The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 01:13 PM

Default Official Luthier's Forum Medium Jumbo

Thanks to Yamaha Junkie I'm about to embark on my first build and was considering the Official Luthier's Forum's plans for the Medium Jumbo. Has anyone ever built one or played a guitar that was built from these plans? How do they sound and feel?

I'm basically wondering how similar in tone and construction it is to the Taylor GS. My goal is to create a fingerstyle guitar with more ample bass than an OM and can handle some moderate strumming. I'm considering on using South American Mahogany for the back & sides and Western Red Cedar for the top.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:28 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Glad to help you out. Keep in mind folks, I only know enough to be dangerous but I have the tools and toys. So I am taking on the position of guide, not teacher!
Next time you are over we will pick out your wood. If you think you want to tackle making the neck we should find you the wood so it can settle in here as long as possible.
I am not sure if I have Western Red Cedar. I think I have "cedar". I'll wait for you to go through the stack
On the chance you want a Calamari Maple I can sell you that set. It's 3 dimensional x2. A real wow if you like the stuff. I ain't a 3d Maple guy.
That wood combo you are planning sure sounds like that McKnight we recorded you with . The one our buddy Grant bought.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:40 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Neil Did you see this Cuban Mahogany?
http://www.luthiersforum.com/forum/v...=10101&t=28376
Old 07-31-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Junkie View Post
Glad to help you out. Keep in mind folks, I only know enough to be dangerous but I have the tools and toys. So I am taking on the position of guide, not teacher!
Next time you are over we will pick out your wood. If you think you want to tackle making the neck we should find you the wood so it can settle in here as long as possible.
I am not sure if I have Western Red Cedar. I think I have "cedar". I'll wait for you to go through the stack
On the chance you want a Calamari Maple I can sell you that set. It's 3 dimensional x2. A real wow if you like the stuff. I ain't a 3d Maple guy.
That wood combo you are planning sure sounds like that McKnight we recorded you with . The one our buddy Grant bought.
I must admit that that McKnight did have a nice tone but I really like the tonal balance of the Taylor GS and R Taylor Style 1. Next time I'm at Empire I'll have to take a closer look at them, particularly the GS5.

I've been looking online for plans of the GS and they're not available but by looking at the specs on Taylor's site and the basic specs for the OLF MJ plans on stewmac.com I see that they're roughly the same size in the lower bout. The GS is a little deeper and the waist doesn't appear to be a slim though so it might be a tad larger overall.

BTW, no can do on the maple or than Cuban mahogany. We'll talk about woods and necks next time I see you. Once that's settled and I have a set of plans to work from then we'll do an official kick off.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:26 AM

Originally posted by YJ in another thread:
Quote:
Next time you are over I will send you home with the Alex Willis (?) Guitar building book. It will give you some "flow" idea.
I did some looking into that book. No way I'm doing a Spanish heel. Would you (or anybody else here) recommend this book - at least as a backup?

Guitarmaking: Tradition and Technology: A Complete Reference for the Design & Construction of the Steel-String Folk Guitar & the Classical Guitar (Guitar Reference) [Paperback]
Jonathan Natelson (Author), William Cumpiano (Author)
Old 08-01-2010, 09:11 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
Originally posted by YJ in another thread:

I did some looking into that book. No way I'm doing a Spanish heel. Would you (or anybody else here) recommend this book - at least as a backup?

Guitarmaking: Tradition and Technology: A Complete Reference for the Design & Construction of the Steel-String Folk Guitar & the Classical Guitar (Guitar Reference) [Paperback]
Jonathan Natelson (Author), William Cumpiano (Author)
I have it. Its the bible of guitar building. Some of the methods are dated. But, most everything you need to know is in it. The book I had mentioned (Alex Willis) is packed with pictures, provides the basics. The Guitar making book is much more detailed and is easy for me to glaze over.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:39 AM

Oh, it's got PICTURES!!! Well, why didn't you say so? I like pretty pictures! ;o)

BTW, how's the flooring coming along? I'm trying to whittle away at the honey do list but I can't even manage to look busy. :O)
Old 08-01-2010, 10:05 PM

I have built three of the OLF MJ's All have been very successful, its my personal favorite shape. One in Ziricote and Adi, one in Brazilian and Lutz, and one in Tasmanian Tiger Myrtle and Adi. If you want some pictures and a sound clip just PM me.
Highly recommended!
Mikey

Last edited by mhammond; 08-01-2010 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Added more info
Old 08-01-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhammond View Post
I have built three of the OLF MJ's All have been very successful, its my personal favorite shape. One in Ziricote and Adi, one in Brazilian and Lutz, and one in Tasmanian Tiger Myrtle and Adi. If you want some pictures and a sound clip just PM me.
Highly recommended!
Mikey
Please, by all means! I imagine that the BRW/Lutz just sings. I have experience with a similarly-configured custom: Tim McKnight's "Diamond" guitar which is also a medium-sized jumbo (though IIRC the top is aged Sitka) and it just rings on and on with ample bass and crystalline trebles. I'm shooting for a "warmer" treble tone with clearer definition but at the same time I still want ample bass.

BTW, I haven't purchased the plans yet but am I correct in assuming that the braces are 5/8"? I'm wondering if attempting 1/4" braces (I love them on the Martin HD-35) would be too ambitious for a first build or if I should just stick to the specs and just take my chances by working with the cedar top?
Old 08-02-2010, 09:53 PM

I think you mean 5/16" braces and yes I started out with them per plan dimensions widthwise. However, I strongly triangulate my braces and leave them a smidge taller than plans to start. The tops are thinner if the individual piece will allow and the braces are stiffer ( ala Somogyi), this seems to be working out for me. I also used the radial back bracing on the two best ones (maybe a coincidence, maybe not)
Mikey
Old 08-02-2010, 10:47 PM

This is all very new to me but now I'm really starting to get intrigued - and maybe a little overwhelmed. I really should order those plans and get some reading in. I hope I can still get some time in playing my guitars though!
Old 08-03-2010, 12:25 AM
Me

I have built several of the OLF SJ's. It is a nice design. I have heard good things about the MJ.
Your wood choices are good. If you want bass, you'll need to have a top that moves well. You will learn how to do that with experience. Cedar naturally wants to have a nice bass response, but it needs to be able to move in order to do that. You can get great bass from an OM if you know what you are doing.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:17 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
Oh, it's got PICTURES!!! Well, why didn't you say so? I like pretty pictures! ;o)

BTW, how's the flooring coming along? I'm trying to whittle away at the honey do list but I can't even manage to look busy. :O)
The floor. Yikes. I scraped and cleaned the floors for 5 hours yesterday. I am using my supply of guitar epoxy on the seams today. I made a pile of Walnut inserts. Then decided the Chestnut was too un-even to put them in. I'm going to mix the Epoxy with Grit Laskins Black dye (I am 99% sure it's copier toner lol).
You've gotten a pile of thumbs up on the Plans-get them guy.
I'm glad you are not doing 5/8" braces lol. Over tall braces and thin top sounds familiar to me.........
Heads filling up? Wait till you are sitting at a traffic light mumbling to yourself about neck angles and such lol
Old 08-03-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Junkie View Post
The floor. Yikes. I scraped and cleaned the floors for 5 hours yesterday. I am using my supply of guitar epoxy on the seams today. I made a pile of Walnut inserts. Then decided the Chestnut was too un-even to put them in. I'm going to mix the Epoxy with Grit Laskins Black dye (I am 99% sure it's copier toner lol).
You've gotten a pile of thumbs up on the Plans-get them guy.
I'm glad you are not doing 5/8" braces lol. Over tall braces and thin top sounds familiar to me.........
Heads filling up? Wait till you are sitting at a traffic light mumbling to yourself about neck angles and such lol
LOL, John, the only thing going through my head at the traffic light is what's coming out of my mouth and it's usually stuff like "get back in your chair" and "don't unbuckle your seat belt" and "keep your pants on" and "don't pee on your brother!"

As for the braces, hey we got time so let's play around. Why not? How many times did you rebrace your first build? Voicing is gonna be a big part of it anyway. I know it's gonna be a cedar top and all but I don't want the tap tone to be a complete dull thud. If I can eke out a little sustain I'll be happy.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:33 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

I don't think there was anything wrong with my first set of braces . I think Tim just does that to people that bug him with Luthier Questions

When you start thinking 1/100's of an inch you won't even notice the Tyson Holyfield thing going on in the back seat.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair