The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-24-2009, 09:13 AM

Default Beyerdynamic Headphones

Does anyone have any experience with Beyerdynamic headphones? I am looking for comfortable high end headphone primarily for use as monitors. I also will use them to listen to music and occasionally in the radio studio for a show that I do.

I have been looking at DT 770's.

Thanks.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner View Post
Does anyone have any experience with Beyerdynamic headphones? I am looking for comfortable high end headphone primarily for use as monitors. I also will use them to listen to music and occasionally in the radio studio for a show that I do.

I have been looking at DT 770's.

Thanks.
DT770s are great cans. They sound fantastic and they're very comfortable. IIRC they are high impedance though and you'll need a headphone amp. Worth checking into.

They're also "open" cans which means that people around you will hear what you're listening too. Might be a problem for recording and radio - not sure.

GAD

GAD's Blog Why not check it out!
Old 07-24-2009, 02:21 PM

Beyerdynamic Headphones sound great, fairly flat response, but you NEED an amplifier with them usually. They have such low output when running off any kind of weak powered system. They perform nicely without distortion. I personally, despite the name branding and everything, REALLY enjoy my pair of Monster Beats By Dre studio headphones. I have never been a fan of monster in general, but upon hearing them at the demo station at bestbuy, I immediately bought a pair. They aren't all bass like one would assume by the Dr. Dre branding. I've owned my pair for almost a year without regret. They do distort a little more than I'd prefer but that's because I listen a little too loud than I should. Give them a try if you can all the local best buys have a demo. They look a little more stylish than the fuzzy bear beyerdynamics as well
1979 Yamaha L-5A
Old 07-24-2009, 04:44 PM

The thing with Beyers is that there are several different impedances, in several different years, of the same model, that sound completely different. Check out the forums at head-fi if you want a crash course in the different types.

Also, you will need one hell of an amplifier in most cases. Very picky headphones.

If you want open cans in this price range that don't require an amp, check these out:
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica.../dp/B00070GXBS

They will sound different, though. The AD900's have a flat response with a slight bass roll-off (more impact than the AD700, though) and HUGE soundstage. Pretty bright in the high-end, as well.

Also, remember to let any new pair of headphones burn-in for at least 100 hours before making any final judgment of them. Every headphone will sound like "a bad deal" at first listen. The drivers need to be worked in a little.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:05 PM

If you haven't visited head-fi yet, there's a lot of information to be had on that forum about headphones. Many members there love beyers, so there are a number of threads dedicated to that brand and others. Good luck.

Last edited by GibbySWD; 07-24-2009 at 05:06 PM. Reason: edit
Old 07-24-2009, 05:16 PM

Yay, another Head-Fi enthusiast! What's your username there? I'll add you.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Overtones View Post
Yay, another Head-Fi enthusiast! What's your username there? I'll add you.
My handle is JohnBender over there, although I research more on that forum than contribute.

The knowledge there was invaluable during my move from loudspeakers to headphones on my analog rig. I'm now powering a set of Sennheiser HD600s with a Musical Fidelity X-CanV2. I couldn't be happier. Cans offer a lot of bang for the buck!
Old 07-24-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbySWD View Post
My handle is JohnBender over there, although I research more on that forum than contribute.

The knowledge there was invaluable during my move from loudspeakers to headphones on my analog rig. I'm now powering a set of Sennheiser HD600s with a Musical Fidelity X-CanV2. I couldn't be happier. Cans offer a lot of bang for the buck!
Holy crap. I'm envious.

And yes they do, gotta love that extra detail! Though some people do miss the endless soundstage and chest-thumping yet not overpowering bass they get from speakers.

I'm using a semi-cruddy though good-enough "budget" setup: Phonak Audeo PFE directly out of a trusty old Aiwa PCDP (from back when those things sounded decent). I want to eventually end up with the ATH-AD900 directly out of some high-end soundcard in a desktop running WAV files, though. That should be a treat.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:04 PM

Thanks very much for these replies. I am a little concerned about the amplifier comments and some others. Tonight I found some Shure SRH 840's which I understand is their new monitor headphone.

The performance profile is the same and they work fine on all my low power stuff. They are true closed, over the ear cans with good isolation and are very comfortable. They were also about ten percent cheaper than the Beyers.

I think that they will be just fine. Thanks again.

Last edited by schooner; 07-24-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner View Post
Thanks very much for these replies. I am a little concerned about the amplifier comments and some others. Tonight I found some Shure SR840's which I understand is their new monitor headphone.

The performance profile is the same and they work fine on all my low power stuff. They are true closed, over the ear cans with good isolation and are very comfortable. They were also about ten percent cheaper than the Beyers.

I think that they will be just fine. Thanks again.
I've read rave reviews on those cans. Also, if you ever get the money, definitely try them with an amp - that should really bring out their true colors!

Have fun and happy listening!
Old 07-24-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
I'm using a semi-cruddy though good-enough "budget" setup: Phonak Audeo PFE directly out of a trusty old Aiwa PCDP (from back when those things sounded decent). I want to eventually end up with the ATH-AD900 directly out of some high-end soundcard in a desktop running WAV files, though. That should be a treat.
I'm not familiar with your current gear, but I do know that the AT stuff is top notch. Those 900s, from what I've read, will keep you glued to your computer.

Schooner, I've also heard good things about Shure headphones. You might also consider Sennheisers. I think they have some sealed designs that are very efficient, as well as comfortable. The same goes for Denon.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbySWD View Post
I'm not familiar with your current gear, but I do know that the AT stuff is top notch. Those 900s, from what I've read, will keep you glued to your computer.

Schooner, I've also heard good things about Shure headphones. You might also consider Sennheisers. I think they have some sealed designs that are very efficient, as well as comfortable. The same goes for Denon.
I don't think I've seen Denon and efficient in the same sentence before. They usually get good volume without an amp, but sound like poo without one.

Also, the PFE is a budget "almost giant killer" IEM. It comes with two filters - I use the gray one. Just check out this frequency response graph:

Absolutely awesome - almost completely flat, but with a slight treble boost with the gray filters. Detail is incredible, as well. Although it can make clipping and distortion a little unbearable.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
I don't think I've seen Denon and efficient in the same sentence before.
Well, same paragraph anyway.

At any rate, thanks for correcting this. I guess impedance ratings can sometimes be misleading. I heard some AH-D2000s that sounded great, and even though they were driven by a head amp, I was told they didn't need one. But sometimes salespeople will say anything to try to make a sale.

Last edited by GibbySWD; 07-24-2009 at 07:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-24-2009, 07:51 PM

Beyerdynamic DT770 headphones are closed-back (it's very hard for others to hear what you are hearing) and drive quite easily off headphone outputs from receivers (yeah, this despite whatever else was posted before in this thread - I have used these headphones for decades, ffolks!).

I have never heard an A-T unit to compete, k?

You could also look into the upper-end Sennheiser units and the Equation Audio RP-21 (not as comfy, but almost as nice sounding).

*everything* is a tone control

Last edited by donh; 07-24-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:45 PM

I am changing the direction of this thread, but the Shure SRH 840's are unbelievable. They are not even burned in yet and I am hearing things in recordings I have had for years that I have never heard before.

On a BB King live recording I was able to hear the pick click of his rhythm player and a car horn outside the venue.

These things are very detailed and transparent. I am very pleased and cannot imagine that the Beyers would be any better.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification