The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Old 01-31-2010, 04:41 AM

Default Michael Rowan "Cimarron"

First, let me introduce myself. I go by "RCE" and opened a small, boutique type guitar shop called "Re-Tunes" about 8 months ago. The shop is really a hobby more than a business and has become a popular trading post for higher-end guitars and gear on the south shore of MA.

I take trade-ins and offer high quality and sometimes rare or unusual guitars for sale. I try to make pricing as attractive as possible. The goal of the shop isn't to make big profits, but has to make a modest return to help pay the rent and utilities.

Here's my first offering to the AGF group:

It's a custom, Michael Rowan "Cimarron" acoustic electric, built around 2001 or 2002. It was purchased by a master luthier for his personal collection, carefully stored and very rarely played. It is in flawless, mint condition and has a unique, warm acoustic sound. Tone and volume knobs are located on either side of the bridge. Custom case is included, of course.

I have it listed at the shop for $2,199. AGF member price is an even $2000
Shipping is $46.00. (USA CONUS only).

Link to pictures and info for the Rowan is:
http://www.re-tunes.net/rowanpic.html

Interested members may contact me regarding this Custom Rowan at:
[email protected]

Thanks and pleased to be a sponsor of The Acoustic Guitar Forum!

RCE
Re-Tunes
Old 01-31-2010, 05:52 AM

Welcome aboard RCE and Re-Tunes!

Fellow members, RCE is a very good friend of mine and one of most generous people I've ever met. I urge all of the members in the Massachusetts area to stop by the shop. He has some really cool guitars, not at all like a guitar center.

RickC
Old 01-31-2010, 10:05 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Welcome to the forum RCE, and thank you for your support!

Rowan guitars are beautiful instruments handcrafted in Texas - Very close to my neighborhood! I met the builder Michael Rowan once and had a good chat. check out this lovely guitar....

JR
Old 01-31-2010, 10:16 AM

Welcome RCE....and thanks!
Old 01-31-2010, 10:28 AM

Hey J.R. it's been a long time, glad to see the Forum is still active and growing! I don't get out here very often but still very active in the guitar scene. Actually building them now, check out the Bay State line on the Re-tunes website.

Good to catch up with you again

RickC
Old 01-31-2010, 10:44 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Rick, nice to hear from you again! Building guitars now? Tell us about it! These guitars are just beautiful:

See:
http://www.baystateguitar.com

JR
Old 01-31-2010, 10:51 AM

I was fortunate enough to meet a local luthier who had just moved to the town I live in about a year and a half ago. My wife set up a meeting with him (Sylvan Wells) to visit his shop, knowing that like the rest of us here I was a guitar fanatic One thing led to another and I was soon building a guitar for myself in Sylvan's shop and now I'm building Bay States along side of my mentor. It's pretty cool how it all worked out. Very rewarding when you finally get to string up one of these creations. Sylvan is a great guy and always willing to help out a budding luthier like myself.

Last edited by RickC; 01-31-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:46 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Isn't it nice when life works out that way? Very cool. It's great to see you back around, Rick. We'd love to hear about your guitar building experience and see some pics in the custom shop section. I'm intrigued by the Bay State guitars and hope to get to play one soon.

Regards,
JR
Old 01-31-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Isn't it nice when life works out that way? Very cool. It's great to see you back around, Rick. We'd love to hear about your guitar building experience and see some pics in the custom shop section. I'm intrigued by the Bay State guitars and hope to get to play one soon.

Regards,
JR

I'll jump in here and add a little since RickC doesn't like to toot his horn much.

First, thanks for the welcome to AGF!

I met Rick and Sylvan Wells at about the time I opened the little guitar shop.
One thing led to another and "Re-Tunes" became the New England distributor for their custom built guitars.

A little history:

"Bay State" was a guitar company originally located in Somerville, MA., building primarily gut stringed parlour guitars. They opened in 1865 and went out of business in approximately 1907.

Sylvan Wells, a master luthier for 35 years moved to MA about 2 years ago.
He was a practicing attorney, but also built many fine guitars, mostly on commission. When he retired from his law practice and he and his wife relocated to MA, he became intrigued by the history of Bay State Guitars and was able to acquire the Internet rights to the name.

He and Rick decided it would be interesting to continue the Bay State name .. as if the company had not gone out of business... and build guitars based on the old company's designs with modern improvements for tone and, of course, steel strings.

The Bay State Guitars are unbelievable to play. They have a powerful voice and it's fun to see people's jaw drop when they hear the projection that the smaller, parlour sized guitars have. They are becoming quite popular in our local area and Sylvan and Rick are backed up with orders.

Our collective biggest moment was when Re-Tunes was visited by Donnie Herron of Bob Dylan's band about a month or so ago. He tried one of the small "Excelsior" Bay State guitars and commented that, "Bob would love this guitar". Long story short, he ended up acquiring the guitar for use in the recording studio with Dylan and, last we heard, it will be put in the rotation of guitars when the band continues touring.

Rick plays a major role now in the building of these guitars. They really are incredible.

Here's a link to more pictures and detailed information on the "Tilton":

http://www.re-tunes.net/Tiltonpic.html

There's a short video on the page. Rick is there, but was camera shy.

Here's a couple of pics as well: (hope this works)

RCE
Old 01-31-2010, 01:34 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Thanks for the history on the Bay State guitars, RCE. These look really interesting.

An original 1888 Bay State 'Tilton' model:

Old 01-31-2010, 02:50 PM

What are the upper and lower bout dimensions on the Excelsior. I like the idea of the oversized soundhole.

Last edited by mesa; 01-31-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa View Post
What are the upper and lower bout dimension on the Excelsior. I like the idea of the oversized soundhole.
I'll get the measurements for you tomorrow. Have to get them from Rick or Sylvan.

The "Tilton" is the closest to the old Bay State Parlor guitar.
It's a 12 fret to the body design.

The "Excelsior" is the same size, but has a deeper body, has 13 frets to the body and an enlarged sound hole. Sounds like a parlour guitar on steroids.

RCE
Old 02-01-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa View Post
What are the upper and lower bout dimensions on the Excelsior. I like the idea of the oversized soundhole.
Measured another similar guitar as the Excelsior.
Upper bout is 10 inches
Lower bout is 14.25 inches.

RCE
Old 02-01-2010, 04:19 PM

Thanks RCE.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace