The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-29-2009, 03:21 PM

Default loose neck

I've had a big baby taylor for about 8 years now. It goes on the road with me (I travel for work) and I really like it. So I changed strings recently and once I got all the old strings off, I noticed the neck moved a little. After further inspection, the neck wiggles maybe an 3/16" toward the back. 3/16" is measured from the body to the fret board. So out by the headstock it's a significant amount movement. Once the string tension is on, you can't tell. It goes back where it should be.

What's up with that? The guitar has always been well cared for, humidified, and kept in a case.

Anybody have any ideas on how to remedy the issue?
Old 07-29-2009, 03:25 PM

I don't know for sure if that would be a bolt-on neck, but if it is, the bolts could have loosened with repeated environmental changes over the years. If so, all it may need is for you to tighten the bolts inside the body.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 07-29-2009, 07:22 PM

If I recall correctly, there should be 2 phillips head screws on the fretboard. They just need to be tightened up.

I took the neck off my Big Baby to adjust the neck angle with a set of shims that I obtained, and it took 10 minutes to do the "neck reset". I think all you need to do it tighten those 2 screws with tension off the neck.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:27 AM

Unhappy Baby Taylor neck movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by apshaffer View Post
I've had a big baby taylor for about 8 years now. It goes on the road with me (I travel for work) and I really like it. So I changed strings recently and once I got all the old strings off, I noticed the neck moved a little. After further inspection, the neck wiggles maybe an 3/16" toward the back. 3/16" is measured from the body to the fret board. So out by the headstock it's a significant amount movement. Once the string tension is on, you can't tell. It goes back where it should be.

What's up with that? The guitar has always been well cared for, humidified, and kept in a case.

Anybody have any ideas on how to remedy the issue?
I have experienced the same issue lately. I called Taylor Guitars and they stated that it could be due to not providing enough humidity to the guitar. Sounds like that is not the issue for you if you have been keeping the guitar humidified. I checked the bolts and they are very tight already, so that rules out that possibility. I guess I will have to watch to see if the condition gets worse. With the strings back on the guitar I have noticed it seems to stay in tune just fine. Anyone else have any feedback from the similar issues?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair