The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-03-2009, 06:29 PM

Default "Bell like" tone.......guitar recording examples?

Mods.......

Feel free to move this to "Show &Tell" if need be. I figured it might get more interest and views in this section.....

Anyway, stupid question maybe but I'm wondering about examples of bell like tone on guitars. You see this often mentioned but I am only guessing at what it actually means. Anyone have examples (links etc...) of this that are fairly noticeable in a recording or 2? Maybe there are some examples on Youtube etc....?
Old 09-03-2009, 07:22 PM

my stanford PSRD-20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5_-z...eature=related

all in all, the gibson J-45 and AJ create some great bell like tones. and most any dread with scalloped bracing. adi tops seem tot help too.

'71 Guild D25
'83 Guild D35
'98 Guild F30r
Old 09-03-2009, 07:23 PM

The B part of "Arkansas Traveler" off Norman Blake's Whiskey Before Breakfast album.

Don Smith
Raleigh, NC
Old 09-03-2009, 07:46 PM

can hear Matt`s Guild in the beginning have a good bell like ring to it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76ifTTuL4XI
Old 09-03-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodruff View Post
my stanford PSRD-20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5_-z...eature=related

all in all, the gibson J-45 and AJ create some great bell like tones. and most any dread with scalloped bracing. adi tops seem tot help too.

In the second short clip (G chord riff) of this MP3, if you listen carefully you can hear a ringing sound from my guitar....
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7870190
Is that an example of it?

BTW Woody, I have noticed the same thing (same sound) from your PSRD-20 Youtube clips.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martind gibsona View Post
The B part of "Arkansas Traveler" off Norman Blake's Whiskey Before Breakfast album.

Don Smith
Raleigh, NC

I don't have that album. I'll see if that song's on Youtube I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeasam View Post
can hear Matt`s Guild in the beginning have a good bell like ring to it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76ifTTuL4XI

Guitar sounds good. Not sure I hear anything that reminds me of bells though. Kind of a noisy recording unfortunately......

Anyone else?
Old 09-03-2009, 10:36 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQvH9...eature=channel

I think many people consider the brightness of a Taylor as a bell like tone. Many love it, and many hate it. You hear more of that bell like quality on the strumming portion of the video.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQvH9...eature=channel

I think many people consider the brightness of a Taylor as a bell like tone. Many love it, and many hate it. You hear more of that bell like quality on the strumming portion of the video.

Ya Russ, I can hear a chimey (probably not a real word ) sound on the strumming part of the video. That's sort of what I pictured as bell-like. Man, that's a fairly loud Taylor I must say.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:06 PM

I consider a bell-like sound to mean clarity of the notes, rather than a dampened "thunk" that you hear from many guitars. Some guitars seem to absorb much of the sound that is generated from playing a note while others, the good ones, imo, reflect or project the sound much more clearly and musically (piano-like). That is why I prefer Adirondack tops over most other top-woods, because of the clarity and definition. Caveat: This is just my personal opinion and definitely not the most educated of opinions.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimR View Post
I consider a bell-like sound to mean clarity of the notes, rather than a dampened "thunk" that you hear from many guitars. Some guitars seem to absorb much of the sound that is generated from playing a note while others, the good ones, imo, reflect or project the sound much more clearly and musically (piano-like). That is why I prefer Adirondack tops over most other top-woods, because of the clarity and definition. Caveat: This is just my personal opinion and definitely not the most educated of opinions.

OK Now I'll have to figure out what you mean by dampened "thunk" . I know that some guitars sound dead and "thuddy". I'm sure that Adi contributes to better clarity, but properly built/designed top bracing is an even bigger factor IMO.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:54 AM

I think of 'bell-like' tone as being isolated most clearly on harmonics -- esp. in open tunings. Case in point the first tune on the web player at link below.
That's the XXX, in DADGAD. That combination conjures up the most bells for me...
http://www.jr-guitar.com/

R.Taylor Style 1 Cocobolo/Engelmann; Martin: OM-28M Rosanne Cash (Adi/Madrose); Custom Shop OMC-21 Juber (Gautemalen/Moon Spruce); CS 000-28 (Italian Alpine/Madrose); Santa Cruz OM Custom (Brazilian/German Spruce); Kevin Ryan Mission GC Brazilian/European Spruce
Old 09-04-2009, 07:38 AM

You can some clear, bell-like tones on this clip of my Stanford PSD10:

Near the Cross

Jeff
Old 09-04-2009, 08:25 AM

Old adages: "As clear as a bell," "ring like a bell." I agree with those that the bell-like tone means clarity and sustain. Even good guitars sound "thuddy" or "thunky" (are those real words?) with old strings, and I think new strings render more bell tones on all guitars!

Ryan, I don't regard the "chimey" sound of Taylors and other makes as bell-like, rather I equate sustain and a certain indescribable modulation with bells, and chime with triangles and cymbals. My personal preference is to have some chime and bell in my guitar sound, but there can be too much. That is why electric players must master the art of muting, because without muting the sustain of an electric will produce unpleasing dischords and harmonics!

As mentioned above, I have found that strings can greatly attenuate or accentuate bell and chime tones. I have found strings that can almost eliminate the chime of my GA4 (Black Diamond black coated) or bring it out above all other tones (Elixer 80/20 nanos). So, I restring my Taylor depending on the sound I want for any particular application....I really need to buy a couple more Taylors and just have them ready with different strings!!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 09-04-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
I don't have that album. I'll see if that song's on Youtube I guess.
Just go buy the album ... you'll thank me!

Don Smith
Raleigh, NC
Old 09-04-2009, 08:48 AM

Wow, this is just one more example of how describing tone is like dancing architecture (credits to Jeff). While I liked the sounds of the guitars referenced in the clips, almost none of them put forth what I hear in my head when a person describes a guitar as having bell like tones or qualities.

Get a high quality, musical grade bell, ring it, and you'll hear deep, full long sustaining, sometimes harmonically rich, tones of very unique and articulate clarity. Rich, articulate, very well developed notes, that sustain almost forever.

I think bell like is different that other descriptors for guitar tone and not many guitars that I have played have what I hear when one says "bell like" tone. I know that we are limited to describing tone with the verbal tools we have available; while doing so is helpful, it is also our greatest confounder in sharing what we hear in our heads with words that mean different things to different listeners.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion