The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-23-2010, 12:23 PM

Default Bedell guitars?

anyone ever play one? or have sound clips? resources (tone wise) are hard to find online. they look interesting for theprice point, but i haven't heard too much about them.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:51 PM

found this vid on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FVsn3g34Z4
Old 01-23-2010, 12:52 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

New to me.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 01-23-2010, 01:14 PM

they advertise in vintage guitar mag and others quite often but i've never seen nor played one. they are based in iowa.

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-23-2010, 04:53 PM

I played one of their Parlor guitars (12 frets clear). I was amazed by the sound coming from this small guitar. Craftsmanship seemed very good. If they had one with 14 frets clear, and were a little less expensive it might be in my consideration for a parlor.

While it's a U.S. based company, I believe they are made in China.

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor
Old 01-23-2010, 05:40 PM

I just got back this week from the NAMM show in Anaheim Ca. and they had a very cool booth with a hippy bus and lots of merch- seems like they're really trying to launch their brand. I tried a few guitars out and they were pretty decent. I think the one poster could be right about being made in China or Asia- pretty much competetive with other nice guitars from there. My friend didn't care for the sound at all- but in all fairness, it's hard to get a great read at some of the booths as it's kinda noisy and distracting. They had a nice feel and look though and I would try them again.

Mike

Martin D28
Martin DC-16RGTE Aura
Guild F-30rce (New Hartford)
Guild D-40c
Guild D-35s (both Guild Dreads are late 70's Westerley models)
Larrivee 0M-03
Taylor 314ce (Mahogany top)
Frog Level FL-18 (Custom-Martin D-18 style)
Tacoma Chief C1C (sunburst)
Fender F95 (mid 70's beauty-really!)
Sigma GC1 (Martin 00-18 style)
Takamine EG128sc (nylon)
Old 01-23-2010, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

I played a 12 fret parlor. It was all Sapele (or at least looked like that). I believe all solid wood. Fairly good size for a parlor. It did have a made in China sticker on it. Fit and finish was nice (wood bindings). Played well. There were 2 there, on one the saddle was excessively high, would make me nervous about cracking the bridge, but the action was fairly low. It did sound nice for the price point; $1k. Overall, it was impressive and should be able to compete.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 01-23-2010, 06:46 PM

i am so pissed at a friend of mine that was supposed to get me in the namm show. he flaked and gave the passto someone else. i wanted to see the eastman guitar display too. they have a couple dreds at mccabes, but i wanted to see more of the flat top line.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoss74 View Post
anyone ever play one? or have sound clips? resources (tone wise) are hard to find online. they look interesting for theprice point, but i haven't heard too much about them.

/www.americanmusical.com/ItemList--Bedell-Guitars--m-2667
You'll find some here at AMS. They also have Great Divide guitars a less expensive offering from Bedell but still have solid tops.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:24 PM

My son played some last night in a music store in Indiana. He really liked this guitar: http://bedellguitars.com/performance...coustic-guitar , though he said the others he tried didn't seem to have the same tone quality.

He was lead to believe they were handcrafted in Aspen, CO, which is partly why they caught his attention (we live in CO). I scoured their website for a bit, and I can find no mention of where the guitars are manufactured, so I bet the previous posters were correct in stating they are Chinese. Doesn't mean they aren't any good, it just detracts from the "desirability" factor for me. Will be interesting to see how the company fares in the coming years.

AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:52 PM

I think these are very similar to Harvest Guitars, although Harvest is more up front on their website about where they are made (China) .

There are mannnnnnny guitar 'factories' in China and contracts to provide these guitars to distributors in the US (who put their brand name on them) are a constantly changing landscape. So the quality of a given brand name can change over time.

I have no personal experience with Bedell, but I have played a bunch of similar (all solid wood - made in China) instruments and find most of them to be good quality for the money. Not great, but worth the price.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:58 PM

My local shop just started carrying these. I picked up the parlor and the om rosewood spruce combo.I liked them a lot. they are Chinese but are very nicely finished with great necks. Sounded very nice. I would not hesitate to buy one as a go to guitar.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
they advertise in vintage guitar mag and others quite often but i've never seen nor played one. they are based in iowa.
They also advertise in Forbes, which I thought was interesting.

John Sorell
Old 01-27-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsorell View Post
They also advertise in Forbes, which I thought was interesting.

John Sorell
My music biz contacts tell me that the owner (Tom Bedell) made his fortune in his family's fishing tackle business (Berkeley?). He's got deep pockets - Bedell Guitars has been running multi-full-page ads in various trade and consumer publications for months now... They also have a lesser expensive line called Great Divide. I'm told that both lines are made in China - the Bedell line is made by the same factory that builds the Guild GAD series. He and his wife recently bought a music store in Colorado, which perhaps lends weight to the 'made in USA' myth.

Time will tell, but like the old adage goes: 'If you want to make a million dollars in the music business, start with three million'...
Old 01-27-2010, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

According to Bedell's web site there is a custom shop "coming soon". I wonder if these will be made in the US or not. Also, is Tom Bedell a luthier or does he just own the company???

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion