The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-06-2009, 03:55 PM

Default Nitro finishes: what do you think about them?

I've been trying to understand the pros and cons of nitrocellulose finishes and want to query my AGF friends. The one thing I think I've determined is that there seems to be no perfect finish.

What do you like or dislike about nitro finishes? Is nitro your favorite? Least favorite? Or does it really matter to you what the finish is?

If it's not your favorite, what do you like better, and why?

Thanks much.

Bill
Old 04-06-2009, 04:04 PM
Bang for the Buck Guitars

i personally like UV finish. i just like the fact that there's almost nothing to worry about with UV finished guitars.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:10 PM

PROS
- Nitro finishes are nearly always thinner than synthetics and thin is good when applied to a vibrating surface like a guitar top.
- Nitro "ages" with the guitar's wood, usually yellowing with exposure to UV and airborne crap like smoke, giving an older nitro finished guitar that classic "mojo" look (some see this as a negative).
- Nitro just plain ol' feels better to the touch than poly-shot guitars!

CONS
- Nitro will "check" or develop hairline cracks given time (and will do it quickly if a cold instrument is exposed to warm air suddenly). Some don't see this as a negative, however (I know I don't!).
- Nitro is a softer finish and will not resist minor bumps as well as poly.
- Nitro is generally not as durable as poly finishes. Over time they will wear thin in areas subject to regular contact (such as forearm contact with the lower bout).

I'm sure there's more.........stay tuned!!
Old 04-06-2009, 04:13 PM

Nitro seems to show off the wood better, It's easier to repair, and It looks really cool when it ages. It's thin.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:21 PM

Not an evironmentally-friendly finish. Their fumes are very toxic and you have to wear a good resporator when spraying them.

BIG GAP in GAS
'87 Guild D25-12 w/ K&K PWM- acquired in '07
'12 Voyage Air VAMD-02
'16 Alvarez MFA70- new to the herd 1/4/17
Ultrasound AG50DS4

Now playing in honor of The Bandito of Bling, TBondo & Dickensdad
Old 04-06-2009, 04:23 PM

I really don't care what kind of finish a good quality guitar has. As long as it has good sound, good playability and looks good (to me)...

It's good.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:24 PM
Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buc McMaster View Post
PROS
- Nitro finishes are nearly always thinner than synthetics and thin is good when applied to a vibrating surface like a guitar top.
I don't know about always, this is really dependant on the finisher, not the finish type.
Thin is better, unless you like that muffled sound.

Quote:
....- Nitro "ages" with the guitar's wood, usually yellowing with exposure to UV and airborne crap like smoke, giving an older nitro finished guitar that classic "mojo" look (some see this as a negative).
I like that look too. You can add color (amber) to UV finish that gives it that aged look immediately.
I think traditionalists like the look, even new. It has an "organic" quality about it.

Quote:
.... Nitro just plain ol' feels better to the touch than poly-shot guitars!.......
I like poly UV better, especially after years of playing. I do understand that many like the feel of nitro better. In talking with dozens of people about making a guitar, I have not had one person request nitro.

Your "cons" are right on.

Some think that repairability is a "pro" for nitro. That's certainly arguable, largely because of the aging thing - the repair will always be visible at some level.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:28 PM

i like french polish, but for the road it is not practical.. my nitro´s ones
go more with sweat, dirt and weather changes.

Eblen
Old 04-06-2009, 04:38 PM

Location: Boney Mountain, just up Sycamore Canyon From Malibu

Strictly from the perspective of an owner - and assuming both Poly UV and Nitro are applied in comparable quality - I appreciate the fact that the poly UV is harder and more resistant to checks/cracking. But I am attracted to older Nitro finish instruments. I'm not sure that I want my UV Poly finished guitar looking new after a decade of play. Really, I could care less for the most part, as I have a good example of each finish and the guitars sound and look great!

If I was traveling and performing with a fine guitar I think the UV finish would be a definite advantage, though.
Baranik CX Mad Rose/Western Red Cedar
Old 04-06-2009, 04:42 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
PROS

- Nitro "ages".... an older nitro finished guitar that classic "mojo" look (some see this as a negative).

- Nitro just plain ol' feels better to the touch....
I'm with you on those points.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
...What do you like or dislike about nitro finishes? Is nitro your favorite? Least favorite? Or does it really matter to you what the finish is?
Hi Bill...
I am ambivalent on Nitro versus UV - as long as the finish is applied evenly and thin, that's what I care about.

I own an Olson with Nitro, and played one of his new ones with UV a couple years back at his shop, and if I could have had that on my Cedar topped Dreadnaught - it would likely not look like it has been in a warzone...

Modern finishes and finishers are formulating the finishes very equally thin, so even though I love the ''amber'' effect on all three of mine, I'd still opt for more protective finish on my road guitars and cedar tops...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-06-2009, 05:08 PM

I'm new to nitro finishes, but I discovered quickly that they are VERY easy to damage. The slightest bump can dent or chip the finish.

I like the look and feel of nitro better.
PRS SE Custom 24
Old 04-06-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
Or does it really matter to you what the finish is?
Three point sermon.
1- Sound
2- Playability
3- Build Quality
Anything more in nitpickin.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
PROS
- Nitro "ages" with the guitar's wood, usually yellowing with exposure to UV and airborne crap like smoke, giving an older nitro finished guitar that classic "mojo" look (some see this as a negative).
- Nitro just plain ol' feels better to the touch than poly-shot guitars!

CONS
- Nitro will "check" or develop hairline cracks given time (and will do it quickly if a cold instrument is exposed to warm air suddenly). Some don't see this as a negative, however (I know I don't!).
- Nitro is a softer finish and will not resist minor bumps as well as poly.
- Nitro is generally not as durable as poly finishes. Over time they will wear thin in areas subject to regular contact (such as forearm contact with the lower bout).

I'm sure there's more.........stay tuned!!
That's a great summary. Although I don't personally notice any "feel" difference between polyurethane and nitrocellulose. Most of my guitars are nitro, and I really do like the way it ages. That said, the checking issue is a serious problem for anyone who wants to keep their guitar relatively pristine over the years. Very hard to do, even when you're not abusive.
Ibanez: 1980 AW-75 (Owari Asahi), 1982 M310 Maple series, 2012 AWS1000ECE Artwood Studio (MIC)
Favilla: ~1960 C-5 classical (NYC)
Old 04-06-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycrotone View Post
Three point sermon.
1- Sound
2- Playability
3- Build Quality
Anything more in nitpickin.
Hi Ron,

I agree those things matter (but where's the poem? ). Are you saying that you prefer nitro because it fulfills your "sermon points" or are you simply pointing out that any finish that does them is fine with you?

Putting it another way, how does nitro square with your three points, in your opinion?

Thanks,
Bill

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion