The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-21-2009, 07:51 PM

Default Alvarez 5014 guitar

Hello, I am a big fan of this model. I know its' a cheapy, but I have two of them. One has the adjustable bridge and the other does not. I have only seen one of these that has the regular bridge and the top looks to be solid. Some areas around the soundhole shows the grain as continuous and other parts doesn't. Did Alvarez ever make this model with a solid top? And if so, did it have a regular(not adjustable) bridge? Thanks
Old 03-22-2009, 12:11 PM

Hi guitarmanrlk,

This is my first post (after watching for several months), so I hope I get it right...

I bought my 5014 new in 1974, and have held onto it because it sounds sweet and plays easily. I followed their models as best as I could for the times (factory brochures), and don't recall them changing this model to solid top, unless yours was produced earlier or I missed it later, which is entirely possible. Someone in the forum--a dealer in those times, perhaps--may know better.

I have the brochure around here somewhere for that year, & will scan it if I can find it. I haven't seen one without the adjustable saddle. I've been tempted to replace mine with a solid bridge/bone saddle and nut, but never figured it'd be worth the expense.

I'm playing a set of Thomastik-Infield AC111 low tension strings on mine right now, and it's never sounded better!

-Bill
2007 Fender American Deluxe V-neck Stratocaster (alder/maple 2-Color Sunburst)
2004 Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (alder/rosewood 2-Color Sunburst)
2009 Logan Custom Telecaster (natural cherry/rosewood)
Old 03-22-2009, 12:31 PM

Welcome to the forum guitarmanrlk and billrenn. No feedback on your Alvarez just a warm welcome to the forum.
'08 Martin HD28
Old 03-25-2009, 09:32 PM

Thanks all.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion