The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-23-2009, 12:49 AM

Default Help with an old guitar

Hi, first of all I'm new around here, and this is my first post. My question is about an old guitar that my father just gave me about a week ago. It is a Conn f10. I was wondering if anyone was familiar with these guitars. He bought it in 1975, and has kept it in very good shape. I was also hopeful someone would know what woods were used to make it, whether or not it is a solid top, and the year it was made. If it helps any, the serial number is 74012753. It plays well, with a fairly low action, and not a lot of buzzing. I have noticed, however, that it does go out of tune more frequently than my Washburn D10S. Is there anything I can do to help with this? Thanks!!
Old 04-23-2009, 04:54 AM

Can't help with the guitar but I can welcome you to the forum. You've come to the right place for help. I'm sure with the vast collective store of knowledge and wisdom here someone will come through. Again-welcome.
Dale
Old 04-23-2009, 04:57 AM
Musical minimalist

most of those questions could be answered pretty easily if you take it to a good tech. Without having the guitar in your hands it's not easy to tell about the woods (and if they are solid) If you post some pics, we can probably give you an idea.
Also, regarding going out of tune, it's very possible you need to put new strings on it if you haven't already.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:04 AM

The company Conn is more known for band instruments but for a while in the 70's they had classical and steel-string guitars built in Japan. I know the classicals were primarily built by Aria who at that time made pretty darned quality low-end to mid-range stringed instruments. If it were a "C10" that would have been an entry-level (probably all laminated) classical guitar so your "F10" is probably a "folk" sized steel-string of similar quality.

If so, no surprise it has held up well over the years if well cared for. A laminated construction is less prone to warping or cracking with humidity changes. It probably does not have an adjustable truss rod and the neck will be glued in, perhaps even with epoxy or something not easily removable. So given the likely minimal value of the instrument--something like a "C10" would fetch $100-odd on eBay--what it comes down to is if it's playable as is or perhaps needs a little setup work (nut or saddle adjustment, maybe a bit of work on a couple frets) you've got a player. Otherwise, more of a conversation piece.

Put a straightedge on the fretboard and see if the neck is reasonably straight. Measure the action at the 12th fret and see if it's below 1/8". Maybe have someone put a little fret rocker on each fret and make sure there aren't one or two that stick up too high. If it's playable now the good news is with light-gauge strings and any reasonable standard of care it's likely to stay playable for quite a while.

P.S. I must caution that I'm not a luthier, just an enthusiastic guitar player and owner who likes to do simple maintenance at home with a few inexpensive tools and gauges.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 04-23-2009, 05:18 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post

P.S. I must caution that I'm not a luthier
but he did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night

Sorry Brent, I couldn't resist....

Old 04-23-2009, 05:19 AM

Classical guitar, model C 10, made by Aria in Japan in the 70's. It has 19 frets,the wood is of fine quality Spruce top, Opalaca back and sides, solid rosewood fingerboard and rosewood bridge. [Source: http://reviews.harmony-central.com/r.../CONN/C10/10/1 ]
Old 04-23-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisboy View Post
... It is a Conn f10. ... bought it in 1975, ... what woods were used to make it, whether or not it is a solid top, and the year it was made. If it helps any, the serial number is 74012753.... it does go out of tune more frequently than my Washburn D10S. Is there anything I can do to help with this? Thanks!!
Conn were built in Japan circa 1968 to 1978. The US distributor was Conn/Continental Music Company of Chicago, IL. Conn offered both classical models and steel 6 & 12 string acoustic models, built by Aria and Company in Japan. Many models of student and intermediate quality and some had bolt on necks. (source: Michael Wright, Guitar Stories, Volume One.)

The woods could be almost anything. If you can't determine what they are, perhaps a qualified guitar shop could.

Look at the wood grain around the sound hole. Do you see lamination lines or wood grain? Compare the wood grain on the outside of the guitar to that on the inside (for the top use a mirror inside). If the grain is the same it is most likely to be solid. If the gain doesn't match then it is laminated. This inspection can be done for top, back and sides.

From the serial number I would guess the guitar was made in 1974. "74"012753

Most of these less expensive guitars had (have) very inexpensive components. The tuners probably have either an age-induced weakness or were originally weak and are slipping. Or the guitar isn't strung properly and the strings are slipping. Try restringing, tightening the tuner parts or replacing the tuners with better ones.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:14 AM

Thanks for the help! I wasn't expecting to hear anything this soon. I'm working right now, but when I get home I will take a look at the wood grain. I replaced the strings on Sunday, so I know they are ok. There is a good shop here in town, and Saturday I will take the guitar there to have him give it a once over, and maybe replace the tuners. I will post a pic when I get home if that helps. Thanks
Old 04-23-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian a. View Post
Conn were built in Japan circa 1968 to 1978. The US distributor was Conn/Continental Music Company of Chicago, IL. Conn offered both classical models and steel 6 & 12 string acoustic models, built by Aria and Company in Japan. Many models of student and intermediate quality and some had bolt on necks. (source: Michael Wright, Guitar Stories, Volume One.)
While the author (Michael Wright) lends credit to Aria as the "builder", they were actually the company that designed and exported Conn guitars. Aria also did the design and export of "regional" and "store brand" guitars. But Aria didn't have it's own manufacturing facility at that time and the production was contracted out. Aria didn't have it's own production facility until 1987, when it shifted production to Korea.

The actual physical manufacturing of Aria and Conn guitars was done by the Matsumoku factory (Matsumoto, Japan). Matsumoku Industrial started as a company that made sewing machine cabinets for Singer Sewing Machine Co of Nagoya, Japan. Matsumoku eventually began to employ skilled luthiers and started to make violins and guitars by the mid 1950's. Shiro Arai, a classical guitarist, started a company called Aria Guitars in the late 1950's and became Matsumoku's biggest contractor until Matsumoku closed in 1987, when Singer nearly went bankrupt and Matsumoku couldn't sustain itself.

Over the years, Matsumoku literally made scores of different brands of guitars, including...

Washburn
Fender (Japanese Strats)
Aria
Univox
Electra
Lyle
Westone
Conn
Skylark (a JC Penney "house" brand)
Greco
Epiphone (1960's and 70's Japan models)
Guyatone
Vantage
Westminster
Fell

These are just off the top of my head. Matsumoku made a lot of guitars for a lot of companies and stores. I have a 1973 Aria (Model 1932) SG copy that's an absolute beast. It's a tone monster with a fantastic neck and it's built like a tank. It's waaaay more sturdy than the Gibson SG it's copied from. Granted, it's a bolt-on copy, but a darned good one!

Here's a great place to learn more about Matsumoku-made guitars if you're interested...

http://www.matsumoku.org/guitars.html

Last edited by Buck62; 04-23-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:46 PM

Default aria acoustic guitar help

does anyone know about old aria guitars? i just bought one for $40 and the guy said its really old. it has a number printed on a tag inside the guitar i am almost positive it reads TF 9600C. i could not find this number anywhere on the aria website as a model number; i doubt it could be a serial number because the tag has a place for a serial number and it is left blank. also, the method aria used to assign serial numbers does not match this pattern. help anyone? i just want to know what i have, thanks.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariaguitarist View Post
does anyone know about old aria guitars? i just bought one for $40 and the guy said its really old. it has a number printed on a tag inside the guitar i am almost positive it reads TF 9600C. i could not find this number anywhere on the aria website as a model number; i doubt it could be a serial number because the tag has a place for a serial number and it is left blank. also, the method aria used to assign serial numbers does not match this pattern. help anyone? i just want to know what i have, thanks.
Some pics would help.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:10 PM

Default some pics of my aria

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Here are some pics. Unfortunately the tag is slightly torn at the beginning of the only number the tag has. The shiny sticker on the back of the head reads: "Onondaga Music Co. Inc. 412 S. Clinton St., Syracuse, N.Y." Probably where it was purchased at one time. Much thanks to anyone who can help.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:45 AM

These catalogs might help

Aria guitar catalogs http://www.matsumoku.org/models/aria/aria_catalogs.html

Aria Pro II catalogs 1977 - 1985 http://www.matsumoku.org/models/aria..._catalogs.html

1983 http://brochures.yokochou.com/en_index.html

Aria acoustic catalogs 70, 76 and more including Elecord http://www.t-shiga.com/sub7-5-1.htm
Old 12-01-2012, 11:07 AM

Default Conn F-10 Guitar

Your Conn F-10 guitar is solid Sitka Spruce on it's top and solid something else on the back and sides. It is not an expensively made guitar and in 1977 sold for $199.00, which is prolly comparable to....what?....300-400 dollars today? I received one as a gift in 1980 and have played it almost daily since. I use Elixir light strings and have no problems. Sounds awesome. BTW, it does have an adjustable truss rod as I've adjusted mine twice and re-glued the bridge a year ago. The action is nice and low and kind to my old fingers. It ain't a TaylorGibsonMartin, etc... but it plays well and every Monday morning at 10 AM the residents of Lexington House Retirement Center love the sound it makes on old gospel hymns. Ive installed a sound hole mike and run it through a Ibanez Troubador 30 watt practice amp. Not too loud but fine for smaller rooms. Let me add this, it's amazing how an Alzheimer patient that don't even know their name, if you asked, can suddenly remember every word to "Amazing Grace" when it starts.
Keep your Conn, it's worth more to you than anyone else.
God Bless,

Russell

Last edited by floydlong; 12-01-2012 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Add picture

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion