The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-17-2009, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Default Healdsburg Photos - Justonwo's Experience

One thing I can certainly say - this having been my first Healdsburg experience - is that one day is definitely NOT enough to really experience all the different guitars. Overall, I was really impressed with the show, and had quite a nice time trying out all the guitars. The easy-going attitude of all the builders about trying their guitars, and the giant auditorium that could be used to give them a workout, made the whole experience really satisfying.

I was disappointed I didn't get to play guitars from Poling, Woolson, McKnight, and various others, but I did hit several great builders.

There were a few notable mentions for me from the show:

1) There was a Micheletti sinker Redwood/Brazilian Kestrel that my friend and I were really taken with. Though the guitar had been returned by the original owner with a giant crack, after repair the guitar really sounded fantastic. Great overtones, depth of sound, and clarity. We played this one for quite a while in the auditorium. Because of the crack repair, the price has been reduced substantially from the "new" price. This guitar will make someone VERY happy.

2) I have been drooling over Ryans since I first stumbled across the reviews of them last year. This was the first opportunity I ever had to play one. My friend and I demoed both the Caspian/Brazilian Nightingale and the new Mission replacement. Honestly, I was pretty disappointed in both. Compared to several other guitars I played at the show, the bass on the Nightingale was overwhelming and the tonal spectrum quite muddled (possibly because of the depth of the guitar). The Paradiso sounded quite flat to me, with no particular sparkle or complexity to the sound. I was really shocked by this experience given that I've read so many rave reviews of these guitars. My friend's opinions were largely the same.

3) I was quite taken with a particular Bashkin Placencia at the show. I forget the exact top wood, but it was clearly Spruce. Back and sides were Brazilian. The guitar had the projection and depth of a much bigger guitar, but with the presence and clarity of an OM. In the OM-size category, this guitar truly stood out from the rest of the crowd.

Goodall

Kinnaird

Some gorgeous wood choices here.

Micheletti

The aforementioned sinker Redwood/Braz Micheletti. A truly wonderful instrument!

Ryan

Inlay on steroids . . .

Redwood/Braz Nightingale

Caspian Spruce/Braz Nightingale

Never had $xxxxx just sitting in my lap . . .

Last edited by cotten; 08-19-2009 at 09:52 AM. Reason: AGF Rule 2: no guitar price discussion
Old 08-17-2009, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Applegate

Petros

Bashkin

One of my favorite guitars at the show . . .

Really cool inlay on the Bashkin.

The auditorium for guitar trials . . .

Baranik

Old 08-17-2009, 12:37 PM

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I was suprised by your lack of enthusiasm over the Ryan's... I've never played one myself but that has been at the pinnacle of my guitar playing dreams...
Old 08-17-2009, 01:01 PM

That Redwood/Braz Ryan is one of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen. And I'm not usually taken by a guitar with that much art on it.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerstylist View Post
That Redwood/Braz Ryan is one of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen. And I'm not usually taken by a guitar with that much art on it.
I thought it was the most amazing sounding guitar I've ever played.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:07 PM

In terms of aesthetics only, the Nightingale blows my mind as do most of Kevin's guitars.

I'd heard nothing but great things about Mike Bashkin's guitars.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:08 PM

Default Baraniks!

Finally, a photo of some Baraniks from Healdsburg (I'm a fan) - I guess they're a bit more understated than some of the other showcase guitars.

Anyone know anything about or try the new model (the two guitars to the right in the photo) - looks like a 12-fret 000-style?

Edit: Actually, I think those two guitars may be by someone else - anyone have info on the new Baranik model?

Baranik Meridian "Aurora" fan-fret - Celebes ebony / Colorado blue spruce
Tom Sands Model L fan-fret - Macassar ebony / European spruce
Hamblin GC - Macassar ebony / Italian spruce
Kronbauer SMB - Macassar ebony / Engelmann spruce
Baranik JX - Indian rosewood / German spruce
Sheppard GA - African blackwood / Bosnian spruce
Collings OM1
CA Cargo Raw | Ele

Last edited by Huckleberry; 08-17-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:26 PM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
Finally, a photo of some Baraniks from Healdsburg (I'm a fan) - I guess they're a bit more understated than some of the other showcase guitars.

Anyone know anything about or try the new model (the two guitars to the right in the photo) - looks like a 12-fret 000-style?
Hi there, Huckleberry. I'm also a Baranik fan. All four were new models - the two on the left are the "Meridian Concert" and the two on the right are (I think) based on 30s (Gibson?) parlours.

The Meridian features several changes from the JX/CX. The lower bout is right in between them in width. The waist has been tightened and shifted slightly up, retaining the assymetry. The upper bout is small - although visually it doesn't appear that small. It is very comfortable. Mike has also built these with double sides to provide the foundation for the biggest improvement - a fully adjustable neck via a hex nut inside the heel-mounted strap button. The action can be changed with a slight twist of a hex wrench to adjust for humidity and location changes. The design has been thoroughly tested the last year with Dorian Michael's prototype. It's an amazing piece of engineering imho.

