The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-24-2010, 04:14 PM

Default The Techniques in the Music

Laurindo Almeida has long been a favorite of mine. He played and wrote classical, jazz, bossa nova, and pop tunes and movie soundtracks and backed many great singers from the 1940's thru the 1980's. He used all the techniques associated with classical guitar playing. I think his arrangement of this Jobim tune with the Modern Jazz Quartet used a vast number of them, all in wonderful service to the music. Rapid arpeggios, tremolo, glissandos, classical vibrato, arpeggiated chords, chord melody, rasgueados, chunking chords comp style, rest strokes, fast two finger (i,m) scales. Really fun to watch and hear a master like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yix7_fnhshk

How about other tunes that use classical guitar technique, or a technique that may be more associated with nylon strings than steel strings, Andres Segovia to Jerry Reed? What does it for you?
Old 03-24-2010, 04:36 PM

Not waiting for responses, (Ha), I just watched another rendition of "One Note Samba" by a contemporary and friend of Laurindo's, Baden Powell. His aggressive style is very uncommon, and it set him apart from other Brazilian music guitarists. I read that he held the guitar so tightly that it caused rib damage. (His ribs, not the guitar's.)

Pretty cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge8pB...eature=related
Old 03-24-2010, 04:46 PM
Humanist

Well, David, I'll pull up a chair and mention the obvious...Pierre Bensusan's work is overflowing with rather serious right and left hand technical expertise, much of which relates to the "classical" approach...and with Pierre, IMO, the technique is there for the sake of bringing the music to the pinnacle of expression, rather than for technique's sake.

Then there's my buddy McMeen. El does the same, with less flash, but all the heart. Taking the CGDGAD tuning to new heights, and showering us with gorgeous, lyrical fingerstyle renditions of the blind Turough O'Carolan harp pieces and much, much more from the Celtic tradition and beyond...

Michael Chapdelaine is the other Master I would point to, and of course his background is diverse, but mainly made a name for himself in the Classical world...right up until he discovered contemporary fingerstyle guitar, and then he went on a tear that is continuing to amaze us mere mortals!

Bravo to all three of these players for raising the bar in three somewhat different areas of the steel-string world.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 03-24-2010, 04:50 PM

I just sat front row center for Earl Klugh this past saturday night @ DC's Blues Alley Jazz Supper Club. I love what Earl does with the nylon string guitar. My husband and I talked with him after the show. Very nice guy. Even met his mother. We talked guitars. He was playing a brazillian/cedar Paul McGill.

Muriel Anderson, another Paul McGill player, is also a favorite nylon string player of mine. I also love the picking tone that Willie Nelson gets from his Martin N-20 Classical. Willie's style is all his own.

Last edited by Play2PraiseHim; 03-24-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2PraiseHim View Post
I just sat front row center for Earl Klugh this past saturday night @ DC's Blues Alley Jazz Supper Club. I love what Earl does with the nylon string guitar. My husband and I talked with him after the show. Very nice guy. Even met his mother. We talked guitars. He was playing a brazillian/cedar Paul McGill.
Very cool! I courted (that's like dating, but with intent, and it dates me, I guess) my 2nd wife to Earl's music. I love his tone.

Earl's the reason I own the classical I do. He played the two I had in mind, since he lives in Detroit where they were, and recommended one. I bought it on his word in 1996. I still love it!
Old 03-24-2010, 04:59 PM

Larry,

Thanks for your input. Those 3 guys are jaw dropping, in different ways, and all use a classical influenced technique. Very cool!
Old 03-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hilyard View Post
Larry,

Thanks for your input. Those 3 guys are jaw dropping, in different ways, and all use a classical influenced technique. Very cool!
Yes, and perhaps I should mention our mutual friend, Dorian Michael.

While Dorian has a huge Blues background, electric & otherwise, when he gets into his original compositions, or things like his arrangement of the Southwind, well, he's pure classical with his right hand technique. Probably not too many rest-strokes, but everything else is right there with his talented right hand....

Old 03-24-2010, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Can Paco be mentioned here too?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16i4OXJTPW8

I think this and all his other works are on the edge of what you can believe...
Old 03-24-2010, 05:30 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjonnie1 View Post
Can Paco be mentioned here too?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16i4OXJTPW8

I think this and all his other works are on the edge of what you can believe...
Everything about de Lucia is jaw-droppingly fabulous. Any "top-shelf musician" conversation with guitarists should include Paco!

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 03-24-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:58 PM

Thanks for the Laurindo Almeida tip David, amazing! He didn't seem to have much fingernail above the flesh.
I was going to mention El, but Larry beat me to it. Larry's comments on El are spot on IMO, I just love his playing. As for Paco, WOW... I mean is it possible? Think we can include Larry Pattis also! "Waltzing Matilda" is beyond beautiful!

Last edited by mesa; 03-24-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:12 PM

I know Andrew York's "Skerries" is an amazing tune, but I don't think its on any of his CD's. I have it on a fingerstyle guitar CD.

I found it here.... bottom left "two pieces by Andrew York" click on the player

http://www.dailyguitars.com/DailyCla...undSamples.htm

Last edited by mesa; 03-24-2010 at 06:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-24-2010, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Cool

Yeah David, Thanks! That was cool I haven't listened to either Laurindo or Baden for awhile. I met Laurindo back in the 80's when he stayed at our house, When he was here in town doing a festival with the L.A Four that my dad was producing. He couldn't have been a nicer more elequent man..And what a talent!! My wife's from Brasil so I've been over there alot. I usually take my Rick Turner RN-Nylon, That's perfect to travel with and sounds fantastic plugged in.The players I've met and played with there could not be nicer and more giving..especially to a non-countryman, I guess it helps that I'm married to a brasileira, and can now speak portuguese pretty well! And believe me there' no shortage of guitar talent down there! For me I first fell in love with the music of brasil thru Charlie Byrd, Laurindo, Baden, And of course the beautiful and treasured music of Antonio Carlos Jobim.."The girl from Ipanema" et all..Tudo Bom!!
Lowden'87 L27FC Taylors’93 Kottke’94 910’82 855c(flor)Harp’19 Emerald Synergy (koa)’17 Doerr Solace select’12 Carmel OM ‘11 SCGC-FS Nylon:Sand,Cervantes.WeissSlide,Gypsy Elecs:Collings Eastside.Turners:RN6,RS6’59335Hist:Strat,Tele,Bass-Lakland,Fender Fretless.Amps:Princeton,Calif Blonde/xcab,Vox,Uke,Accordian,misc devices
Old 03-24-2010, 06:24 PM

anything that willie nelson plays

Epiphone EJ-200
Cordoba Classical
Martin D-15
Fender Tele
Old 03-24-2010, 06:31 PM

Default Raphael Rabello

...Having spent a good deal of time in Brazil years ago, I was fortunate to stumble upon the genius of Raphael Rabello. He tragically died at the age of 32, but what an amazing player. He was mostly known for the Brazilian choros style of music. Luiza....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZUPPLDhGcY
Old 03-24-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Everything about de Lucia is jaw-droppingly fabulous. I think David is talking about steel-string players that use classical techniques, but any top-shelf musician conversation about guitarists should include Paco, regardless of instrument choice!
Actually, that's not what I was after, Larry, but any and all discussion about technique is just fine. My intent, which wasn't stated very clearly, was to seek out technique that's more common on nylon strings than steel strings. Things like vibrato that creates a shift by moving the hand/finger up and down the length of the fingerboard, rather than width wise, which is more common on steel strings. Of course it's used on both, but width wise vibrato is much less common in classical guitar technique. Tremolo, rasgueado and the rest stroke are other examples.

To another extreme, Jerry Reed's "claw" style of playing was created on a nylon string and sounds a lot different on steel strings.

All discussion is good, though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical