The Acoustic Guitar Forum  

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-13-2009, 04:14 PM
jerrywd jerrywd is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13
Default Yamaha Sj-180

Yamaha sj-180

Any opinions about this guitar? I've owned one for 20+ years and I am wondering what the thoughts are from the street on this model. By the way, how do I turn my subject line bold?

Last edited by jerrywd; 06-13-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-13-2009, 04:47 PM
BuckMahoney BuckMahoney is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Saskabush
Posts: 688
Default

Great guitar,i use it in allot of different tunings.Kinda weird how i got mine,it was on kijiji in the city so i got my friend to pick it up for me and he put it in the storage copartment under the bus,after a long vigorous ride without a case it came through all right,he almost didnt want to give it up when i handed him the money haha.Looks like its been close to allot of fires but it still carrys a tune and is a great strumming or fingerstyle guitar.The nut spacing is comfortable and i like the slightly beefy neck.all in all its a great guitar.
__________________
One should not be judged by
how they are treated,
rather how they treat others
My Tunes
Facebook
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-13-2009, 10:18 PM
JLS JLS is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kensington, CA
Posts: 885
Default Sj-180

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrywd View Post
Yamaha sj-180

Any opinions about this guitar? I've owned one for 20+ years and I am wondering what the thoughts are from the street on this model. By the way, how do I turn my subject line bold?
I have three of them now, fixing them up for resale; I've previously owned four. Excellent, underappreciated guitars; I think I did the first of my many Yamaha neck resets, on one. A properly installed JLD, and a properly cut nut, w/o the strings jammed to the center, are great mods for these. A better, tightly fitted saddle, should go w/o saying.

I've been kicking around the idea of converting one into a 12-string, w/a
Rick-style headstock, and 6 pin bridge. Maybe a red label FG-150, instead?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-13-2009, 11:39 PM
Kitchen Guitars's Avatar
Kitchen Guitars Kitchen Guitars is offline
AGF Sponsor formerly Yamaha Junkie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South West Pennsylvania
Posts: 7,240
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
I have three of them now, fixing them up for resale; I've previously owned four. Excellent, underappreciated guitars; I think I did the first of my many Yamaha neck resets, on one. A properly installed JLD, and a properly cut nut, w/o the strings jammed to the center, are great mods for these. A better, tightly fitted saddle, should go w/o saying.

I've been kicking around the idea of converting one into a 12-string, w/a
Rick-style headstock, and 6 pin bridge. Maybe a red label FG-150, instead?
Pretty sure the top will cave in from the pressure it was not built for. Go Rodger McGuinn, I have a double G guitar on my bench right now. And a 340 that will be an 8 string.
Have fun, post pictures
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-13-2009, 11:41 PM
BuckMahoney BuckMahoney is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Saskabush
Posts: 688
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
properly cut nut, w/o the strings jammed to the center,
should have mentioned the nut on mine wasn't the original.
__________________
One should not be judged by
how they are treated,
rather how they treat others
My Tunes
Facebook
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-14-2009, 01:18 PM
JLS JLS is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kensington, CA
Posts: 885
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Junkie View Post
Pretty sure the top will cave in from the pressure it was not built for. Go Rodger McGuinn, I have a double G guitar on my bench right now. And a 340 that will be an 8 string.
Have fun, post pictures
Not with a JLD installed.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-24-2012, 06:01 PM
Lunargent Lunargent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 114
Default What strings?

Hi, I was just given (!!) an SJ 180. What strings do you recommend?

I want something with light action and easy to play, while preserving as much of this guitar's lovely tone as possible.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-24-2012, 06:38 PM
p^h p^h is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunargent View Post
Hi, I was just given (!!) an SJ 180. What strings do you recommend?

I want something with light action and easy to play, while preserving as much of this guitar's lovely tone as possible.

Thanks
I'm pretty happy with D'Addario EJ16s on mine. I even tune down a half-step from time to time. Congrats on the gift! Fun guitar - for me the body size/shape and neck are almost perfect.
__________________
1993 Seagull S6 Cedar
1981 Yamaha SJ-180
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Loading

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=