The two parlours - one was braz/adi and the other koa/blue spruce - were very comfortable little guitars with amazing projection. Both sporting sound holes, I was standing holding one (the koa) at one point while Mike chatted with someone about the Meridian. The person just lightly strummed the Meridian - still on the stand - and the little koa parlour just "woke up" -- started vibrating unbelievably in my hands! I just about jumped like the first time my pager went off while working on cables in a closet (!!). It just came alive.

I'm sure there are details that I've missed, but Mike told me he'd be working on getting his website updated to provide more information on both new models soon.

The braz/sitka (which was a partial dbl top btw) sold the first day. The cocobolo negro/Colorado Blue Spruce "survived" the show without a buyer and I'm sure Mike will have it up on his website soon. The braz/adi parlour sold as well; the blue hawaiian (koa / blue spruce w/ blue paua rosette and heelcap - gorgeous!) did not sell at the show.

Thanks for the pics, justonwo!

rr/Phil
Old 08-17-2009, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Finally, a photo of some Baraniks from Healdsburg (I'm a fan) [/I]
I was thinking the same thing. Glad someone took some pics of his instruments. They are among the top of the head IMHO.
LC
Old 08-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Justin,

Great photos!

Thanks, Glenn
Old 08-17-2009, 02:33 PM

What a wonderful album of photographs. Thanks for sharing this, it was a great read.

Guild GAD 40CE
Baby Taylor
Martin Backpacker
Martin HD28

( O)===++

Last edited by cotten; 08-19-2009 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Removed a reposting of all those beautiful photos.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
Hi there, Huckleberry. I'm also a Baranik fan. All four were new models - the two on the left are the "Meridian Concert" and the two on the right are (I think) based on 30s (Gibson?) parlours.

The Meridian features several changes from the JX/CX. The lower bout is right in between them in width. The waist has been tightened and shifted slightly up, retaining the assymetry. The upper bout is small - although visually it doesn't appear that small. It is very comfortable. Mike has also built these with double sides to provide the foundation for the biggest improvement - a fully adjustable neck via a hex nut inside the heel-mounted strap button. The action can be changed with a slight twist of a hex wrench to adjust for humidity and location changes. The design has been thoroughly tested the last year with Dorian Michael's prototype. It's an amazing piece of engineering imho.

The two parlours - one was braz/adi and the other koa/blue spruce - were very comfortable little guitars with amazing projection. Both sporting sound holes, I was standing holding one (the koa) at one point while Mike chatted with someone about the Meridian. The person just lightly strummed the Meridian - still on the stand - and the little koa parlour just "woke up" -- started vibrating unbelievably in my hands! I just about jumped like the first time my pager went off while working on cables in a closet (!!). It just came alive.

I'm sure there are details that I've missed, but Mike told me he'd be working on getting his website updated to provide more information on both new models soon.

The braz/sitka (which was a partial dbl top btw) sold the first day. The cocobolo negro/Colorado Blue Spruce "survived" the show without a buyer and I'm sure Mike will have it up on his website soon. The braz/adi parlour sold as well; the blue hawaiian (koa / blue spruce w/ blue paua rosette and heelcap - gorgeous!) did not sell at the show.

Thanks for the pics, justonwo!

rr/Phil
Veery interesting, I've loved my JX since I first played it, and would like a smaller bodied guitar modern-voiced guitar to go with it (almost certainly in African Blackwood- I loved the AB Sheppard GC I played recently). It could be a Meridian. Any chance you could PM me with approximate price?

I also experienced that sympathetic 'waking up' with my JX at the weekend, my dad was sitting opposite playing his Lowden. Makes you feel the guitar is almost alive!

Baranik Meridian "Aurora" fan-fret - Celebes ebony / Colorado blue spruce
Tom Sands Model L fan-fret - Macassar ebony / European spruce
Hamblin GC - Macassar ebony / Italian spruce
Kronbauer SMB - Macassar ebony / Engelmann spruce
Baranik JX - Indian rosewood / German spruce
Sheppard GA - African blackwood / Bosnian spruce
Collings OM1
CA Cargo Raw | Ele
Old 08-17-2009, 06:10 PM

Oh dear. Two of thoses you photographed were calling to me to come home with me. I love those dark woods. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I thought it was the most amazing sounding guitar I've ever played.

This comment from Doug, regarding the sinker redwood Nightingale he demo'd for Kevin Ryan, carries a lot of weight with me. He's the owner of many a fine guitar, including the Claxton 13 fret Mal-o-many-wonders, which for many was the best sounding guitar at the 2005 show.

Doug, can you comment on the tonal qualities of the new Paradiso model vs. the Nightingale? Would you say it's very much like comparing a Mission with a Nightingale?

Thanks!
Scott
Old 08-19-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:

Edit: Actually, I think those two guitars may be by someone else - anyone have info on the new Baranik model?
Yes, Mike's guitars have a minimum of "bling" (unless you count the beautiful woods), but they sound just heavenly. The shorter scale instrument on the left played great, but I ordered the "full scale" Meridian, like second from the left, though it will have the other style of cutaway. For my ears, my playing style, etc, the best sounding guitar I've yet experienced.
Jenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion