The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-23-2008, 05:36 AM

Default Maple fingerboard vs. Rosewood fingerboard

Hey guys/girls...I am about to take the plunge on a Fender American deluxe Strat. what are you opinions/preferences on the fingerboard material? I know alot of people live by the maple fingerboard and claim it gives it a brighter sound, and I know others who would prefer to have a rosewood board. What are your opinions and why....BTW since it is always asked, and for good reason, I play mostly Praise and worship music as well as country, and classic rock stuff.

Thanks ahead of time!

Lee
'05 Takamine G320 (beach/beater guitar)
'03 Gibson Les Paul standard plus Desert Burst
ESP bass
Yamaha APX-700
Johnson Madolin
Old 12-23-2008, 06:29 AM

I'm sure this will help (some sarcasm). I have 2 Fenders - one maple, one rosewood. I like both. The Tele is maple and Strat is rosewood.

If you want country tone I'd be more concerned over Tele vs. Strat, same for jazzy tones where the Strat bridge can sound too thin and/or sharp for official twang and I feel the Strat neck playing is also not as warm or fat. This is not criticism of either just pointing out core differences.

Just go play instruments and remember to factor in what fresh strings and proper setup will do to any guitar.

Have fun shopping and playing them!
Old 12-23-2008, 10:34 AM

I prefer the feel of maple necks. I'm one of the possibly few who doesn't think there's much, if any, tonal difference between the two necks. I just don't like the way rosewood neck feels.

And I know you weren't asking for suggestions on your new guitar, but if you get the chance, try a G&L Legacy.

P.S. That's what the alphabet would look like if there was no Q and R.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

[quote=drjordan;1690441] I'm one of the possibly few who doesn't think there's much, if any, tonal difference between the two necks. quote]
I think there are a lot of us actually.

I can't tell the difference in tone, but I tend to look at the fretboard when I'm playing note runs and I definitely SEE the strings better with a rosewood background.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:14 AM

I own a Strat deluxe, an 08 version, so probably the same model you're about to buy.. I can tell you its an excellent guitar. I debated over the same thing you are before getting mine, and i went with the rosewood. I play a lot of blues/rock, and have found the rosewood to be a better fit. (Eric Clapton might disagree, however). On another note, the Bill Lawrence pickups in the S-1 are incredibly versatile, its easily one of the most warm/mellow/smooth ( on clean setting) strats i've heard, but add a little drive and its screaming Robert Cray lines easily. I play jazz lines, blues, fingerstyle on mine and it fits each task easily. The locking tuners are a breeze as well, as i play on 11's. I highly recommend it. I am curious though, as you play praise & worship/country, why you wouldn't check out the am deluxe tele?
Old 12-23-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyleharris View Post
I am curious though, as you play praise & worship/country, why you wouldn't check out the am deluxe tele?
Just for the reason that after playing a bunch of both teles and strats, the tone and the versatility of the strat is more appealing to me. I like the teles dont get me wrong but the strat tone is what I want.
ESP bass
Yamaha APX-700
Johnson Madolin
Old 12-23-2008, 01:25 PM

I've never heard of the whole sound controversy but I love the feel of maple .
Old 12-23-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor_guy414 View Post
Just for the reason that after playing a bunch of both teles and strats, the tone and the versatility of the strat is more appealing to me. I like the teles dont get me wrong but the strat tone is what I want.
If its versatility you want.. you're making a great choice! I think the rosewood is a much better feel. The maple necks have felt a bit 'gummy' to me, im not sure how to describe it.. You really can't go wrong with either.. I dont think many could hear a strat and tell you what kind of fretboard it is either. How it feels in your hand is where it takes precedence for me.. I like the rose.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:01 PM

The maple neck may be a hair brighter sounding, but mostly it's a look and feel preference.

Fender guitars are bright sounding normally, so the difference may be negligible in a blind test between guitars identical except for the fretboards.

Ovation CSE24
Old 12-23-2008, 03:35 PM

I've always heard that maple boards are faster playing than rw, due to the finish v. unfinished surface. Your mileage may vary.

BIG GAP in GAS
'87 Guild D25-12 w/ K&K PWM- acquired in '07
'12 Voyage Air VAMD-02
'16 Alvarez MFA70- new to the herd 1/4/17
Ultrasound AG50DS4

Now playing in honor of The Bandito of Bling, TBondo & Dickensdad
Old 12-23-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjordan View Post
I prefer the feel of maple necks. I'm one of the possibly few who doesn't think there's much, if any, tonal difference between the two necks. I just don't like the way rosewood neck feels.

And I know you weren't asking for suggestions on your new guitar, but if you get the chance, try a G&L Legacy.
I've had this conversation with a respected luthier in our area and he says that when it comes to electric guitars, the pickups, scale, and bridge account for probably 90% or more of the tone, with all the other things we tend to worry about (body wood, fretboard material, etc.) combining for the remaining 10%. When you introduce an amp, and perhaps pedals into the mix, the contribution made by the fretboard material goes down even further (or at least is easily compensated for). So he encouraged me to go with what looks and feels good - so I ended up with one of each and enjoy both.

I too play mostly praise music and would have to second the comments by the gentleman quoted above. I started out searching for a Fender Strat and found that the G&L Legacy (I have the HB model with a nice humbucker in the bridge position) gave me an even broader range of tones to work with to adapt quickly to differing song styles. G&L's use of seperate bass and treble knobs seems to give me better control than a single tone knob. I was very impressed with the quality of workmanship as well. I don't want to start a debate - you certainly can't go wrong with a Fender Strat, but for my own needs I'm glad I took the time to play a G&L as well.

At the end of the day, take comfort in the fact that you can't make a "wrong" decision regarding the fretboard. Go with the one that gets you excited and makes you want to play!

My songs on SoundClick

Martin DC-16RGTE Aura
Taylor GA3-12
G&L Legacy HB (Strat)
G&L ASAT Bluesboy (Tele)
Gibson VOS '58 Les Paul
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Old 12-23-2008, 04:47 PM

FWIW.....speaking entirely from my own experience (i own several of each variety) ....the strat with a rosewood fretboard is a more "whole" sound..more rounded while the tele with a male fretboard is more responsive and diverse within the scope of certain "unexplainable parameters".
there is magic in both and limitations (though few) with either one.
on the otherhand, i have a '51 strat copy that has a tele neck, single pole neck and dual pole with biasing that, even though a very cheap imitation (squire) has some of each's assets.
in playing jazz or blues i am inclined to plat the more "robert cray" type sounds on the strat and the more "lightning hopkins" kinda vibes on the tele..if that makes any sense.
for years, i much have opted for archtops and semi-hollows (still REALLY like them alot) but, recently i've been on a tele binge and just love the maple necks..
Old 12-23-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthumb View Post
FWIW.....speaking entirely from my own experience (i own several of each variety) ....the strat with a rosewood fretboard is a more "whole" sound..more rounded while the tele with a maple fretboard is more responsive and diverse within the scope of certain "unexplainable parameters".
there is magic in both and limitations (though few) with either one.
on the otherhand, i have a '51 strat copy that has a tele neck, single pole neck and dual pole with biasing that, even though a very cheap imitation (squire) has some of each's assets.
in playing jazz or blues i am inclined to plat the more "robert cray" type sounds on the strat and the more "lightning hopkins" kinda vibes on the tele..if that makes any sense.
for years, i much have opted for archtops and semi-hollows (still REALLY like them alot) but, recently i've been on a tele binge and just love the maple necks..
to each his/her own....ya just gotta play ALOT of them and then, ...maybe....decide for yourself.

hasn't worked for me yet...i love 'em ALL!
Old 12-23-2008, 05:17 PM

I like maple. But not the satin finish common on a lot of modern strats and teles. For me it has to be the laquered maple necks popular on 60's/70's style instruments. If it's satin, it feels dry to me!! If that makes sense.

Cheers,
Davey.
All regularly gigged.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:00 AM

what about the neck shapes? what are your preferences there...from what I have read the "modern C" is a good all around neck...what are the differences in the V and the C is it shape or thickness or what?
ESP bass
Yamaha APX-700
Johnson Madolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification