The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-25-2010, 07:51 AM

Default Goodall Crossovers

Any owners/players on this forum? Or maybe you are working towards owning one someday. Have you been fortunate enough to audition one?
Old 03-25-2010, 07:58 AM

I've played two over the years, have never owned one. Decent guitars, but IMHO they're overpriced and sonically unremarkable.

Here's my sweeping generalization regarding crossover nylons...the really great ones I've played and owned were built by folks who primarily build classical guitars. The crossovers I've played from primarily steel-string builders seem to be lacking in balance, tone, and sometimes they feel "over-built" and heavy. Nylon strings don't drive as much energy to the top and the overall build needs to be as light as possible.

Just one man's opinion....
Old 03-25-2010, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Building a classical or crossover guitar for a steel string builder is a real departure from what they are used to doing. Steel strings are built not to cave in from string tension, classical and crossover guitars are so much lighter and braced so differently, it presents a challenge to steel stringers not to overbuild them. Factory crossovers are notoriously overbuilt. I tried a couple of Taylors in the $1500 to $2000 range that were bricks. They looked nice though!

That's not to say that hand builders or even factories can't do it, and some few have excelled at it, but they have educated themselves to the process.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:14 AM

I looked at the Cervantes, I liked it OK. To my ear it was much better than the Taylors.

I was fortunate enough to stumble across a used nylon string built by Brian Applegate for only slightly more. It is sonically a much better guitar than any of the others I have played, without getting very expensive.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 03-25-2010, 09:19 AM

I usually prefer standard classicals to the crossover instruments, but the Goodall I played at Buffalo Bros. a few years ago was probably the best crossover I've played. The price was, however, astronomical.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
Old 03-25-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk View Post

I was fortunate enough to stumble across a used nylon string built by Brian Applegate for only slightly more. It is sonically a much better guitar than any of the others I have played, without getting very expensive.

Jack
I would love to see some pics of your Applegate. Any exprience with a Goodall Crossover?
Old 03-25-2010, 09:28 AM

Yes Aaron, I agree 100% about the price of the Goodalls. Used is probably the only way I would ever consider one. Used still too much for what you get.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:28 AM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk View Post
I looked at the Cervantes, I liked it OK. To my ear it was much better than the Taylors.

Jack
If you'd ever consider selling the Applegate, please let me know!
Old 03-30-2010, 01:09 AM
Charter Member

I met James Goodall when he lived in Hawaii. He is a very nice person. I believed he moved to California now (are we talking about the same Goodall?). I only played the steel strings. They were very good at that time....
Old 03-30-2010, 08:27 AM

I had a Taylor nylon for three years that was a good guitar, but my current crossover ( a new Cordoba GK Studio) costs 70% less and, in all honesty, sounds better. Therefore I second the opinion that the best crossovers are made by classical guitar brands.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:16 PM

What defines a crossover? Is it a nylon classic with a pickup, or what?

TIA
Old 03-09-2014, 07:18 AM

crossover = narrower nut, a fingerboard with a radius (and not flat like traditional classicals), a thin neck profile probably, cutaway, and yea maybe a pickup.. sort of a classical built with acoustic players in mind, perhaps more modern.

I thought about buying a crossover but in the end opted for a traditional classical, bought a loriente sofia and could not be happier. If I would buy a crossover anyway, it would be a cervantes definitely.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyc View Post
What defines a crossover? Is it a nylon classic with a pickup, or what?

TIA
From my website crossover guitar page:

Crossover Guitar

The sweet and complex tone of a traditionally constructed classical guitar combined with the “soft velvet feel” of nylon are the main factors that attract those who are more familiar with steel to consider "crossover guitar", loosely defined as being constructed in a similar fashion to a standard classical guitar but incorporating a few unique defining characteristics borrowed from it's steel-strung brethren:

1. Narrower fretboard... The most-often cited nut width is 48mm, or 1-7/8".

2. Radiused fretboard... Crossover fretboards commonly use a 16" radius.

3. Adjustable truss rod... Crossovers often sport an adjustable truss rod, not commonly found on classical guitars. With emphasis placed on ease of play the adjustable rod facilitates the slight neck relief (forward bow) that contributes greatly to low action with minimal string buzz. It IS easier to drive a string hard enough to create slight buzz on the frets, but it comes with the territory when playing nylon, and is even considered quite acceptable for styles such as flamenco. A slightly less heavy-handed technique will reward the crossover player with buzz-free complexity of tone coupled with the “soft velvet feel” of nylon.

4. Hard tension strings... Crossovers are usually fitted with hard tension strings which may or may not have much of an effect on sound, but are used to create the string "feel" that steel string players will be more comfortable with. Excessive neck bow is a concern for nylon players when using hard tension strings, but the adjustable truss rod cited above makes the use of hard tension strings much less problematic. Most modern builders of crossovers assume players will be using hard tension strings and factor that into the design process.
Beyond the basics

Other design considerations such as a cutaway, electronics, wood types, shorter than "normal" scale length, side dots (a big YES for me...), etc. can be used to tailor the instrument for a particular desired use or personal preference.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Toni, didn't you have a Cervantes in the recent past?
Old 03-10-2014, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

I have a Taylor crossover (512ce-N) and am disappointed in it for all the reasons stated above. It is heavy and rather muted when un-plugged. I think Taylor assumes most buyers are going to amplify so they let the electronics provide volume. I've also been disappointed in the plugged in sound. It's just not "acoustic" sounding, rather it sounds amplified.

All this has me looking at other guitars, particularly with 2" nut widths which seem to be most comfortable for my arthritic hands. In my favorite guitar store a week or so ago I came across a nylon stringed instrument with a 2" nut width that looked nice. I took it down and played some and found it delightful. Easy to play and with a beautiful, rich sound. Only after being completely won over by it did I look inside at the label and the price tag hanging from the headstock.

Thank goodness I didn't drop it. A Goodall for only $7650. I carefully wiped off my lowly fingerprints and reverently hung it back on the wall. Looking on the Goodall website later I found it was what he calls his crossover.

Although I was totally impressed by the Goodall's sound and playability I'll never own one. Anyone want to buy a Taylor to play plugged in?

Dave

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical