The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Old 05-08-2010, 03:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default *New Pictures* Larrivee 00 Koa Slothead Short Scale from LA Guitar Sales

Hi folks,

Seeing as how all but one of the custom order 00-03R's have been sold I think it's time to announce another custom for the more discriminating guitar enthusiasts. We just ordered a total of five Larrivee Koa 00's with never before done short scale and slot-head. (I would have ordered ten of these but Jean Larrivee had only enough Koa for five guitars) After some input from my rep and Jean Larrivee himself, here are the specs for this custom:

Body length 19-3/8
Upper bout 10-1/8
Lower bout 14-1/8
Nut width 1-3/4
Depth at butt 4-1/4
Depth at neck 3-3/8
Scale length 24-3/4
12 fret neck
Rosewood binding
Koa back and sides
Master Grade Sitka Spruce top (hand picked by Jean Larrivee for this project)
Slotted headstock (never done before with short scale)
No pickguard will be installed but it will be put in the case

As stated above, there will be a total of five guitars, three built to 9-series specs and two with 10-series appointments. All the materials fr these guitars have been hand selected by Jean himself who will oversee the build in their Canadian facility.

Suggested retail and MAP prices are as follows but AGF members should contact me for the discount price.

00-09SH Koa Custom List: $4538.00 - MAP: $3400
00-10SH Koa Custom List: $5343.00 - MAP: $4000

If either of these models interest you please let me know as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Ted

Representing: Bedell - Breedlove - Blackbird - Composite Acoustics - Cordoba - Eastman - Guild - Journey - McPherson Carbon Fiber - Larrivee - Lowden - Martin - Rainsong - Santa Cruz - Taylor

Last edited by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales; 05-22-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:46 PM

So, Larrivee is building the higher end guitars in Canada again. There has been some speculation about this on the Larrivee forum. What's going on in the California plant?

BTW, I just got pricing on a custom Martin 00-28VS Koa which is similar to your 09 guitar listed here and the list will be $6700. The 10 series equivalent would be a custom Martin 00-42VS in Koa which would list for $8500. In addition I was told by several builders that nicer Koa is now at Brazilian rosewood prices and getting very hard to get. Is it time to hold on to my Koa guitars?
Old 05-09-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petelor View Post
So, Larrivee is building the higher end guitars in Canada again. There has been some speculation about this on the Larrivee forum. What's going on in the California plant?

BTW, I just got pricing on a custom Martin 00-28VS Koa which is similar to your 09 guitar listed here and the list will be $6700. The 10 series equivalent would be a custom Martin 00-42VS in Koa which would list for $8500. In addition I was told by several builders that nicer Koa is now at Brazilian rosewood prices and getting very hard to get. Is it time to hold on to my Koa guitars?
Oxnard plant is making electrics and mandolins for the next while.

And as usual, Larrivee offers great guitars at incredible prices.
Martin '11 D Mahogany (FSC) Golden Era type
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
Yamaha '72 G-170A (Japanese solid top)
Garcia '67 Model 3
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
Old 05-10-2010, 10:32 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cke View Post
Oxnard plant is making electrics and mandolins for the next while.

And as usual, Larrivee offers great guitars at incredible prices.
Correct on both counts.

Representing: Bedell - Breedlove - Blackbird - Composite Acoustics - Cordoba - Eastman - Guild - Journey - McPherson Carbon Fiber - Larrivee - Lowden - Martin - Rainsong - Santa Cruz - Taylor
Old 05-10-2010, 04:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:

Sorry I forgot to respond to this.

As was already pointed out, Larrivee acoustic production is now back in Canada which will mean some additional fees for the higher end models with exotic woods and inlays. Expect Larrivee list prices to go up a bit next year. As for Koa prices, yes, higher grade Koa has been at or near Brazilian Rosewood prices for years but most builders didn't think they could pass on the cost. Martin was the first to charge $2000 extra for it as far as I know but you will see Koa guitars get more and more expensive as supplies run lower.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:15 AM

I read somewhere that the plain Koa like the stuff Taylor uses on their lower priced limiteds is more stable, and that the really expensive curly grain pieces can crack. Any info on that?
Old 05-12-2010, 09:14 AM

Nice Tarpman!!! I have no money to buy anymore guitars for the foreseeable future but there 5 happy koa fans out there that will get one nice instrument!

I've become a big fan of Larrivee over the last 5-6 years. They seem to be getting better all the time. I was lucky enough to get one of the Larrivee Forum III 12 fret LS-03 and just a few weeks ago, my Forum IV 00-03MT arrived.

Cheers on getting these made.

My Spotify page
https://open.spotify.com/user/128659...a6uScbcESFYqoH

Free Tabs for some of my tunes
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs...rbide_tabs.htm
Old 05-12-2010, 10:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Denis, congrats on some nice Larrivee's, especially that LS. I actually meant to keep one of the ones we had in stock but spaced it out.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpman View Post
Hi Denis, congrats on some nice Larrivee's, especially that LS. I actually meant to keep one of the ones we had in stock but spaced it out.
Was it a 12 fret LS with Italian spruce and mahogany b/s? Mine was just amazing right out of the gate but it just kept getting better. I finally brought it in for a bone saddle and a set up. I've had it for a year! Once the 00-03MT arrived, I finally had a second guitar!

My Spotify page

Old 05-13-2010, 03:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
Was it a 12 fret LS with Italian spruce and mahogany b/s? Mine was just amazing right out of the gate but it just kept getting better. I finally brought it in for a bone saddle and a set up. I've had it for a year! Once the 00-03MT arrived, I finally had a second guitar!
The limited LS-03's we had were built with Sitka Spruce. I didn't know they built any with Italian Spruce. Either way it was a great little guitar.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
How did the bone saddle change it? I have a 00-03 I was thinking of moding..
Old 05-16-2010, 12:34 AM

I had a bone nut and saddle installed on my 00-03 and found no noticeable change in tone. Luckily I liked the tone just fine before the "upgrade". Oh well, it's a nice touch.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
How did the bone saddle change it? I have a 00-03 I was thinking of moding..
Well, the 00-03MT came with the bone nut and saddle and the LS is still at the shop. And I'm looking forward to getting it back!

My Spotify page

Old 05-22-2010, 04:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Just got an update on these customs from Matthew Larrivee:

Hi guys,

Matt here from Larrivee Guitars. I thought you might want to see some pictures of the 5 custom OO’s you have on order. Feel free to use these how you wish. I’ll try to remember to take some additional pictures as they get closer to the end of the line. Jean and I have been working very diligently to make these guitars in a timely fashion for you. Since almost all of the parts are custom, these are really going to be “Larrivee” made guitars – I.e. a lot of work by Jean and I.

Have a great day, and let us know if there is anything we can ever do for you,

Matt Larrivee.

http://www.laguitarsales.com/pages/4...vee_00_Koa.htm

Old 05-24-2010, 08:06 AM

Looks like these ae going to be really SPECIAL forum guitars. I look foward to hearing the reveiws about them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace