The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-21-2000, 01:55 PM

Exclamation 510 vs. 812C - Help!

First, congrats to my friend J.R. (formerly known as Cypher) for this great place to talk about the best acoustics around.

I own a 510, which I love cause of the big tone that comes from this guitar. But today I received an offer for a possible trade, for a 812C in the same condition as my 510. And I should give around 200 bucks into the deal.

I played the 812 and it doesn't sound big as the 510, but sounded nice. And it is electric too, but that doesn't bother me. Usually, I play jazz and blues with the 510, and I wonder if someone could give me some info on what are the pros and cons of this trade.

Thanks in advance!

------------------
Felipe Nacif

Old 09-21-2000, 02:14 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Talking

Hi, Felipe my fellow Terry C. McInturff and PRS friend! Welcome to the Forum.

DOH!!! You divulged my previous identity!

The 812C is probably going to be a better fingerstyle guitar than a flatpicking guitar like the 510. The x12-series are known for their tight bass, and rich separation between the notes, making it excellent for recording purposes, and also a little more feedback resistant (from my personal experience with a 712). If the 812C also has a pickup, that's an added bonus. It sounds like a really good deal on your end - trade a basic 510 for a deluxe model Taylor (the 812c) for only $200 difference. Another plus is that the 812 is much more comfortable to hold, as it has a shallower body with smaller dimensions - i.e. it doesn't cut into your ribs as much as the full-size dreadnought.

The real question is whether or not you personally like the sound of the 812. They do sound quite different.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

J.R. Rogers
Old 09-21-2000, 02:33 PM

My impressions about the sound were kinda obvious as first impressions: "less" sound, or less volume, of course.
Since this is Taylor vs. Taylor, I don't really care about quality, both guitars are the same, and the only big difference I see is the Rosewood vs. Mahogany body.

For acoustic purposes, I thought the 510 sounded better, mainly because of the volume, since the 812 is at the store and I couldn't really a/b the guitars.

I might come back at the store and find out what to do. I could buy it too, but I'm currently saving money for ANOTHER TCM
(I'm sick)

------------------
Felipe Nacif

Old 09-21-2000, 05:23 PM

I love my 510 to pieces...When I bought mine I tried a couple of the 812's and came to the same conclusion as you...more money...less sound..Take the 200 and put it towards some electronics..unless of course you prefer the lighter tones of the small bodies. For me the 510 is perfect for my "only" acoustic (for now at least)Maybe one day one of those 7 series with the cedar top....
Old 09-22-2000, 08:54 AM

Talking

Hey fellows,

I went back to the store and tried it again. Very nice guitar, great tone, but I decided to keep the 510. Like Bo said, a powerful tone, and since I played clasical since I was a kid, the big body doesn't bother me.
I'll look for a x14 in the future, maybe, like Bo again , a 714ce.

Thanks for the help!

------------------
Felipe Nacif

Old 09-22-2000, 11:10 PM
Jim

My 510 was my first Taylor. When I later bought a Custom Shop rosewood/Engleman Celtic 14 I thought that I would sell my 510 to give me the down payment, but I couldn't bear to part with it so I kept it. Even though I had to pinch pennies for a year to keep it while I paid for my new guitar, I'm so happy I did 'cause it has such a great sound that I play it several times a week.
Old 09-28-2000, 02:48 PM

Thumbs up

I love my 510 and I'm glad that you decided to keep yours. I have a sound hole mounted Fishman Rare Earth™ Blend Pickup. This has been a great addition to my 510 and I would highly recommend any Fishman pickup as a great addition to your 510.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion