The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-15-2011, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlingFish View Post
Shun, congratulations on completing your guitar!

With respect, and to neither support nor contradict the post you're responding to, your statement makes little sense. All wood species react to humidity changes to a greater or lesser degree whether the products made from it live at home or abroad. The fact that Malaysia experiences high RH throughout the year is immaterial - it's the degree to which humidity fluctuates and the resulting dimensional changes in the instrument that are the enemy.
Hey pete thanks! It was fun. Hey you're probably right, I'm a player not a guitar builder, I don't know much about humidity and luthiery. But whatever it is, my post was a response to Jeff's workshop being out in the open.. I haven't had any issues with his guitars, and people who have brought his guitars back to the states with them, don't have issues too. So not saying you're wrong or anything, just talk out of my experiences with Jeff's guitars
Old 06-15-2011, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Beautiful guitar! 5 days seems like a really short period of time, do you mind telling us a little more about the process?
Hi,
The OP said
Quote:
In about 5 days I had completed my entire guitar body (gluing, bracing, binding etc.) and very soon it was ready for spraying!
I'm currently doing something similar with a local luthier (build thread in Build and Repair). To date I've logged about 30 hours in the workshop (equivalent to 3-4 days depending on how many hours you feel like doing in a day). At this stage I have...
  • body in mould, top on, will close the box in the next session
  • neck roughed out, with headplate glued on

So, after the equivalent of 5 full days, I would expect to have the box closed and bound, and a bit more work on the neck during drying times, so not a million miles away from the OP.

I expect quite some additional time before being ready for spraying though - fingerboard, neck carve, dovetail etc. The luthier estimates 100-150 hrs for a student to complete an acoustic with him, although this is the first time he's done this so his estimate will be refined as we go along. Also depends on the students aptitude for the work of course.

Also, we're making fairly simple no-frills guitars to start with, to reinforce the basics. I can't imagine tackling bevels, scoop cutaways, fancy inlays etc on my first build - respect!

Drew
Old 06-15-2011, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shun View Post
Yes, many people learned building from him but none of them are able to make a guitar....

I bought guitar from him (us$xxxx), he is irresponsible person, the neck , fingerboard and body is not lined up on the centre line a lot. his workshop is completely opened without any temperture or humidity control, so called martime climate mother nature control, my guitar top cracked after 18 months, asking for rebuilt but no reply.... totally irresponsible and shameless !!

Please ignore this post. I'm a personal friend of Jeff's, and I know for a fact, he would never not reply IF anything was spoilt. All this humidity/temperature control is complete nonsense. The monkeypod wood is from malaysia itself and therefore is already in its home conditions. These are extremely strong trees, they go through thunderstorms and extreme heat.
And by the way, Every single person who has gone to his building course goes home with a guitar. It is a crash course in guitar making. If you want to be a luthier, there is a much longer road. No shortcuts. And jeff has travelled that long road.
Dear Pete,

Nice to see you here. Cheers.

Hi dlowry,

Shun isn't the only the who has benefited from this guitar building experiences. I am one of the many, and a very happy one. If you can afford the time, here is the link to my building thread: http://www.guitar4christ.com/index.p...p&f=25&t=35396

Last edited by cadam5150; 06-15-2011 at 07:33 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:48 AM

Shun/Adam

I'm now scratching my head and wondering why it takes me many months to complete a guitar!
Old 06-15-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlingFish View Post
Shun/Adam

I'm now scratching my head and wondering why it takes me many months to complete a guitar!
Hey Pete,

Do you know the owner of this: http://valleysguitars.com/?

We were classmates then ... he will be able to not only tell but show you ...
Old 06-16-2011, 10:10 PM

For those who will be attending Montreal Guitar Show in Jul 2011, do look out for Jeff's creation.

Here are the pictures,

Old 06-24-2011, 09:26 AM

Another guitar built for the Montreal Guitar Show.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:39 AM

Adam, thanks for posting - they're certainly works of art!
Old 08-03-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadam5150 View Post
For those who will be attending Montreal Guitar Show in Jul 2011, do look out for Jeff's creation.

Here are the pictures,

The above wonderful guitar was exhibited at the GAL 2011 show. Being the first of its kind, Jeff has certain sentimental attachments to it. However it was finally sold to a deserving gentleman. What a sweet ending.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:03 AM

I'm glad I got to see that in person. Beautiful instrument.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:15 PM

Default Who you call....

Hey, Adam, who you callin' deserving? Just blessed, my friend!
Collings SJ Braz/Ger, 000-42Koa, UC3 Killer Koa
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 06-29-2014, 06:17 PM

Sounds like a great experience! How long did you spend there, start to finish?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop