The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-15-2009, 03:53 PM

Default Please help me identify (Alvarez Dove?)

Here's the short(er) story--> My aunt passed away about 10 years ago due to brain cancer. Her husband, knowing my father plays the guitar, out of the blue told my Dad a couple of years ago that he had a guitar that she had bought for him (her husband) for his birthday back in the 70's, or so he remembered. He had never played it (lived in a case its whole life) and wanted my Dad to have it since he was her closest sibling. So, my Dad goes and picks it up and takes it home. He leaves it in the case until the next time I go to see him. He tells me that he wants me to have it. It's gorgeous (to me) and very near mint if not mint. It has a ring and tone to it that will make you want to dance and sing, no kidding.

Honestly, I have no idea what I've got here. Here's what I do know:
-it's an Alvarez
-Sunburst finish
-major copy of a Gibson Dove (or so it looks)
-stamped "5024" and "Handmade" inside along with a serial number
-seems to have a truss rod

Below are the pics. Can anyone tell me more? Where's it made? Around what year is it? Worth anything (other than sentimental)? Etc.

Any help and ideas would be great. I just can't seem to find much on it anywhere and I know nothing more than the aforementioned.

Your help and thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:16 PM

I have a 5053 from 1976. I am guessing Late 70's on yours. I have a 1976 catalog at home, I will look it up for you. Those were the copycat years for them. My 5053 is a mix of Martin D45 and D35 in looks.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:43 AM

There are a few of this model on the guitar-museum site. Not much info though:

http://www.guitar-museum.com/manufacturer.php?ID=34
Old 10-16-2009, 01:03 PM

Well the catalog from St. Louis Music Supply that was the US distributor shows this as a Jumbo Western.

"This Jumbo Dreadnought is extreemely popular with country western groups"

The catalog I have shows a gibson crown on the headstock with the double bar (super 400 and les paul elite) fret markers all with the dove inlayed bridge and pickguard. It does not show the sunburst.

Backs and side of Nato Mahogany and rosewood fingerboard. Bridge has 4 way adjustments for each string for "meticulous string setting".

I think they were made in Japan. Mine is "Jacaranda with maple D35 wedge" all laminated to what looks like east indian rosewood.

see my link in my signature and look at the Alvarez.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion