The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-20-2000, 12:21 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Talking Any comments on the 655CE?

Ok, I can't contain my excitement! My 655CE should arrive at the store in less than 6 more days. I should have it around the first of October. It was originally scheduled for delivery on August 10th, but I hear they ran out of good maple because of Jim Grainger's Doyle Dykes model. hehe No, seriously... According to Taylor, they went to stain the guitar blue and the quilt disappeared. That happens on certain pieces of maple apparently, and when it does, they have to re-build the guitar.

I've played a 655CE only once in a store, but it was enough to make me sell both my W65 and 355. I love the cutaway because I like to play up high on the neck, and the maple body responds VERY well to the 12-string configuration. It sounded like "angels" when played softly, but really cut-through when you played it hard... it seemed to respond very well with lots of attack.

Does anyone else here own one or has played one and can offer some comments?

Thanks for helping me weather these last few days before it arrives. I've been waiting for this for a LONG time!

J.R.
Old 09-20-2000, 08:44 AM

I've had a couple pass through here, & they were REALLY strong & clear up the neck. I personally prefer the warmer, thumpier tone of mahogany, but I'm playing in a different register since I only would need 3 frets on my 12 string. We DO check the higher frets on stuff that comes in for work though, and the maple seems to have a shimmering clarity nothing else has.

They don't build it now, but the absolute best 12-string I have ever held in my hands is a 650 that came in for a neck reset from somewhere in Florida about 5 years ago. It was so good that I got behind on my other repair work because it took so much "checking out..;-)" to make sure it played OK. Of course, I had to "wait till Monday" to ship it, so we didn't risk it having to sit on a UPS truck in the hot Florida sun over the weekend...... Bloody finger weekend!

------------------
http://www.CustomFret.com
Old 09-20-2000, 11:48 AM

Exclamation

Actually, JR, they were using all their good maple for my new bass!! I know how you feel about waiting, though its only been two months for the AB-3 (due to ship Friday). I have learned major patience this summer, however, as I am one of the deranged folks who ordered a Chrysler PT Cruiser (thats a car, not a guitar), and have been waiting since early April for it to arrive. It, too, is due in the next week or so, so I'll probably take pictures of the guitar in front of the car!!
Old 09-20-2000, 02:02 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Hey! I'd love to see those pictures. The PT Cruiser sure is a beauty. I know you'll enjoy it. What color did you get?

J.R.
Old 09-27-2000, 04:22 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Talking

Ok, I verified that the 655CE is actually in transit to the store. I should have it by next Friday. Photos will follow. I can't wait!

J.R.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:51 AM

I wonder if J.R. still has that 655ce 12 string?
Old 12-13-2016, 10:07 AM

Had me wondering too. I bought the last jumbo 615 that Taylor built in 2010 a couple of years ago (2014) as four year old NOS.

And resurrecting a 16 year thread almost deserves an award....... I don't recall many that sat dormant for so long only to rise again, Phoenix-like from the ashes.

Last edited by Earl49; 12-13-2016 at 12:22 PM. Reason: correcting a tpyo......
Old 12-13-2016, 02:02 PM

This is my guitar/zombie thread picture.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion