The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-24-2010, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Post C. Fox Nylons ( Charles Fox)

Anybody ever play one of his Nylon Instruments? Specifically his 'Napa" series guitars. I've heard good things about this innovative and influential luthier
Formally based in Northern California, Now building in Portland Oregon. Any imput/info would be appreciated! thanks..
Lowden'87 L27FC Taylors’93 Kottke’94 910’82 855c(flor)Harp’19 Emerald Synergy (koa)’17 Doerr Solace select’12 Carmel OM ‘11 SCGC-FS Nylon:Sand,Cervantes.WeissSlide,Gypsy Elecs:Collings Eastside.Turners:RN6,RS6’59335Hist:Strat,Tele,Bass-Lakland,Fender Fretless.Amps:Princeton,Calif Blonde/xcab,Vox,Uke,Accordian,misc devices
Old 03-24-2010, 02:18 PM

I've not played any of Charles' guitars, steel or nylon string, but have admired them at several Healdsburg Guitar Festivals. Gorgeous creations. He has great ideas and builds striking looking guitars.

Good Luck.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:25 PM

I think Kent Chasson one of the AGF sponsors may know something about his guitars.

http://www.chassonguitars.com/bio.html
Old 04-01-2010, 06:25 PM

I own a C Fox DX dread -and it is an outstanding guitar -not as bassy as a Martin but has a very beautiful tone -very top end build , top end materials- more like my '71 Guild D-55 - a bit on the heavey side - but i believe the weight is intended to give it the sound it has .Their a very unusual guitar - and im very happy with it -but Im not sure what a Nylon string model would sound like .i believe charles fox made around 800 guitars total in his small company and went out of business in either '01 0r '02-he is quite possibly one of the worlds most respected luthiers ( I'm not kidding ) many of todays builders have learned from Charles their craft -it would be very interesting to find out more-please keep in touch if you acquire one- C Fox guitars are not common because of the low build number - Tony
Old 04-02-2010, 04:53 PM

We have a Cfox Napa Small Jumbo Cedar/Indian rosewood and it is superb - particularly the bass- low mids.

In the past year we went to Rudy's and Mandolin Bros to check out a bunch of steel string cedar Lowdens and preferred the Fox to all of them.

We recently added a wonderful Goodall Grand Concert to the stable and if anything it increased our admiration of the Napa.

If only I could find a cutaway version of the same guitar....

Almost bought one of his nylons but waited too long...ouch.

Last edited by raregroove; 04-02-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Cool

Cool! Yes they are outstanding instruments! Things didn't work out with his company up north.. But It's nice to know he was able to regroup and is now back at work on his own in Portland. He's prices these days are no where close to his earlier works. i hope to have that classical by the end of the month. I was talking to a guy at Guitar Center, Who mentioned they had this really nice classical made by a guy named Fox, I knew who he was from the days when Buffalo Bros carried his instruments. The minute I played it I knew it was a very special classical. I e-mailed Charles who was very nice to give me some info on it. It seems to have a spruce top, which many of you know is somewhat unusual for a classical instrument. The volume on this instrument really blew me away! I'll chime in more once it's in hand...Peace
Lowden'87 L27FC Taylors’93 Kottke’94 910’82 855c(flor)Harp’19 Emerald Synergy (koa)’17 Doerr Solace select’12 Carmel OM ‘11 SCGC-FS Nylon:Sand,Cervantes.WeissSlide,Gypsy Elecs:Collings Eastside.Turners:RN6,RS6’59335Hist:Strat,Tele,Bass-Lakland,Fender Fretless.Amps:Princeton,Calif Blonde/xcab,Vox,Uke,Accordian,misc devices
Old 04-02-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1after909 View Post
Cool! Yes they are outstanding instruments! Things didn't work out with his company up north.. But It's nice to know he was able to regroup and is now back at work on his own in Portland. He's prices these days are no where close to his earlier works. i hope to have that classical by the end of the month. I was talking to a guy at Guitar Center, Who mentioned they had this really nice classical made by a guy named Fox, I knew who he was from the days when Buffalo Bros carried his instruments. The minute I played it I knew it was a very special classical. I e-mailed Charles who was very nice to give me some info on it. It seems to have a spruce top, which many of you know is somewhat unusual for a classical instrument. The volume on this instrument really blew me away! I'll chime in more once it's in hand...Peace
most of the C Fox's out their, are where you live in California ( lucky dog) not too many made it to the east coast and I found mine kinda by dumb luck -it is a bit tempermental - but most top end guitar are a bit of that ( kind of a its alive thing ) their is a bit of info on Frets.com - concerning the company he started out in hearldsburg CA -his prices are way up their for his hand builts , believe me -thou its a small company build -it plays like it left the masters hands ! - at times it has its own mind -

Last edited by Tony Burns; 04-02-2010 at 09:23 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical