on many fingerstyle guitars in the U.S.)...but with a slightly narrow 37 mm as the E-to-E spread (center-to-center...or 1-15/32").

It's all about personal preferences, of course...

...and I am fond of saying that one plays the string-spacing (at the bridge and nut), and not the overall nut width...although fingerboard geometry *is* important.

I may go to 1-13/16" as the overall nut width on my next guitar (approx. 46 mm), but I will leave the E to E spacing the same (37 mm at the nut), as I like that width, but want more room between the E strings and the edges of the fingerboard.

Larry Pattis on Pandora!
My music on YouTube
LarryPattis.com

Guitars by Simon Fay

"The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance. ~ Will Durant

"That which you manifest is before you." ~ Garth Stein, "The Art of Racing in the Rain"
Old 11-10-2010, 07:25 PM

Thanks Larry. If you're playing a 45 mm nut with 37mm string spacing, that leaves (without taking into account half the thickness of top E and bottom E) 8mm room, ie 4mm at each end. Thats the same as me with my 48mm nut and 40mm spacing.

Lakewood M32 custom
Yamaha FPX 300
Orpheus Valley (Kremona) Romida classical
The Aristone ( rare British guitar from 50's)
EKO 12 string
Epiphone Les Paul standard
Old 11-10-2010, 08:07 PM
Acoustic Guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtrfinger View Post
Thanks Larry. If you're playing a 45 mm nut with 37mm string spacing, that leaves (without taking into account half the thickness of top E and bottom E) 8mm room, ie 4mm at each end. Thats the same as me with my 48mm nut and 40mm spacing.
...yes, but this is actually considered a narrow string spacing on a 45 mm width nut...Many builders go wider by a mm.

I personally want more room to the edges, without changing the string spacing...so any future custom guitars would leave the E to E spacing at 37, but go wider overall at the nut.

You're wanting to go to a wider E to E spacing, and of course this would be on a current guitar...a very different thing. You can do it, and the danger will be in getting the E strings too close to the edges. You can shift the overall spacing so that the low E is closer to the edge than the high E (while going to a wider spacing), but there are limits to this...and you'll have to have a new nut (or multiple nuts) made to discover what might be most comfortable for you.

Larry Pattis on Pandora!
My music on YouTube
LarryPattis.com

Guitars by Simon Fay

"The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance. ~ Will Durant

"That which you manifest is before you." ~ Garth Stein, "The Art of Racing in the Rain"
Old 11-10-2010, 08:25 PM

nut width - 1/8 to the center of the string from each edge

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion