The Acoustic Guitar Forum  

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-24-2009, 06:15 PM

Default Takamine or Seagull?

I'm a beginner about to buy my first acoustic/electric. I've narrowed my decison down to two guitars:

Takamine G Series 340C @ $379 or

Seagull S6 Original Q1 @ $529

I know this may not be an "apples to apples" comparison because the Seagull is $150 more but that's where I find myself after looking, playing and listening to different guitars. I can afford to buy the Seagull if it is really worth the extra money but I'm trying to decide if it makes sense to do this. Because I'm a beginner, I don't have the experience & expertise to compare and contrast these from a player's perspective. I'd appreciate any comments/guidance you can provide. Thanks.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:21 PM

If you plan on plugging in.....Takamine hands down.

Takamine Santa Fe, Alvarez 5056, Alvarez 5053,Yamaha FG-300, Yairi DY53 1990 (Pecan), Spirit Dreadnought, Yamaha Classical....we wont even start on the electrics.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musical5 View Post
If you plan on plugging in.....Takamine hands down.
I agree with the above. But if you are planning on playing acoustically, I think the Seagull S6 is a better sounding guitar. In fact the S6 is not only a great guitar to learn on, it's a great keeper even once you become accomplished.

Regards, Glenn
Old 10-24-2009, 06:25 PM

Do you have any friend or acquaintance who plays who can go shopping with you, and might be able to point out any potential issues from a "player's perspective" (as you say)?

If you haven't done so already I'd also make sure to have someone else - if not a friend, at least the salesperson - play both for you so you can just listen and concentrate on how they sound.

Good luck!
Old 10-24-2009, 06:27 PM

For a beginner, I would recommend a guitar without electronics. for the same price you will get a better guitar. Also think about used guitars. A used Seagull S6 w/o electronics is about half the price of the one you mentioned. You can find a really good deal in the used market. I have not tried the Tak, so can't help you there, but the S6 is a truly a great guitar. And you'll probably get a lot of other suggestions such as a Yamaha FG730s. Also an awesome guitar and there is one for sale in the classified (not mine). Good Luck.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:38 PM

Take the Tak
Old 10-24-2009, 09:55 PM

Not to point out the obvious but......do make sure and play them both before deciding. If you can find a store that has more than one of each model play them all. Even the same models can sound very different. I played a $900.00 Taylor recently that sounded better than every 3k acoustic in the store. I was shocked.

Takamine Santa Fe, Alvarez 5056, Alvarez 5053,Yamaha FG-300, Yairi DY53 1990 (Pecan), Spirit Dreadnought, Yamaha Classical....we wont even start on the electrics.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

Have you played them? Never underestimate "comfort." Most Seagulls come with a wider than average neck. Many people love that size. I do not. Most Taks come with a slightly narrower neck than most guitars. Some people like that size, some do not. (I do).

I wouldn;t play a guitar that doesn't feel right.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:30 PM

i very much agree with Glenwillow that acoustically the s6 sounds much better (and is louder, btw) than the tak, but the tak sounds better when plugged in.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:58 PM

Default and...

I would echo Glenn as well. I have had both and while I loved the Tak, it sounded muffled...I guess you could call it that, while unplugged. Plugged in it was a dandy.

The Seagull sounds great either way...

And...made in North America. Godin guitars (Seagull's parent company) are a tremendous value for the money.

Good luck and welcome to the forum (if no one has said that to you).

Martin OM-15m custom

Opinions subject to change due to experience...
Old 10-25-2009, 08:00 AM

I prefer seagull over tak. but there is a big price difference which could make me go the other way if I was in the situation.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:25 AM

I would like to echo what others have said, go and try them both. Plugged in hmmm in my opinion an electro acoustic is only as good as the pick-up.
If you want to play the Seagull louder through an Amp then put a mic in front of it.

Regards,
Marty
Old 10-25-2009, 08:32 AM

The S6 is has a sound all its own, and very nice. I kept one for several years and was never disappointed. It S6 might be a better all around guitar, it handles open tunings and the neck, while wide, has a fairly low profile and should not be difficult to play. Does the TAK have a solid top? Here's what I found:
# Spruce top
# Mahogany back and sides

If an add does not say solid, it is almost always laminate. This is not to say it's a bad guitar, but the S6 does have a solid top.

I have played a parlor G model TAK and it was light and responsive.

Good luck
Old 10-25-2009, 03:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to franchelB Send a message via Yahoo to franchelB

While I liked the sound of the Seagull S6 and find nothing wrong with it whatsoever, the Takamine (G406S) that I played pleasantly surprised me. If I was looking for a smaller guitar, I'd pick this one over anything that Taylor or Martin is making at the moment.

Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to play the G340C yet. Takamine makes decent sounding guitars though.

Though you might have the "experience and expertise", I'd suggest that you (or a friend) try out the guitars at the store, and let YOUR ears decide.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 10-25-2009, 03:47 PM

My experience with the two brands leads me to the conclusion that Takamines work well plugged in, but do not have the tone of Seagulls when unplugged. I don't know which pickup comes installed with the S6 you're looking at, but there are many good pickups (K&K PWM comes to mind) which could be installed after your purchase, and which would retain the excellent tone Seagulls are known for.

-Raf

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion