The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-06-2009, 11:07 AM

Default Ovation Propaganda

I'm probably stirring the kettle here, but I couldn't resist posting this. The link is to Part 1; parts 2 & 3 are easily found as well. Each is 6-8 minutes long. The video is from Ovation's 40th anniversary a few years back. My favorite part is the very end of video 3 where it becomes obvious that the USA Ovations require real skill to build.

Ovation Guitars: Unique Voices

MY OVATIONS
Spruce: Patriot #76, 1768-7LTD, 1122, 6774, 1779 USA, 1657-Adi
Redwood: 2001-X, 1537-X, 1713-X, FD14-X, Dan Savage 5743-X
Koa: 2078LXF, 1768-X, 1997-X
12-string: 1755, 1615-X Walnut
Exotic tops: 1768-XWF (Bubinga), 1987-M (Mahogany), Adamas 1681-X (Q. Maple)
Others: MM-68-7LTD Mandolin, MM-868-X Mandocello
Old 11-06-2009, 11:36 AM

You're preaching to the converted here, Patch! I don't currently own an Ovation, although I have been looking for a good used one from GC's used section. I think I may have to buy new as there were issues with the ones I tried. Right now I can't hear the link you provided as I'm in a noisy coffee bar. I look forward to watching it when I get home.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:41 AM

What are the differences between Ovation and Adamas guitar models? Is one less expensive, or differently made? Thanks.

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 11-06-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkstrum View Post
What are the differences between Ovation and Adamas guitar models? Is one less expensive, or differently made? Thanks.
The Adamas models have carbon fiber tops and are considered Ovation's higher end models, especially those with textured tops and a device called a suspension ring joining the top to the bowl. These guitars are tone monsters and can nearly punch holes in walls.

Other Ovations (like mine) are wood topped, and the USA made ones are extremely good guitars, especially for the money. I know several folks at the Ovation factory now, having had several guitars shipped to them for repairs and refurbs. (I have 4 there now in fact.) They are top flight folks and give some fo the best customer service you'll ever find.

MY OVATIONS
Old 11-06-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I think the main difference between an Ovation and an Adamas is that while the former has a wood top and synthetic bowl, the latter is all synthetic, with a top made of carbon fiber. The Adamases I've seen do seem to be more expensive - as much as an extra 25-30% more in many cases.

Okay, I see your questions have already been answered!
Old 11-06-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
You're preaching to the converted here, Patch! I don't currently own an Ovation, although I have been looking for a good used one from GC's used section. I think I may have to buy new as there were issues with the ones I tried. Right now I can't hear the link you provided as I'm in a noisy coffee bar. I look forward to watching it when I get home.
What kind of O are you looking for? I have a couple of VERY nice ones for sale on the Ovation Fan Club. One's a nylon string and the other is a vintage (for Ovation anyway) 12-string. Here's a link...

Some of my best instruments for sale

...and a couple of quick pics.

I also have a nice 6-string Custom Legend for sale, but it's on hold at the request of a friend.

MY OVATIONS
Old 11-06-2009, 12:09 PM

As hard as I might try I have yet to find an Ovation that sounded good enough to make me pull the trigger. I take that back. I forgot that I did buy an Ovation 12 string a few months ago that sounded pretty good. I ended up sending it to Nashville to my brother as a gift and he's used it in several recordings already. Said he loves the tone plugged in.

Steel and Wood, "Listen closely and she'll tell you her secrets" RG
Old 11-06-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchmcg View Post
What kind of O are you looking for? I have a couple of VERY nice ones for sale on the Ovation Fan Club. One's a nylon string and the other is a vintage (for Ovation anyway) 12-string. I also have a nice 6-string Custom Legend for sale, but it's on hold at the request of a friend.
I've been hovering around the higher end. I bought 1680 Adamas from one budget online store but it had a skewed neck angle and back it went. I've also tried out a Custom Elite and a discontinued shallow bowl Custom Legend. I'm not in the market for a nylon or 12 string. The Custom Legend you mentioned might be of interest; however, I've just laid out some serious bucks on a L'Arrivee so I might give my wallet a break for the moment!
Old 11-06-2009, 01:04 PM

I own Martin and Ovations guitars

I like them both
Old 11-06-2009, 01:53 PM

I love my Ovation for its portability and durability. It also plays very nicely. I think that's what drove me to Taylors, as those were the only guitars that had better playability for me. Martins never felt as 'light' under my fingers.

(Plus, during a particularly grunge/experimental band phase, it made for some amazing sounds plugged in, with amp, (and distortion, then through a wah pedal).

Taylor Honey-burst 614c
Kala Mahogany Ukulele

Ovation Celebrity Deluxe
Old 11-06-2009, 02:00 PM

Owned a circa 70s Legend 1617 for decades ...just a fabulous guitar! She sounded big and full, and played better than many acoustics 2x its price (especially given the resale on ovations). I sold it (regrettably) to fund a Taylor purchase. I don't regret the "upgrade" (don't flame me ...I love my Taylor cedar!), but do regret not having my old Legend. Just a great workhorse and superb live guitar that had never let me donw for 20+ years.

Edward
Old 11-06-2009, 02:05 PM

I've owned two Ovations over the years: a Custom Balladeer with sitka top, deep bowl, and an Adamas with the carbon/spruce/carbon sandwich top.

The Adamas IMO is far superior unplugged. Mine rang like a piano, was easy to play, and rock solid - a real professional grade instrument. Unfortunatley it had a 1 11/16 neck so I had to sell it. I sure miss its tone! BTW, both excelled when plugged in.

Both were great instruments and I never regretted owning them. Ovations get alot of slams, and I think, at least on their upper end models, the criticism is unwarranted. I would own another Adamas.

Last edited by RoseAdi; 11-06-2009 at 02:11 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 11-06-2009, 02:11 PM

Thanks for the explanation guys. For a change of pace, I rather like the sound of Ovations/Adamas. Never owned one because I couldn't justify the expense. I'm kind of a minimalist when it comes to multiple guitars.

I thought I DID see some Adamas model with sitka top, but I was just kind of cruising around their website.

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 11-06-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:

I thought I DID see some Adamas model with sitka top, but I was just kind of cruising around their website.
In the early eighties, they built the first of the Elite line, model number 1537. They couldn't do it for long because the production cost too much to make it feasible, but for those guitars they actually tried to make what has come to be known as a wood-topped Adamas. There was more involved than swapping tops. Quite a few labor-intensive techniques and hyper-attention to quality materials yielded what was initially conceived of as the "Super Legend" (if memory serves). To avoid confusion I guess, they changed the name to Elite. The guitars came with sitka tops in natural, burst, and black finishes and looked exactly like a traditional Adamas only in wood. Trust me when I say that the 1537 does not sound like other Elites. I owned one for quite a while and the thing was an absolute BEAST! Loud, full, and rich. Easily one of Ovation's best efforts. They're getting harder to find now, but if you can get one in good shape, go ahead and treat yourself. They're somethin' else. If I'm lucky, Mauvais Beal will chime in and correct any misinformation I'm throwing around.

Geez, now I'm missing mine again, but it's on its way to France. Here's how it looked when I picked it up at the factory after a refurb visit. It's one of the very best guitars I've ever touched.

MY OVATIONS
Old 11-06-2009, 04:46 PM

I've only watched the first half of the first of the three video clips so far, but boy they did a good job with this. This has gotten me wondering why I have never really taken Ovations seriously in the past.

I'm not about to return my Goodall and buy an Ovation, but I might pick up an Ovation and try it sometime if I see one in a shop. I don't think The Podium sells Ovations though - or if they do, I have never noticed them - and I don't get out much otherwise.....and I've also promised myself to not try out any guitars in shops for a long time to come and just focus on working to bring out the full potential of the great instruments I have!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion