The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Finger Joint 12 15.19%
Scarf Joint 67 84.81%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-2009, 02:19 AM

Default Anyone else prefer the Finger joint to the scarf joint?

I just can't stand the scarf joint that joins the neck to the headstock. It just looks goofy to me. Does anyone else feel the same way and like the finger joints better?
Gibson Dove Custom
Epiphone Acoustic
Fender 12 String
Old 05-08-2009, 05:36 AM

I would prefer a solid neck myself. Since Taylor has a lifetime warranty is should not matter, but usually 3 piece necks are on inexpensive guitars. I know they save alot of mahogany, but on your more expensive instruments they should have 1 piece solid. I would trade a 1 piece neck for the NT technology though in a heartbeat on any guitar.

Last edited by wooglins; 05-08-2009 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:26 AM

All the data has clearly shown that the fingerjoint and the scarfjoint are as strong if not stronger than a one piece neck. It's all about appearance. No one likes the look of the fingerjoint so they try to come up with a thousand reasons why it's no good, none of which make sense.

Custom builders still use one piece necks becuse it's also easier for them. They don't have access to the machinery that Taylor does so they can't implement that in a cost effective manner at this time. Eventually they will.

Many like to complain about Taylor's use of automation in the building process but have you noticed that gradually the smaller builders are switching to that as well. CNC, Fadal, poly finishes, etc. The smaller builders eventually start incorporating these practices as they see the cost effectiveness. In time, the two piece neck will also show up in their build process.

Nelson

2002 514ce
2003 414ce Ltd
2014 150e
2010 Fender Strat
2017 Les Paul Custom

Old 05-08-2009, 07:35 AM

I would like to be able to answer the poll question. I've seen the different joints, how they are made and fitted, but which one is better?

But one thing I do know is that the Taylor NT necks as a whole are outstanding in playability and as a mechanic, I like the fact that adjustments can be made in a matter of minutes. All 3 of my Taylors have such straight necks.

As far as looks, I like the look of a one piece neck, second the finger joint, then the scarf joint.
2007 Warwick corvette bass (Double Buck) 4 string
2009 Custom Coco/addi jumbo "Maranatha"
2010 412 Spring LTD

Amps- some of them
Peavey 100watt acoustic amp (very clean sounding)
Roland JC-120 head with 4x12 matching cabinet
Praise and Worship dude
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...44369/Guitars/
Old 05-08-2009, 08:57 AM

Wow. I didn't think anybody would prefer fingerjoint over the scarf joint. I guess I'm just thinking about fingerjoint moulding - the stuff at the Home Depot that you buy because it's cheaper and you're going to paint over it anyway.

I have the fingerjoint and I tolerate it because I love the guitar otherwise. That joint really shows up on a maple neck as opposed to mahogany necks. But if y'all like it, more power to ya!
Chuck
'04 Fender Standard Fretless Jazz Bass
'73 Fender Jazz Bass Ash/Maple
Old 05-08-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Many like to complain about Taylor's use of automation in the building process but have you noticed that gradually the smaller builders are switching to that as well. CNC, Fadal, poly finishes, etc.
Well, I think part of that is that the cost and scale of some of that has come down. You can buy a small shop, 110V CNC unit for a couple of thousand now. Just a few years ago, they were huge and upwards of twenty grand...

Same thing has been happening with HVLP paint systems. I've seen smaller units for under $500, that is pretty great!

All to the good as far as I'm concerned. :-)

-Jim
2009 Martin D-18
2011 Voyage-Air VAOM-02
2014 Martin CEO-7
2015 Gibson J-45
Old 05-08-2009, 01:05 PM

Good grief ... we're talking about joining two pieces of wood together.. . just play the thing...
Old 05-08-2009, 03:14 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeStrummer View Post
Good grief ... we're talking about joining two pieces of wood together.. . just play the thing...
Hey, it's a guitar forum.
If it were an audiophile forum folks would be arguing the best method for removing ear wax.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 05-08-2009, 03:29 PM

I like the scarf joint better as far as appearance goes. For some reason though, pre 2007 necks have a better feel to me then the new NT does. One thing I really do like about the NT neck is the ability to reset it without having to saw off the neck. Thats one of the BIG reasons i buy Taylor. As far as strength goes, a friends Taylor feel on the ground and was fine, but a friends Gibson feel on the ground and snap went the neck.
2001 Fender 50th Anniversary Precision Bass

(Past guitars)
200? Tacoma ER28c
2009 Taylor 714ce Spring Limited
Taylor 714ce-L1
R. Taylor Walnut/Sitka
Goodall RCJ
Taylor GS Macassar/Adirondack
Taylor 414ce-LTD
Taylor Custom GS Grafted Walnut/Sitka
Taylor 414-E-LTD
Taylor 410ce
Taylor 214
Tacoma DR55/DR28/ER28C
Old 05-08-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donfransisco View Post
I like the scarf joint better as far as appearance goes. For some reason though, pre 2007 necks have a better feel to me then the new NT does. One thing I really do like about the NT neck is the ability to reset it without having to saw off the neck. Thats one of the BIG reasons i buy Taylor. As far as strength goes, a friends Taylor feel on the ground and was fine, but a friends Gibson feel on the ground and snap went the neck.
A neck doesn't need to be sawn off on a dovetail joint to be reset...that's probably just 70's Yamaha FGs cause they used an epoxy that doesn't release with heat/moisture...if you heat/steam the joint, the glue releases on most Martins/Gibsons with dovetails...
Old 05-08-2009, 03:41 PM

Put another +1 in the scarf joint collumn from me.
One straight line just looks better to me than a bunch of teeth.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:46 PM

My 914ce has the finger joint. When I bought it, there wasn't a choice. I believe that Taylor is using the scarf joint on all of their guitars now. What one prefers, rather than what one has as an option at the time of purchase are two different things.
Taylor 914ce
Martin D28e Modern Deluxe
Fender American Stratocaster
Fender Custom Shop '55 Stratocaster (Sunburst Relic)
Fender Custom Shop '51 Nocaster (Blonde Relic)
Old 05-08-2009, 03:58 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donfransisco View Post
.....One thing I really do like about the NT neck is the ability to reset it without having to saw off the neck. ....

How a dove tail neck is re-set, from Frank Ford at Frets.com (pictorial);
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luth...28reset01.html

No saws were involved in the making of this pictorial..and no guitars were injured.

If somebody did a neck re-set by sawing off the neck, I suspect, as was noted above, the neck was either epoxied in, it was a Spanish heel design, or they didn't know what they were doing (or didn't care.)

Spanish heel neck re-set;
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luth...ichreset1.html

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,

Last edited by Jeff M; 05-08-2009 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-08-2009, 06:21 PM

This discussion always cracks me up. It's just like the Martin guys *****ing about "wings" on their headstocks. Too funny.

As far as preference goes, I have none. As far as functional capability goes, I think the finger joint is likely to be stronger, since there's way more surface area for glue, but I've heard that it's difficult to actually get enough glue into the joint to take advantage of it. In any case, both are probably just fine!

Just to fuel the fires, here's the finger joint shown at an angle that makes it very obvious. Most of the time, it was invisible to me:

Ibanez: 1980 AW-75 (Owari Asahi), 1982 M310 Maple series, 2012 AWS1000ECE Artwood Studio (MIC)
Favilla: ~1960 C-5 classical (NYC)
Old 05-08-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
.................................................. ................
Custom builders still use one piece necks becuse it's also easier for them. They don't have access to the machinery that Taylor does so they can't implement that in a cost effective manner at this time. Eventually they will.
.................................................. .........................................

That's just not true. Not for the scarf joint anyway. I can buy a $20 piece of Mahogany and produce an uncarved neck blank with a scarf joint and stacked heel (like Taylor uses) in a matter of minutes with my Table saw and basic hand tools. I can buy a $100 piece of Mahogany and produce 2 uncarved one piece neck blanks with my band saw and jointer in just a little longer. The 3 and 5 piece laminated necks I like to use take a little more money and time. I'm not knocking Taylor. Their necks are strong, and also look OK. They have to come up with enough Mahogany to make necks for 80,000 or so guitars a year. I'm just saying custom builders don't use one piece necks because they don't have the means to make a scarf joint.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion