The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-15-2009, 10:03 PM
Guitar Honey

Default Ryan Nightingale: Part III (the next Ryan)

Here is the new thread, continued from Part II.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:58 AM

Here's a review of "The Blackbird". First of all, here is a reprise of my thoughts on my first Ryan Nightingale and "The Blackbird" has all of the following attributes:

(review from my first Nightingale)

When Kevin told me it was goal to exceed my expectations when we first decided to work together, I must confess that my expectations were pretty darn high (after all, like many on this forum I have owned and played some pretty nice instruments). He not only exceeded them, but he BLEW ME AWAY with this guitar! I’ve have played a ton of guitars over my lifetime and this guitar is truly the best I have ever had the privilege to play.

The tone and volume that my Nightingale produces is simply stunning. The trebles are fat, crisp, and articulate up and down the entire register. The bass is tremendous, powerful yet articulate (it’s always fun when I play those notes and get that nice rumble out of the body) - the extra box depth REALLY makes a bid difference. The mids are the perfect compliment to the trebles and bass, produce that nice transition tone that is full, articulate and powerful. Amazingly, with the standout tone of each part of the guitar (treble, mids and bass), when put together they are amazingly balanced and produce such a nice, beautiful harmony together, unlike any other that I’ve played.

Usually, a guitar takes a while to open up, however this Nightingale sounds more “open” out of the box than any other that I’ve had (including guitars I’ve owned and played regularly for over 10 years). The top is extremely responsive to the slightest of touches and really expands the artistic palate and range that I am capable of drawing from. The sound is remarkably resonant and goes on forever and has a nice gradual dissipation rate. The volume on this guitar is amazing – the Nightingale really “plays bigger” than the size would suggest, easily dominating many dreadnaught and jumbo sized guitars (almost like Charles Barkley in the low post vs. all those wanna be’s).

The attention to detail and quality of the build is unmatched. First the selection of the woods is absolutely top notch. The European spruce top is incredibly tight grained and the silkiest top I’ve seen – exactly what I dreamed of. The Brazilian back and sides are spectacular and just an amazing testament to the “before” and “after” of woods and how they “blossom” in the finished form. The headstock and fret board blue paua inlay is “absolutely lovely” in the way that the two blend into one another to form a simple, elegant and beautiful accent to the instrument. Every time I play the guitar and look down at the blue flecks in the fret board I get that extra bit of special inspiration. The bevel flutes and the slightly larger than “standard” sound hole are a really nice touch producing this full “stereo” sound to the player and audience alike. The bevel and the flutes are as striking beautiful as they are artistic. The custom fret board termination with the tapered end and the carved termination are so sweet. The paua inlay in the top is such a nice touch. The truss rod cover engraving is sweet and a reminder for why I play and where my inspiration truly comes from.

When you put all this together, what do you get? Simply the best guitar I’ve every played.

A few additional thoughts about "The Blackbird":

- Most Ryans to me are a tad more fundamental sounding to my ears than say an Olson or definately a Goodall. There is a really nice shimmer to the trebles on this guitar. It's hard to describe because I would categorize it as traditional overtones, but it is distinct and beautiful sounding and is complex with with a crisp, precise tonal value to them. VERY COOL and it's very Ryan (a good thing!)

- Every attention to detail was made with this guitar which could be seen from the pictures during the build. One thing that could not be seen in the pictures was attention even to the bevel. Kevin chose a piece of Macassar that started with dark brown striping on the tip near the end wedge (to blend in with the Brazilian) which then gradually fades away to black as it nears bevel flutes and then reappears as the bevel terminates again near the waist (and it joins the Brazilian). Very artistic, very classy, very Ryan. There are a number of examples I could give again but this is illustrative of the time, energy, thoughtfulness and taste that goes into a Ryan.

- Several folks sent me PMs about pickups in my Ryans. I put a Feather pickup in my first Nightingale and a Baggs iBeam (active). Of the two, I prefer the iBeam because to me, it really brings out every ounce of robust tone. I played it through a PA this week and several listeners (one who I knew is a total tone hound) came up afterwards and commented on how good it sounds.

In summary, you've seen the pictures and the craftsmanship and the tone is every bit as good if not better. Truly an amazing guitar - they just keep getting better!

Hope this helps!
Old 09-04-2009, 02:11 PM

Default Gold Rush

Word has it that this little gem Signature Ryan Nightingale (Redwood/Brazilian) name "Gold Rush" is available.....

That's a SWEET looking guitar...if I hadn't just picked up and Olson and a Greenfield this would be pretty tempting...

This instrument features the Gold Oyster pearl inlays (WOW!) Ryan Bevel, Bevel Flutes, EO bracing and A4 kerfing, fingerstyle scale (25.7”) a Florentine cutaway, ebony binding, oxbone nut and saddle, super 510 machines and a Deluxe Calton Flight Case.

The Gold Rush Nightingale also debuts Kevin's new, plasma-coated, custom-designed Titanium bridge pins with Gold Oyster inlaid dots. These new Titanium pins are the result of collaboration with Tisonix......DUDE TITANIUM!!!

Old 09-04-2009, 02:14 PM

While I absolutely love the color of the woods, there's a little too much going on with the inlay for my liking. I prefer rather minimal bling on my guitar. Heck, even when I bought new bridge pins, I kept them plain (no dot of any kind on there, just plain bone).
Old 09-04-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erethon View Post
While I absolutely love the color of the woods, there's a little too much going on with the inlay for my liking. I prefer rather minimal bling on my guitar. Heck, even when I bought new bridge pins, I kept them plain (no dot of any kind on there, just plain bone).
I hear ya about keeping it simple. Normally I like blank fretboard but somehow this one works for me in how it flows...each to his own taste!

Congrats on the bone pins. I have/had then on a number of mine and really like em.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erethon View Post
I also prefer minimal, usually no inlay on the neck at all, but this guitar in person looks "right", and even more importantly, simply sounds amazing. I could care less what a guitar looks like when it sounds like this one does.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:41 PM

My knees just went weak.

This is the stuff dreams are made of!
Old 09-04-2009, 04:04 PM

The Gold Rush is a beautiful guitar ... it almost made me change the back and sides of my Paradiso to Brazilian.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:39 PM

That guitar is too sexy for me. My wife would be jealous.
2007 Warwick corvette bass (Double Buck) 4 string
2009 Custom Coco/addi jumbo "Maranatha"
2010 412 Spring LTD

Amps- some of them
Peavey 100watt acoustic amp (very clean sounding)
Roland JC-120 head with 4x12 matching cabinet
Praise and Worship dude
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...44369/Guitars/
Old 09-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

That redwood is gorgeous. I love the charcoal hue. And it works very well with that set of Brazilian.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:25 PM

Besides Doug, who else played it at Healdsburg and what did you think of it?
Old 09-05-2009, 01:32 AM

It was gorgeous ... as I said, it almost got me to change the specs on my Paradiso ... I sat with it for quite awhile, very much enjoying it ... I was also very surprised with the Paradiso and how well it sounded against the Gold Rush.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:51 AM

Commando

I have to say that Ryan is incredible. I just ordered an Olson Brazilian SJ Cutaway...what do you think my wife will say if I order a Ryan too? LOL

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com
Old 09-08-2009, 01:25 PM

Besides her telling you how handsome and thoughtful you are, I'm sure she would acknowledge how wise you are to make sure a fine, fine decision.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Boy View Post
Besides her telling you how handsome and thoughtful you are, I'm sure she would acknowledge how wise you are to make sure a fine, fine decision.
That's what my wife said

(she gets to say this alot )

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop